So... what is everyone using their Stand In Switches for?

Chad Beattie

Experienced
For me, I'm still figuring out workflow, but so far have this using FC-12:

SW1: Tap Tempo / Tuner
SW2: Next Scene / Prev Scene
SW3: CS1 / CS2
SW4: Effects Layout / Preset Layout

And not stand in switches, but using Pedal 3/4 to help re-sync LFO. I set LFO 1 & 2 Stop/Run to use switches on Pedals 3 and 4. They are set so when you push a switch down it stops the LFO and when you let up it starts again.

At this point I have too many options and need to probably just get an FC-6 and one expression pedal before I overcomplicate things too much ;)

I'm currently using one as a tap tempo, and it works great. I'll probably add two more- one set momentary for the fx loop with a Digitech Freqout, and one set latching for the TC Electronic Mimiq. I currently run the Freqout and Mimiq set the same way on the FC-12, and it works great.

I just got everything programmed on a big board- I'm using the FC-6 as a master control for presets and layouts on the FC-12, a little bit like the Killer App example in the manual- it's amazing.

Scenes 1-4 .... cause that is how many I use per song/preset. This way I can use just 1 layout on the FC-6 for Presets 1-3, Bank up, Bank Down, and Tap/Tuner.

For me, I'm still figuring out workflow, but so far have this using FC-12:

SW1: Tap Tempo / Tuner
SW2: Next Scene / Prev Scene
SW3: CS1 / CS2
SW4: Effects Layout / Preset Layout

And not stand in switches, but using Pedal 3/4 to help re-sync LFO. I set LFO 1 & 2 Stop/Run to use switches on Pedals 3 and 4. They are set so when you push a switch down it stops the LFO and when you let up it starts again.

At this point I have too many options and need to probably just get an FC-6 and one expression pedal before I overcomplicate things too much ;)

Question: For Scene you indicate one switch for Next and Prev. I assume you are using a momentary switch and set up something like "Tap" to increment and "Hold" to decrement - or vice versa? If so I can get, also using a momentary switch, the set "Tap," by itself, no Hold function defined, to work as an increment with Wrap around from 1,2,3, ...8,1,2,3.... etc. all day long (or set it up to decrement and work backwards all day long) .

However, as soon as I try and to reverse that, i.e., decrement Scenes, by defining and using the Hold configuration to decrement then the "Tap to increment" just decrements now. I've also tried all permutations of using upper limit/lower limits (1-8; 8-1) and wrap/ no warp on the "Tap" setup and the "Hold" - once Hold is set up TAP follows Holds configuration and Hold does nothing?

I've tried all the other permutations as well (defining Switch type as "Virtual toggle," and "Follow hardware," and even reverse polarity but for a momentary switch that's kind of pointless) .

If yours actually works - one switch that both increments and decrements Scenes using Tap config for one for function and Hold config for the other: please explain as if to a child what you did
Thanks

Question: For Scene you indicate one switch for Next and Prev. I assume you are using a momentary switch and set up something like "Tap" to increment and "Hold" to decrement - or vice versa? If so I can get, also using a momentary switch, the set "Tap," by itself, no Hold function defined, to work as an increment with Wrap around from 1,2,3, ...8,1,2,3.... etc. all day long (or set it up to decrement and work backwards all day long) .

However, as soon as I try and to reverse that, i.e., decrement Scenes, by defining and using the Hold configuration to decrement then the "Tap to increment" just decrements now. I've also tried all permutations of using upper limit/lower limits (1-8; 8-1) and wrap/ no warp on the "Tap" setup and the "Hold" - once Hold is set up TAP follows Holds configuration and Hold does nothing?

I've tried all the other permutations as well (defining Switch type as "Virtual toggle," and "Follow hardware," and even reverse polarity but for a momentary switch that's kind of pointless) .

If yours actually works - one switch that both increments and decrements Scenes using Tap config for one for function and Hold config for the other: please explain as if to a child what you did
Thanks
do you have the latest updates? this sounds like an old bug, but i'm not exactly sure.

Yep all current - 5.08 and (edited) I meant current 1.06 (not 1.07) - for III and FC respectively.

