So, the whole Klon thing

Then why do the Timmy instead? Paul Cochrane is generally considered a very nice guy and non-commercial cloners have gone out of their way to not clone the Timmy as a sign of respect to him. Whereas the guy from the Klon is generally seen as....., well....., not such a nice guy in comparison shall we say.
Really?
i had already had my klon for a few years and wrote to him in 2004 to ask about putting it on a pedalboard and got this response.

Pat:
Thanks for your message. The outboard power
jack on the unit requires the correct mating plug
with tip-positive wiring: plug tip is hot/positive, and
plug sleeve is ground/negative. Correct polarity
delivers +9 volts D.C. or thereabouts to the tip.
If you bought your unit used, you may not have
gotten the plug it originally came with; call me any
weekday morning Eastern time (except tomorrow,
Thursday) at (617) 666-1551 and we can make
arrangements to get you one. Also, if you did buy
the unit used, I would appreciate it if you have its
serial number (which is on the circuit board) for me
when you call so that I can update my owner list.
Take care,
Bill Finnegan
Klon

seems pretty nice for offering me support after years of ownership. again i sold my beloved klon for the $$$ to get this FX8. If i had millions i would have dudes to carry my 300lbs of pedals but still not be able to reconfigure it by selecting a new patch.

i use matt's recommended settings. whether it gets close to the real thing or not, i have no idea, but as a useful boost, it works well and i have it in loads of my patches. use the fet boost, but change the clipping type to si diode. reduce the high cut to about 6k and set the mid control to +1db. i usually set the drive to about 6 and the volume to about 7. someone did chip in on another thread and say that they thought the klon actually used op amp clipping...in which case, you could experiment with that as well.
Thanks!!!!
Cant believe how effective this is. Thanks for reminding me of this tip which I have been meaning to try. It has immediately cured my GAS for a Allen Hinds Soul Driven Xotic pedal, which Scott Henderson raved about recently, saying it was actually better than his Klon (although later retracted from selling the Klon hehe). That pedal sounds amazing and this gets very close to it. It has an almost Holdsworthian like rich warm mid hump. love it.

I have never played a Klon...never will. But I have used Matt's settings...and it sounds good.

But I still am surprised FAS has not popped this bubble once and for all.

Thanks!!!!
Cant believe how effective this is. Thanks for reminding me of this tip which I have been meaning to try. It has immediately cured my GAS for a Allen Hinds Soul Driven Xotic pedal, which Scott Henderson raved about recently, saying it was actually better than his Klon (although later retracted from selling the Klon hehe). That pedal sounds amazing and this gets very close to it. It has an almost Holdsworthian like rich warm mid hump. love it.

yeah, its amazing how effective it is. seems to work on a whole variety of amps with different gain levels. i sometimes raise the low cut frequency (usually with class A amps) just to tighten the bass a little bit. it's the first thing i'll try if i need to goose an amp for lead work, or i just want to push it "over the edge"

I don't know how you know Bill F. but I've had the pleasure of hanging out with him in a social setting and he's a very nice human being.
+1
I don't know Bill all that well, but I had conversations with him years back and he was extremely friendly and sharing of his knowledge with me.

I've had a Klon for many years now.. used it quite a bit on and off over the years. They're great for certain applications and I think you have to consider what they were when Bill released them in the 90's. It was something new at the time when there were far less pedal options around than there are in more recent years.

I think simeon's post above with suggested settings is what I use to replicate the Klon in the Axe FX. I also use my original Klon into the Axe at times as well. And still use it into my tube amps.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/Various/i-bNMCqgG/1/L/IMG_3837-L.jpg
A

Last edited:
Here's an interesting page with the circuit analysis:

http://www.coda-effects.com/p/klon-centaur-circuit-analysis.html

I'm considering picking up a Soul Food just to do an A/B and dial in a similar sound with the FET Boost. I did that with my Timmy clone and the Timmy in the AX8 and ended up tweaking the high and low cutoffs and changing the clipping type to better match the actual pedal. I've got an OCD clone as well that would be interesting to dial in against the Rat.

Here's an interesting page with the circuit analysis:

http://www.coda-effects.com/p/klon-centaur-circuit-analysis.html

I'm considering picking up a Soul Food just to do an A/B and dial in a similar sound with the FET Boost. I did that with my Timmy clone and the Timmy in the AX8 and ended up tweaking the high and low cutoffs and changing the clipping type to better match the actual pedal. I've got an OCD clone as well that would be interesting to dial in against the Rat.
The Soul Food is a very good pedal.

I have quite a pedal collection after nearly 40 years of playing but they're all just in my locker at this point. I busted out a few the other day but, really, I can't find any use for them so long as I'm using the Axe

The Soul Food is a very good pedal.

I have quite a pedal collection after nearly 40 years of playing but they're all just in my locker at this point. I busted out a few the other day but, really, I can't find any use for them so long as I'm using the Axe

I totally recognize the feeling.

Back
Top Bottom