So this video has confused my decision on which PRS

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Well, I mean it actually is a great comparison...guy does a good job imho. What I want and what I can afford are are not helping me.
But, the biggest thing I did not like about the S2 was the way he described the neck. That's a lot of glued together pieces. Of course, what I know about glue and necks is about ZERO, so.
The prices of used core 594 is quite high, imho. Not saying they are not worth it, just very high. Like 10-15% below new prices. Found 2 under $3,000 by a dollar or 2. But no guarantee of the condition. One mans excellent is another mans very good. I try to look for Mint-but not too many.

Well, I mean it actually is a great comparison...guy does a good job imho. What I want and what I can afford are are not helping me.
But, the biggest thing I did not like about the S2 was the way he described the neck. That's a lot of glued together pieces. Of course, what I know about glue and necks is about ZERO, so.
The prices of used core 594 is quite high, imho. Not saying they are not worth it, just very high. Like 10-15% below new prices. Found 2 under $3,000 by a dollar or 2. But no guarantee of the condition. One mans excellent is another mans very good. I try to look for Mint-but not too many.

You can try getting the s2 and then replace the pickups with the core version as they're like night and day. I also recommend trying both out in the shop.

edit: the new tci tuned pickups are also incredible but it may be hard to find those for now.

You can try getting the s2 and then replace the pickups with the core version as they're like night and day. I also recommend trying both out in the shop.

edit: the new tci tuned pickups are also incredible but it may be hard to find those for now.
Thanks
The pickups are really hard to find. I have looked already. Found the tuners though, which are a must for me. I have to believe any "really" good pickups will be ok as a last resort.

Thanks for posting, missed this one. I do like his channel, one of very few in YouTube swamp. Longing for my first PRS too, but hard for me to justify those made in USA, when I am knee deep in very decent used and mint SE models here in Asia

Thanks for posting, missed this one. I do like his channel, one of very few in YouTube swamp. Longing for my first PRS too, but hard for me to justify those made in USA, when I am knee deep in very decent used and mint SE models here in Asia
I have been a Strat Tele guy forever. will never give them up but sure am longing for one the McCarty's. I most likely will end up with the S2.

The guy in video spoke very highly of them, except for the pickups. But, as a forum friend told me the S2 594 would give me a solid base for upgrading.....................

Well Vazzy, in this day and age-trying them out is impossible. I live in , yikes Florida. Also have some underlyinfg issues, so...............
I am buying from a store though, so I can send it back...But I really doubt that will happen. Thanks man

Nothing wrong with a neck made up of lots of glued together pieces. They're usually a lot stronger then necks made out of one piece. Just look at the dreaded Gibson headstock snapping off. When you use good wood glue the bond will become stronger then the wood itself. This is why you can make a neck made up of lots of glued togethyer pieces. And have the added benefit of using many different woods to make it look more pleasing too.

I'm a member of a PRS Facebook group, and the prices the members typically ask for always shock me. I had a 10 top Custom 24 that I only managed to get $1400 for (although I only had it advertised on craigslist). I'd definitely recommend looking around for a bargain. I've not played an S2, but I've tried a couple of SE's in stores and they didn't feel quite as nice in the hand as the two cores I've owned.

I thought the Core one sounded way better plugged in. A good short scale single cut is supposed to be bright and snappy IMHO. I refuse to travel through Mud City...

I'm a member of a PRS Facebook group, and the prices the members typically ask for always shock me. I had a 10 top Custom 24 that I only managed to get $1400 for (although I only had it advertised on craigslist). I'd definitely recommend looking around for a bargain. I've not played an S2, but I've tried a couple of SE's in stores and they didn't feel quite as nice in the hand as the two cores I've owned.
According to every video I have seen their is NO comparison between the SE's and the S2 594. Hence the $1,000 difference. The S2 594's are made in the same place as the cores. The SE is an import.
Don't get me wrong. Everything mentioned is why I have not ordered anything yet.

I thought the Core one sounded way better plugged in. A good short scale single cut is supposed to be bright and snappy IMHO. I refuse to travel through Mud City...
The pickups and the body wood are the biggest differences between the 2. No doubt. But please remember the difference just for the basic core model is $2,100 more than the S2 McCarty. also, the S2 Mcarty 594 is miles ahead of the regular S2 models that came out years ago.
That's the whole idea.
My biggest worry with getting the S2 594 NOW is there are a few from the first run available before the factory shut down (Covid)
I have to wonder after all the reviews, etc., will PRS change the S2 McCarty (for the better) when they reopen. Of course, the way things look now that could be 20121........

So I have listened to this video many, many times, last night and this morning-mainly the pickup\sound comparison. Of course I hear the difference. But, being a fractalite I don't see any problem with adjusting presets to be brighter, etc, etc.

But, as a forum friend told me the S2 594 would give me a solid base for upgrading.....................
I’m biding time here. I’ll buy one of these once there are more on the used market and put some BKP pickups in it. Already decided that’ll be my 2021 guitar. I have a one-guitar-per-year limit.

I’m biding time here. I’ll buy one of these once there are more on the used market and put some BKP pickups in it. Already decided that’ll be my 2021 guitar. I have a one-guitar-per-year limit.
Yeah, my problem is I am a now kind of guy . I have a new S2 McCarty singlecut 594 and a used 594 semi hollow body I am trying to decide between. Difference, without figuring in the upgrades on then S2 is around $1,400.....That be my dilemma.

Yeah, my problem is I am a now kind of guy . I have a new S2 McCarty singlecut 594 and a used 594 semi hollow body I am trying to decide between. Difference, without figuring in the upgrades on then S2 is around $1,400.....That be my dilemma.

Easy. Decide if you will bank that difference, put it towards something else meaningful, or buy the guitar that's more expensive (that should be haunting your dreams).

I've owned 2 cores, a limited edition, a few SE's, and an S2. It all depends on what you actually want, and only you can decide that.

If you know you're going to regret not buying the more expensive guitar later, buy that one. If the main difference for you is bragging rights and the aesthetics, and some other project could use $1400, the S2 is the more sensible buy.

Follow your instinct.

The pickups and the body wood are the biggest differences between the 2. No doubt. But please remember the difference just for the basic core model is $2,100 more than the S2 McCarty. also, the S2 Mcarty 594 is miles ahead of the regular S2 models that came out years ago.
That's the whole idea.
My biggest worry with getting the S2 594 NOW is there are a few from the first run available before the factory shut down (Covid)
I have to wonder after all the reviews, etc., will PRS change the S2 McCarty (for the better) when they reopen. Of course, the way things look now that could be 20121........
The factory is actually up an running since i think late May/early June. Likely slower though

The factory is actually up an running since i think late May/early June. Likely slower though

This. It's highly unlikely they're changing specs on production models right now. They need to focus on producing guitars and generating the revenue that comes with it.

Easy. Decide if you will bank that difference, put it towards something else meaningful, or buy the guitar that's more expensive (that should be haunting your dreams).

I've owned 2 cores, a limited edition, a few SE's, and an S2. It all depends on what you actually want, and only you can decide that.

If you know you're going to regret not buying the more expensive guitar later, buy that one. If the main difference for you is bragging rights and the aesthetics, and some other project could use $1400, the S2 is the more sensible buy.

Follow your instinct.

Budda's got this exactly right. The S2 is the better value, the core model is going be the nicer guitar all around. If you think you'd regret not buying the higher end model, find a way to do it. Pre-2020 second hand core 594s might be coming down a bit in price because the serious PRS aficionados are licking their chops over the revised 2020s. So some of them may be unloading the ones they have in-hand to fund new ones.

Follow your instinct.
Well, definitely no bragging rights and not into bling at all. My fav guitar is my Avatar-06 USA Deluxe with Fralin Blues specials.
Here is what I think:
I would definitely want new tuners. I do HATE that Kluson look, always have. Pickups would depend after I played with it.
Thanks for the input.

Thanks to all of you folks for chiming in......I, of course, will post back but I am leaning towards the S2 McCarty. Going to sleep on tonight and pull the trigger in the morning. Right now I'm restringing my Strat

Back
Top Bottom