I really want to hear back from Chad that, at least for Scenes, his single switch (SW2) is doing exactly what he indicates it's doing. If he or ANYONE here can say "yep we can increment Scenes with a tap (or hold) and decrement with a hold (or tap) - or whatever" - then clearly on my end there is a "short between headsets."

Last edited:
Yep all current - 5.08 and 1.07 for III and FC respectively.

I really want to hear back from Chad that, at least for Scenes, his single switch (SW2) is doing exactly what he indicates it's doing. If he or ANYONE here can say "yep we can increment Scenes with a tap (or hold) and decrement with a hold (or tap) - or whatever" - then clearly on my end there is a "short between headsets."

I have a single switch set up to inc/dec banks using tap/hold and another doing the same for scenes. Works properly here.

Danny W.

can you show us a screen shot of the FC Switch assignment in Axe-Edit?

Yes, it is working correctly. I'm using two of these: Dual Momentary External Footswitch for Drum Machine & Guitar Effects Pedal Foot Switch with 6.35mm Stereo Cable

However, the only way they are working for me is when I have them set to 'Reverse'. And I have left it set at 'Follow Hardware'.
I can tap to increment the scene, and hold to decrement.

BUT... I just noticed something while doing this test. I power cycled the Axe and when I checked the switch Polarity settings, all are now showing 'Normal'. So I changed them back to Reverse, power cycled it again, and they show Normal. So not sure if that is a bug or not. But may be confusing as when it shows Normal, the switches still appear ot be working. So at this point I'm not sure if they are really 'Normal' or 'Reverse'.

if I clear the HOLD side it works like a charm and cycles up to 8 and starts over again at 1 (W/wrap on).
Thanks for any insight

and sorry for speech to text typos and dyslexica

Attachments

• Thursday, May 23, 2019.jpg
    Thursday, May 23, 2019.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yes, it is working correctly. I'm using two of these: Dual Momentary External Footswitch for Drum Machine & Guitar Effects Pedal Foot Switch with 6.35mm Stereo Cable

However, the only way they are working for me is when I have them set to 'Reverse'. And I have left it set at 'Follow Hardware'.
I can tap to increment the scene, and hold to decrement.

BUT... I just noticed something while doing this test. I power cycled the Axe and when I checked the switch Polarity settings, all are now showing 'Normal'. So I changed them back to Reverse, power cycled it again, and they show Normal. So not sure if that is a bug or not. But may be confusing as when it shows Normal, the switches still appear ot be working. So at this point I'm not sure if they are really 'Normal' or 'Reverse'.

I'm sure its me somehow

But as I mentioned in first post I already tried the reverse and normal settings as well as virtual toggle and follow hardware - and all combinations thereof. I'm sure it will be "palm to forehead" moment on my end once my error is pointed out for whole world to see - :).

I'm sure its me somehow

But as I mentioned in first post I already tried the reverse and normal settings as well as virtual toggle and follow hardware - and all combinations thereof. I'm sure it will be "palm to forehead" moment on my end once my error is pointed out for whole world to see - :).

I just posted this also: Possible Bug? External Switch Polarity setting not saving after reboot

I had practice last night and I swore one of the external switches was not working the way I had set it. I didn't end up using it most of the night so didn't think much of it. Also I remember when setting up one of my switches to use for Reveal, I couldn't get the Hold part of that switch to work. Sorry, this is all kind of piecing itself together now... We've been having continual spats of thunderstorms here and as soon as they hit, the Axe is the first thing I unplug. :) I've probably been changing switch settings every time I see they are all set to Normal again. I'm kind of rambling at this point without a lot of well thought out testing to validate. But my point is, maybe there is something going on and things are not set the way we think.

Tap Tempo / Tuner
Channel Increment on Plex Delay 1 - mix is controlled by an expression pedal
Looper Layout <-> Perform 1, which is linked to Presets so selecting a preset brings up Perform 1 with access to 4 Scenes, Preset Inc/Dec
Bypass for PanTrem (tap), Rotary (hold)
I have a Master Volume expression pedal and a Drive pedal that controls bypass and mix from whatever Drive pedal I have in the preset.

I was thinking I needed an FC12 but with this I can work with the smaller board. Plenty of options available during performance.

Back
Top Bottom