So, the whole Klon thing

I think it would be more useful to have EQ on the dry signal in the drive block. That way we can build our own Klon clones and mods without getting caught up in the hype.

I think it would be more useful to have EQ on the dry signal in the drive block. That way we can build our own Klon clones and mods without getting caught up in the hype.

EQ-ing the dry signal inside the Drive block? Isn't that getting too complex?
You could split into two rows, put Drive in one, and a PEQ/GEQ in the other?

I seem to remember @ Admin M@ posting on this forum years ago that he was successful cloning the Klon for several name artists using the FET boost. That was pre-Quantum and the revision to the drive blocks, but I can't imagine cloning the Klon would be more difficult post quantum. Unfortunately my experience with a Klon was in the late 90's, so my recollection of the sound is dim. If someone has one, then I would suggest tweaking the FET Boost side by side with your favorite settings and please share!

I seem to remember @ Admin M@ posting on this forum years ago that he was successful cloning the Klon for several name artists using the FET boost. That was pre-Quantum and the revision to the drive blocks, but I can't imagine cloning the Klon would be more difficult post quantum. Unfortunately my experience with a Klon was in the late 90's, so my recollection of the sound is dim. If someone has one, then I would suggest tweaking the FET Boost side by side with your favorite settings and please share!

then it would make sense they could ad it to the drive block as a preset, and be done with it then. I don't see the reluctance other than inability or some kind of deep seated hatred lol.

Not to resurrect this whole thing or beat a dead horse, but, after having played a real Klon Centaur Gold recently, I get it.

Found this interesting read about it with a similar experience with the invetor himself:
http://blogs.online.berklee.edu/thaddeushogarth/2013/01/05/the-klon-centaur-phenomenon/
Video where they beging A/B/C all of these

Two things I will throw my 2c in on:

1) Placebo effect is very real with drive pedals IME. If you watch the video when they start demoing and take into account the amp, the referencing mic and the drive pedals they use, I am 95% confident we can obtain that sound almost identically with my AFX II or AX8. What you cannot take into account is the in the room feel you get with those drive pedals. Something that is difficult for me to be reminded of is how the audience, whoever we play for, hears "that tone". Do they care about it as much? No. That is not what we're discussing here, but it is something to factor in. If a modeler as advanced as the FAS technology can obtain 95% accuracy of that tone using a different method or different modeled pedal, what would be the point of adding a Klon sim in the lineup(?), which preps for my second point:

2) Very dangerous threats were made by an individual who is a career internet troller and very ill mentally/spiritually asking, no, demanding a Klon Centaur sim. FAS and the moderators handled the individual incredibly well even while there were 40+ accounts that were made by the individual to continue a pointless debate about a single drive pedal sim. The final straw was broken when death threats in a video series were made against FAS staff extending to their loved ones. If you feel that those of us who had to watch a number of threads get blown out of proportion are sensitive to this topic, it is for good measure.

Fortunately, FAS, the moderators and this forum rose above the endless negativity and continued to move forward into a successful launch of the AX8 & beyond. We [mostly] all learned to appreciate each other a hint differently and it really united this forum in a way that I have never seen on the interwebs. Now before your tears start streaming down your face, you grab your Martin and suggest us all to sing KumBaYa, I have a point. This is a forum to exemplify talent, share approaches and continuously make a great product series greater. If your intentions are otherwise, you don't need to be here but know that this community values innovation, tenacity, talent and meaningful dialogue from my experience(s).

@pima1234 - not harpin' on you at all bro, just want others who were unfamiliar to know some of the history.

i use matt's recommended settings. whether it gets close to the real thing or not, i have no idea, but as a useful boost, it works well and i have it in loads of my patches. use the fet boost, but change the clipping type to si diode. reduce the high cut to about 6k and set the mid control to +1db. i usually set the drive to about 6 and the volume to about 7. someone did chip in on another thread and say that they thought the klon actually used op amp clipping...in which case, you could experiment with that as well.

then it would make sense they could ad it to the drive block as a preset, and be done with it then. I don't see the reluctance other than inability or some kind of deep seated hatred lol.
I don't want to put words in anybody's mouths, but any time Fractal has said something was "in the box already", we have seen them reluctant to just give a name to a block preset that's attainable with just a few tweaks to an existing block definition. Pre quantum, someone even posted some presets on the Exchange that they made side by side with their Klon. They sounded good at the time, but perhaps that user could be asked to post revised presets so that the drive blocks could be shared in current FW. Just a thought.

Last edited:
i use matt's recommended settings. whether it gets close to the real thing or not, i have no idea, but as a useful boost, it works well and i have it in loads of my patches. use the fet boost, but change the clipping type to si diode. reduce the high cut to about 6k and set the mid control to +1db. i usually set the drive to about 6 and the volume to about 7. someone did chip in on another thread and say that they thought the klon actually used op amp clipping...in which case, you could experiment with that as well.

FWIW - I've never played a Klon ..., heck I've never ( in person ) seen anyone else play one either ( at least, that I know of ) ....

BUT ! I do have any number of patches using M@'s settings that simeon's just posted and they're really, REALLY good !

There's also some settings floating around for using a PEQ block to get the same type of frequency shaping, but allowing you to save a bunch of CPU cycles .... That's pretty cool as well !

I don't want to put words in anybody's mouths, but any time Fractal has said something was "in the box already", we have seen them reluctant to just give a name to a preset that's attainable with just a few tweaks to an existing block definition. Pre quantum, someone even posted some presets on the exchange that they made side by side with their Klon. They sounded good at the time, but perhaps that user could be asked to post revised presets so that the drive blocks could be shared in current FW. Just a thought.

by preset I meant preset in the drive block, like we switch between 808, and ruckus, would be a klon.

EQ-ing the dry signal inside the Drive block? Isn't that getting too complex?
You could split into two rows, put Drive in one, and a PEQ/GEQ in the other?

There's latency in the drive block, so yes, you could use EQ in parallel, but you'd also need to add a short delay and maybe even phase reversal/correction.

FWIW, I don't use drive much, I prefer raw amp tones. One of my favourites is 2 amps in parallel (same model), one set clean with low mid cut, the other set dirty with low mid boost. Individually they sound awful but combined it's awesome.

Me too, but sometimes using the drive pedal makes going from clean to drive easier (faster?). Although, attaching a controller to the gain works very well, too.

And, thanks for keeping things cool on this thread.

Honestly, some of my favorite pedals are the cmatmods Butah, Machine Head Pedals 72 Degress, and Wampler Ecstacy/Euphoria for boost > mid-gain. But, none of those did what that Klon did. Just something really different, in my experience. I can see why people use it. It's not a tube screamer (said in Schwarzenegger voice).

I always thought the fas boost, was supposed to be Cliff's version of the type of drive that the Klon was, slightly over driven. I could be wrong. Its funny watching the video above I get that tone all day long, using different methods to achieve the same result. It's not about a particular device, it's about using your ears and finding that pleasing tone in your head. I find it everywhere in the II and AX8. Nothing can replace the experience you get with creating 5 new presets a week for a year. You gain a bit of knowledge.

You guys and gals want my guess (and it is absolutely a guess)?

Professional courtesy.

Then why do the Timmy instead? Paul Cochrane is generally considered a very nice guy and non-commercial cloners have gone out of their way to not clone the Timmy as a sign of respect to him. Whereas the guy from the Klon is generally seen as....., well....., not such a nice guy in comparison shall we say.

Then why do the Timmy instead? Paul Cochrane is generally considered a very nice guy and non-commercial cloners have gone out of their way to not clone the Timmy as a sign of respect to him. Whereas the guy from the Klon is generally seen as....., well....., not such a nice guy in comparison shall we say.
Paul, possibly, didn't ask him not to. Again: speculation on my part.

I don't know how you know Bill F. but I've had the pleasure of hanging out with him in a social setting and he's a very nice human being.

I thought Paul was a Fractal user. Seems like he probably wanted it in. I'm guessing of course.

Back
Top Bottom