So what are the rear inputs good for?

Metal1993

Inspired
Ok. So I know the front input has the special sauce and all. But from what I have read I dont see anyone recommending to ever use the rear input. Just that its there. Is one better than the other for wireless or something?

It's good for inputting signal.
Second guitar/bass.
Clean wiring.
Wireless input.
Piezo input.
Etc etc etc...
What ever you can think of, it's good for.

The rear are line-level inputs. You could use it with other gear or program material that are line level. And although a second guitar wouldn't be line level, you could certainly plug one in back there (set up that chain for Right Input only; I have done this). The front input is optimized for a guitar signal and has more gain built in.

Cliff: (Source: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Instrument_input )
"You have to set the input selection to match the input you're using. If you're using the front input then you must set the input selection to front and vice-versa. If you plug something into the front and set the input selection to rear it will get MUCH brighter. The front input is optimized for guitar level inputs and has spectral shaping and more gain than the rear input. The front input is optimized for guitar pickups. This is a combination of hardware and software processing. If you set the input source to Analog Rear this turns off the software processing part. If you are plugged into the front it will change the tone since you're still going through the hardware processing. This is why I say you must match the input selection to the input you are using. The rear inputs are standard line-level inputs and can be used with any program material. The front input, as stated above, is optimized for guitar pickups. As such it has more gain and less headroom and may clip if used for non-guitar program material. If you plug a guitar directly into the rear you may find you don't have enough signal level."

So should I go cable from guitar to the front or wireless to the front input or does it not matter? Do I lose anything going wirless and using the front sauce input?

The rear are line-level inputs. You could use it with other gear or program material that are line level. And although a second guitar wouldn't be line level, you could certainly plug one in back there (set up that chain for Right Input only; I have done this). The front input is optimized for a guitar signal and has more gain built in.

Cliff: (Source: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Instrument_input )
Is there a default eq/level setting we can use to match the front for guitar?

So should I go cable from guitar to the front or wireless to the front input or does it not matter? Do I lose anything going wirless and using the front sauce input?

From Cliff: (from previous wiki link)
The instrument input uses a proprietary circuit and a dedicated A/D converter to lower noise ("Secret Sauce"). It's conditioned for guitar through hardware and software. For best results use the instrument input for guitar, whether wired or wireless, electric or acoustic, except when running a line level signal. The front input has a soft clip function (IN 1 CLIP).
A buffer (in front of the Axe-Fx II) will render the impedance stuff ineffective. It will also add (maybe considerable) noise which may defeat the low-noise advantage of the front input
So whether you are wireless or not, it's of more benefit to use the front. Although a wireless (which is buffered) will neutralize the Front Input impedance benefits, you still get the benefit of the Front Input's higher gain optimized for guitar level signals. If your wireless receiver outputs only a line level signal, then it makes more sense to plug it in the rear.

Is there a default eq/level setting we can use to match the front for guitar?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean you want to plug a guitar into the rear and make it the same level as the front? Set the Input Level in the I/O menu on the front panel. When I plugged a second guitar into the rear, I had to dime the Rear Input 1 level. It will slightly increase the noise floor, but for live use, I didn't notice a difference. And because it's expecting a line level, you'll never get it to "tickle the red," and you may have to compensate for the lower input signal within your preset.

you may have to compensate for the lower input signal within your preset.

This shouldn't be necessary due to the unity-gain design. The level won't appear as high on the input LEDs (vs. same value w/ front input) but the level entering the grid is the same.

My ears cant hear any difference between front and rear input. I have my axe in a gator rack and wireless G50 into rear input :)

My ears cant hear any difference between front and rear input. I have my axe in a gator rack and wireless G50 into rear input :)

If you're using a wireless, then the receiver is acting as a buffer, so you won't hear any difference. A buffer will negate the 'secret sauce' benefits on the front input.

I use it for my wireless input, easier to connect, looks better, nothing in the way, no tonal difference as the signal is buffered.

Back
Top Bottom