So what are the rear inputs good for?

Yo. I just had an idea.

My AFX spends 95% of its life sitting on my desk and getting used in the "studio" where I reamp with it.

It'd be neat and convenient if I could run the reamp box into the rear input, but use the front input for playing. So it needs to be set up to accept a signal from both inputs.

Is this possible? How?

Yo. I just had an idea.

My AFX spends 95% of its life sitting on my desk and getting used in the "studio" where I reamp with it.

It'd be neat and convenient if I could run the reamp box into the rear input, but use the front input for playing. So it needs to be set up to accept a signal from both inputs.

Is this possible? How?
You can set it to use both rear inputs, or one rear (Right) plus the front (Left). I may be wrong, but I don't think you can simultaneously use both rear PLUS the front.

To have rear (Right) and front (Left) :
In the I/O menu, Audio tab, scroll to INPUT 1 LEFT SELECT and set it to FRONT (I think it's the default).
Then on INPUT 1 MODE, set it to STEREO. Now you have two independent signals.

If you're using a wireless, then the receiver is acting as a buffer, so you won't hear any difference. A buffer will negate the 'secret sauce' benefits on the front input.
How so?

From Cliff:
"A buffer (in front of the Axe-Fx II) will render the impedance stuff ineffective. It will also add (maybe considerable) noise which may defeat the low-noise advantage of the front input."
(Source, and more info)

From Cliff:
"A buffer (in front of the Axe-Fx II) will render the impedance stuff ineffective. It will also add (maybe considerable) noise which may defeat the low-noise advantage of the front input."
(Source, and more info)

"May defeat" implies there may still be some benefit.

The high-frequency processing reduces noise from the input itself. Whether this is noticeable will depend on how noisy the connected device is, and the types of sounds being used.

"May defeat" implies there may still be some benefit.

The high-frequency processing reduces noise from the input itself. Whether this is noticeable will depend on how noisy the connected device is, and the types of sounds being used.

Most of the pros that I work with use the rear inputs just to prevent anyone from accidentally hitting a cord in the front input.

True, although if the above is the case, then this implies that any perceived benefit would be neither here nor there. That's likely good enough for most of us I would imagine.

The rear are line-level inputs. You could use it with other gear or program material that are line level. And although a second guitar wouldn't be line level, you could certainly plug one in back there (set up that chain for Right Input only; I have done this). The front input is optimized for a guitar signal and has more gain built in.

Cliff: (Source: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Instrument_input )

so can i run my zoom 123 drum machine into the input2 jacks so it will play through the unit into my speakers? not through any of the effects or amps or anything just to have the drum sounds.

so can i run my zoom 123 drum machine into the input2 jacks so it will play through the unit into my speakers? not through any of the effects or amps or anything just to have the drum sounds.
Put an fx block at the end of your chain and run your drums or backing tracks thru there it will not be effected by the tone. Also if you have the fx block on a separate line of the grid, you can use the output volume of that line to blend the backing track with your guitar to get an appropriate volume between guitar and backing track.

I run my wireless into the front input. I technically run my wireless into a 1/4th female/female passthru connector on the front rack space panel below my Axe, then I use a 6" patch cord to connect that jack to the front instrument jack. When I'm at home/studio and not using the wireless, I unplug one end of the patch cable and just plug a guitar lead into the instrument jack. This lets me use the same input for both and not have to reassign input

I prefer the rear input myself . I mostly run a 13 pin out guitar through a Roland GR20. The GR20 plugs in the back. However I plug guitar direct into back and wireless as well. What's nice about wireless in the back is you can mount your receiver in your rack and just keep it plugged in and it's out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom