So there is this 2K$ unit that just does cabs/mic sims ...

stef herbuel said:
bmi said:
he has spend 20 years to achieve this sound don't try to get it in 5 min.

:lol: are you sure ? i never useed clean channel of my amp at 10 before torpedo and never used it like that.and i received the torpedo 2 hours before my sample.
so i took my amp like i would do with another amp , turned the gain and master to 10 :lol: ,zero pedal, nothing selected one patch and go.
so ...are you sure it took me 20 years to find that ? :lol:
Big melon syndrom...of course you've tried to play for the first time "a la beck" and get it in 5 mn. :lol:

By the way this sample from bedoo doesn't sound to me like a JCM900 clean, and we are sure that it doesn't come from the amp model with the torpedo :
http://www.chuggachuggamusic.com/jcm900clean.mp3

bmi said:
Big melon syndrom...of course you've tried to play for the first time "a la beck" and get it in 5 mn. :lol:
would you care ...to shut up a little please ?
playing a la beck, van halen , maybe take 20 years , that's not the pb, if i play a E chord in position 1 , it will be the same.we talk about sound and sensation here.
but when i make a sample i try to make it "musical".excuse me, next time, especially for you, i will play only a E chord postion 1 and major scale in position 1 too.

Warnings sent to the members deserving them.

NO personal attacks will be allowed on this forum. Continued posts of that nature will result in the guilty party being suspended from posting.

stef herbuel said:
bmi said:
would you care ...to shut up a little please ?
For people to understand...you should apply your recommendations to yourself on the french forum, and i probably have to post this on the french forum as an answer to your digressions, all apologize.

I think it sounds great.
Too bad my wallet is empty.

stef herbuel, about the mic positions, are there like fixed posisions
or can you drag the mic freely?

;)

hi andrew :)
the mic are not fixed position
see this video : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x94264 ... ation_tech

Dutch said:
Stef, now this is a long shot, but it would be a great test:
Run an impulse through the Torpedo at a level you like and record the response. Turn that into an IR and put it in a user slot in the Axe-FX. Then compare the Axe with the Torpedo. That might establish if it's the machine or the IR that sounds so great. I'm just curious.

Wouldn't ask you to share that IR though... That would be unethical. But you paid for the machine, so you should be free to use that IR without taking the machine with you. :D

in this case i don't need a axe-fx, i take a load box and find a software who do IR and apply it in a mac laptop :lol:
as i have both machine i think it would be losing my time doing that, i'm not trying to say what is best or not.
juste that as before we could'nt compare real amp VS axe fx (as axe fx is supposed to be a amp cranked with mic in another room) i have no possiblity to do it with torpedo but with real preamp and power amp.
and while axe fx is VERY good, i prefer with real preamp amp power amp, i find it more "juicy" (don't know the word) and in your face.
but hey, torpedo + amp + effect unit will be 3 times the price of axe fx, for one sound.no surprise here.

BTW i doubt a machine is like another and there is only one way to do IR, and if they find other way, torpedo's conceptor will not tell i think lol, because in this case, pod is digital, eventide is digital.must sound the same no ? there are a lot of thing in the machine outside the software who does he sound.the AD DA converts etc etc

everybody seems to talk about the price, but a CAE preamp is same price as axe fx, some people prefer it, or use it with the axe.it's 3 sound.
whatever works...

not ready to sell axe fx, not ready to sell torpedo, best of both world. :cool: , just thought that it would be great to tell my experience as i have both machine...

There is another experience coming from Gounzy. He is the owner of an Axe-Fx Ultra and has spend a whole afternoon trying the torpedo then coming back in the french forum saying that the torpedo didn't make any miracle.
Just another experience that you can read on the french forum.

My thinking was more along the live-playing lines: whatever you don't need to drag along... well... you don't need to drag along, do you? That saves weight and space and it will not get dropped off the side of the stage...

For recording I'd always take the tone over comfort, but for live playing... Through most PA's, who ever is going to hear the difference of an IR in the Axe or the same IR in the Torpedo. Except maybe you.

You decide for yourself of course.

And of course there's the academics of it all. Is it the quality of the machine or the IR in the machine?
I will never (well, not soon) swing 2k at a machine that just does cabsims so its not of any concern for me. I'm just curious.

Dutch said:
My thinking was more along the live-playing lines: whatever you don't need to drag along... well... you don't need to drag along, do you? That saves weight and space and it will not get dropped off the side of the stage...

For recording I'd always take the tone over comfort, but for live playing... Through most PA's, who ever is going to hear the difference of an IR in the Axe or the same IR in the Torpedo. Except maybe you. .

people don't care about guitar sound, you can bring a rockman or zoom 9002 it will be the same for all of people.what count for me is the pleasure i take when playing a gear , because it direct influence my playing, and what people hear..the pleasure to play a good amp, a good guitar...is great
if you don't care about that take a 300 buck guitar , an old rockman and it will do the job without a pb ! i know that....

for the weight, well i have 4u rack (with axe fx and torpedo) and my combo amp , and pedalboard.
that's ok for me it's less than the drummer or keyboard player.

torpedo has avantage live for me : mic has pb of taking other's sound on stage , the placement etc , and i want to know what i exactly send to the pa , because a soundman can kill your sound.

Dutch said:
And of course there's the academics of it all. Is it the quality of the machine or the IR in the machine?
I will never (well, not soon) swing 2k at a machine that just does cabsims so its not of any concern for me. I'm just curious.
nobody will tell the difference between axe fx or pod on stage, or eventide and boss effects....so why do you have bought an axe fx ?

you buy a machine for it's quality and what it will bring to you.my music romm has really bad acoustic, i only have a sm57 , and i can't play really loud.
torpedo take all these pbs out , and use the juice of the real power amp.i really want it live and when i record.
and believe me i will use with axe fx for exemple in clean channel of my amp with drive like fuzz etc, i'm sure it will sound good :)

in the other way, i have a tyler guitar and cheap guitar that i use less.
i don't anderstand people who have 3 amps, and 4 expansive guitar.
i prefer one amp, one guitar , and axe fx and torpedo than 4 amps that i can't use at full power.
just a vison of things.

Hey.
I'm not bmi.
I'm not attacking you or trying to convince you of anything. Just proposing something that I thought would be a nice experiment with obvious advantages as I detailed.

Sheesh.

There's a scale here. The difference between a POD and an Axe-FX is huge, it matters to me and I'm sure many of the audience do care.
The difference between good IRs in the Axe and in the Torpedo however, could not be so huge for the added expense and other inconveniences. It can't be that big a difference because the Axe sounds great already and I'm wondering how much improvement the Torpedo could bring. I thought not having to take *anything* more along than absolutely necessary was an obvious and clear advantage.

But this was not a discussion I was looking to get into.

It would have been nice to see if it would be possible to make the difference even smaller by trying to use the Torpedo IR in the Axe. I did not ask for you to share that IR. I am only interested in the ability of the Axe to even come close to the Torpedo in that manner. Anyway, it is obvious you are not interested in this experiment and *the added inconvenience is worth it to you*. I guess that's enough of an answer. I respect that. Let's end it here.

Dutch said:
Hey.
I'm not bmi.
I'm not attacking you or trying to convince you of anything. Just proposing something that I thought would be a nice experiment with obvious advantages as I detailed.

Sheesh.

i'm not attacking you too, just answer to what you say ,wihtout any agression at all.:)

Dutch said:
There's a scale here. The difference between a POD and an Axe-FX is huge, it matters to me and I'm sure many of the audience do care.
in my opinion, i don't think so.

Dutch said:
The difference between good IRs in the Axe and in the Torpedo however, could not be so huge for the added expense and other inconveniences. It can't be that big a difference because the Axe sounds great already and I'm wondering how much improvement the Torpedo could bring.

i think that's the pb of a discussion, the torpedo is not at all like the axe fx , it is made to use with an amp, like a palmer.
the improvment that it brings is about the amp, you can crank it and record it, it was possible with palmer but in a very limited way

the deal here is not to compare IR , but real preamp/power amp cranked VS virtual preamp/power amp crancker in the axe fx.

this was impossible before (except with load box etc) , it's possible now, and again while i think axe fx is great, i find that the preamp/power amp emulation in it not as good as the real thing.
changing IR will not change this...

every body try searching or build "IR" to find more "realistic" sound, i think they're in a wrong way, the pb is before.original IR from the axe fx are really great i think.
just my 2 cent.

Well, I've had a POD. And a Vetta, Couldn't find a great sound to save my life. Axe-FX sounds great almost any way I tweak it. There certainly is a difference.

However, am I correct in understanding the big difference is the load box in the torpedo? In that case there certainly is no compairing, unless you factor in a good quality loadbox (if there is such a thing) and use the 4-cable-method. :D

Dutch said:
However, am I correct in understanding the big difference is the load box in the torpedo? In that case there certainly is no compairing, unless you factor in a good quality loadbox (if there is such a thing) and use the 4-cable-method. :D

the big difference in final sound is before , it's virtual preamp and virtual power amp of axe fx Vs real preamp and power amp.
torpedo with load box and IR just make the test possible for me , without killing my ears and disturb my neighbours.

and for the moment , while with real amp in the room not crancked, the axe fx win because of his virtual power amp cranked..., real preamp+power amp crancked in the torpedo make the axe fx less good.
not a pb of IR...
sure the axe fx sound good.
my les paul is good.my tyler is better :lol: .but still enjoying my les paul

Yes, I own a VB101 - very great product !

It's a 100W loadbox and a speaker and mic simulator.
Unlike the AxeFx can the user set the angle and distance (and more) of the mic.

A very easy to use toolkit to capture and store user impulses is available as free download.
The user impulses have not the feature to change angle, distance... since there features are not simple filters - and so only available for the factory cabs.

Each month will they release an additional free cab.

Beside this does the box include some other mastering effects like limiter, exciter, stereo simulator...

The firmware can also be updated so new stuff may be available later.

The box does not include any effects like chorus, delay, reverb or amp simulator - it's a replacement for a cab and a mic.

Just an update for everyone - I was just quoted a price of $2795 including shipping for the Torpedo by its new U.S. distributor. A lot of coinage. I was hopping for something in the neighborhood of $1200.

serious money here wowsers. I'll keep my real cab and my money lol. But still the technology is very interesting

Back
Top Bottom