So unless I missed it in the manual...

So I'm not crazy. Every epi/gibby I've owned refuses to have an in-tune G string. Strat hangs on the wall for months and is still in tune.

I dont know if it's been mentioned, but the reason for this is the headstock tilt and the the angle that the strings break away from the nut to the tuning pegs. The headstock needs a slight tilt so that the strings produce a note at the nut. Too much of a tilt, too thick of a string, or too much of an angle towards the tuning pegs can all cause the string to bind and catch on the nut and cause an out of tune note. This is especially true with non-locking trems and its also why floyd rose's stay in tune so well- there is nowhere for the string to slip. If there is no locking nut, locking tuners, in my opinion, are essential because the string cant become ever-so-slightly unwound on the tuning peg and go out of tune. Also guitars where the string is a perfectly straight line from the bridge to the tuning peg with only a slight headstock tilt will pretty much always stay in tune better. Also the construction, neck material, and truss rod stability. can have an effect. The more stable the construction and the harder the wood, the better it will stay in tune.

I dont know if it's been mentioned, but the reason for this is the headstock tilt and the the angle that the strings break away from the nut to the tuning pegs. The headstock needs a slight tilt so that the strings produce a note at the nut. Too much of a tilt, too thick of a string, or too much of an angle towards the tuning pegs can all cause the string to bind and catch on the nut and cause an out of tune note. This is especially true with non-locking trems and its also why floyd rose's stay in tune so well- there is nowhere for the string to slip. If there is no locking nut, locking tuners, in my opinion, are essential because the string cant become ever-so-slightly unwound on the tuning peg and go out of tune. Also guitars where the string is a perfectly straight line from the bridge to the tuning peg with only a slight headstock tilt will pretty much always stay in tune better. Also the construction, neck material, and truss rod stability. can have an effect. The more stable the construction and the harder the wood, the better it will stay in tune.
Counter-point: Every other headstock design

Wouldn’t Gibson robi tuners elimiate the need for an electronic tuner and the string butler?:)
Hi, the short anser is NO. Long answer- when tuning robot tuners , th y will tune very quickly EXCEPT the D and G strings...ALL the Les Pauls have this dreaded headstock/nut design issues with the Ds and Gs, robot or not.

Never seen these before, but they look like they could do the trick, and I definitely don't think any mod is necessary.
Who's going to buy one first and do a review??
I am doing a review with the STRING BUTLER. this month ...with my 2 Robot Les Pauls ...BOTH 2nd and 4th generations. The 1st and 2nd, Generation Tronical systems are a DIFFERENT design than the 3rd and 4th generations. The 1st and 2nd, Have POWER GOING THROUGH THE STRINGS for the HEADSTOCK ELECTRONICS... the 3rd and 4th Gen have everything in the headstock, more efficient but not as quick.. I believe STRING BUTLER can address BOTH robots and regular Les Pauls issues... They do this by having a ACRYLIC and a METAL version. The ACRYLIC will work for the 1st and 2nd GEN and the METAL for the 3rd and 4th GEN and ANY REGULAR Les Paul... If it can work on rapidly tuning ROBOT gears, a regular Les Paul is a given...I will be doing a review on the exact subject of the 3 x 3 tuner issue on Robot Les Pauls , on both 2nd AND 4th Generations with the STRING BUTLER.this month... Stay tuned

Last edited:
I am doing a review with the STRING BUTLER. this month ...

This thread is getting rather off topic, but I can't help myself. I started guitar on an Epi LP, then an assembly line Fender American Strat, and I finally dropped some money and got a nice '96 LP. Sounded great. It was a disaster to keep in tune. Heavy as hell. I got a Reverend Vito Classic that sounded damn near the same, lighter, and -- holy shit -- it stayed in tune. Without a string butler. Without robo electro nuclear hardware. A third of the price. Excellent customer service. Great from-factory setup. Bought a B.A. Ferguson Classic Shirley. Same deal. Gibson can shove their legacy and failed artist endorsements up their wazoo for all I care. There are better products out there that may not carry some pop culture street cred but at least function the way they are supposed to. If image is what you need, grab a Gibson, but if you actually care about quality and performance, look elsewhere.

It's the alfa romeo of the guitar world.

This thread is getting rather off topic, but I can't help myself. I started guitar on an Epi LP, then an assembly line Fender American Strat, and I finally dropped some money and got a nice '96 LP. Sounded great. It was a disaster to keep in tune. Heavy as hell. I got a Reverend Vito Classic that sounded damn near the same, lighter, and -- holy shit -- it stayed in tune. Without a string butler. Without robo electro nuclear hardware. A third of the price. Excellent customer service. Great from-factory setup. Bought a B.A. Ferguson Classic Shirley. Same deal. Gibson can shove their legacy and failed artist endorsements up their wazoo for all I care. There are better products out there that may not carry some pop culture street cred but at least function the way they are supposed to. If image is what you need, grab a Gibson, but if you actually care about quality and performance, look elsewhere.

It's the alfa romeo of the guitar world.
I couldn't agree more with you about Les Pauls in general.>>>> Horrible customer service, overpriced, AND bad design(in general) ... Especially the fact that the Headstock Angle( is to steep), the Scale(a 25 inch scale WILL never tune right) and the 3 x 3 tuners were designed to be LOUD for a acoustic, not stay in tune>>>>> But I write and play songs in 3 finger style tunings and 3 slide tunings. all these design issues of being out of tune won't happen to me (I don't need to bend strings with a slide or a acoustic) The robots allow me to do that with multiple guitar tones including piezo tones. WITH a STRING BUTLER I can also ALSO play blues and jam in tune....That means I only need 2 guitars(the extra 1 is if I break a string) to do a gig instead of 6 in different tunings >>>>>>I admit very few performers do what I do, so I am a niche market....Point being, if I didn't
need multiple tunings and multiple built in guitar tones I would not use Les Paul Studio Robots 2010 and 2012 either. I AM HAPPY that I bought them used for less than 1/3 retail price of $3000 and $6000..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom