So this JTM45 amp is a killer

JTI

Power User
Worked on dialing in a tone that works for the 5 minutes of a 4 hour night I need a clean tone. The JTM sounds awesome! Cranked it up a bit on the gain side (because why not :p) and it sounds great as well! Little bass heavy with the master dimed but I am seriously digging on it! Might be a good alternative to the Friedman BE patch I have been running.

It's been nearly impossible to make this amp sound bad for a while now, but it's even better in the most recent FW.

That is, of course, unless you decide to dime it without running the proper pedal/eq/filter before it, or changing some some of the parameters. But, if you use it like the real thing, it sounds like the real thing (which is a very good thing!).

[clarification edit: "without running", instead of "with". That's pretty important! lol]

Last edited:
I love the JTM45 model, it's a spanky clean and has a lot of girth, when you hit it hard

I have a patched, where I switch the pre-amp tubes to EF86 and the power tubes to KT88's - that sounds good too - Maybe a tad more 3D-ish

I've been meaning to try this since I heard an example online recently. Might be time to give it a go. Are you guys doing just clean or getting into edge of breakup / low gain with it?

It's been nearly impossible to make this amp sound bad for a while now, but it's even better in the most recent FW.

That is, of course, unless you decide to dime it with running the proper pedal/eq/filter before it, or changing some some of the parameters. But, if you use it like the real thing, it sounds like the real thing (which is a very good thing!).
I have never played the real thing. I just know it was a great clean base and then became really cool when I started to wind it up! If you have "non-traditional" suggestions on what to run with it; by all means! I know when the gain was cranked; it was pretty wooly on the lower strings and registers of the neck.

Here is the preset - You are hearing the actual cabinet, so there is no IR in the preset. The cabinet is a 1x12 with G12H30 Anniversary, so there should be plenty of choice within the factory cabs, if you want to add an IR and go direct.

Attachments

• JTM45 (44Mag+Cab).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 54
The Cut parameter might be necessary when diming the gain, particularly with humbuckers and the neck pickup. It's similar to diming a Plexi and using the guitar's volume control to control gain, but the JTM45 is a different circuit. Or, running a pedal that cuts a lot of lows can be helpful (like using a Tubescreamer to help tame the lows and highs of a Plexi). Similar results can be achieved with a filter or eq block before the amp block. Of course, we have a ton of ways to handle this in the Axe FX. We can change any number of parameters. A JTM45, as I understand it, is a less filtered circuit. To me, it sounds amazing most of the way on the gain dial, but when dimed, it can't help but be wooly. I think about a Boogie Mark I (Essentially a Princeton with more gain, right?). Some monster tones, but use with great care. Many non-MV amps are this way. They always have a sweet-spot, which varies with the particular circuit.

I have never played the real thing. I just know it was a great clean base and then became really cool when I started to wind it up! If you have "non-traditional" suggestions on what to run with it; by all means! I know when the gain was cranked; it was pretty wooly on the lower strings and registers of the neck.

Last edited:
The Cut parameter might be necessary when diming the gain, particularly with humbuckers and the neck pickup. It's similar to diming a Plexi and using the guitar's volume control to control gain, but the JTM45 is a different circuit. Or, running a pedal that cuts a lot of lows can be helpful (like using a Tubescreamer to help tame the lows and highs of a Plexi). Similar results can be achieved with a filter or eq block before the amp block. Of course, we have a ton of ways to handle this in the Axe FX. We can change any number of parameters. A JTM45, as I understand it, is a less filtered circuit. To me, it sounds amazing most of the way on the gain dial, but when dimed, it can't help but be wooly. I think about a Boogie Mark I (Essentially a Princeton with more gain, right?). Some monster tones, but use with great care. Many non-MV amps are this way. They always have a sweet-spot, which varies with the particular circuit.
Thank you for the extremely informative reply. Cheers!

JTM-45 was one of the motivating factors for getting an AX8. Played a reissue - really bonded with it: But, even used it was over $2k, and too loud for most situations. The AX8 does JTM-45 to my complete satisfaction: and the volume at the sweet spots can be adjusted to the venue. It's really nice into a real cabinet (cab sims off, SS Power amp)

Back
Top Bottom