So, the whole Klon thing

There is something about outboard gear, real or not is debateable. Thousands of dollars for an old pedal with a handfull of parts costing just a few dollars is not really the point, it goes to what it does for the sounds you are getting. Of course we are all guilty of thinking we are getting better tones than we are or we are playing better than we actually can, that ego thing comes into play. However, to the same end I recently purchased a D.W. Fearn VT-3 DI something I did not really need but I swear to you it makes a difference. I just can't prove it.

The placebo effect as it applies to inspiration is real.

If it inspires you and you capture that inspiration in a track and you get the results you want, placebo or no, mission accomplished.

What I really need to do is spend more time trying to recreate the pedal on my AX8, then take it back to his studio for further comparison and tweaking.

The hype surrounding the Klon, as well as the negativity around here, is truly baffling. This is the tamest thread on the subject I've yet to encounter. Yay!

It helps that we're not trying to build a Klon(e) or buy a Klon. We're not on freestompboxes or thegearpage so we're not trying to debunk it, or praise it into high heaven. We just like to have it modeled.

There is something about outboard gear, real or not is debateable. Thousands of dollars for an old pedal with a handfull of parts costing just a few dollars is not really the point, it goes to what it does for the sounds you are getting. Of course we are all guilty of thinking we are getting better tones than we are or we are playing better than we actually can, that ego thing comes into play. However, to the same end I recently purchased a D.W. Fearn VT-3 DI something I did not really need but I swear to you it makes a difference. I just can't prove it.

Placebo effect? Confirmation bias? As long as you know its there and you spent a lot of money on it, chances are you will swear it makes a difference. In the end only a true blind test will really tell the difference.

One thing: the Klon I played through is not all that transparent, or at least, it doesn't have to be (and that's not how the owner had it set on his board). I played it through an old Twin Reverb, and it definitely added something interesting, even at a non-gig volume (the amp was running through an attenuator). It's also a great stacking pedal (so is the Timmy).

I'll keep working on a good block for it, and if I ever get there, I'll post it.

Is there a parameter in the Drive block that allows us to control compression of a specific frequency range, or is there another way to achieve that without decreasing the EQ range of the pedal?

I gotcha Klon right here, kids! :D

I hate to admit my willingness to venture outside the FAS ecosystem occasionally, and a shitstirrer I am NOT, but , partially because of this thread, my Klon-curiosity caused me to learn a little more about this controversial pedal. Reverb.com has some interesting articles/videos , and tho I knew some of my fav players favor this thing, the fervor over cloning it and upwards of 3500$ for a gold one..sheesh..THEN..
I've had a Helix since it came out, for months it was delegated to routing/MIDI duties due to its (then) obviously inferior sonic characteristics, but did that routing thing VERY well. so kept it.
In the last couple weeks, My XL+ has been afflicted with the currently-still-unsolved 6.02 freeze bug, so I had a very brief affair with Timmy, a wonderful transparent overdrive, before it was taken from me by reverting to beta..I then decided to upgrade the Helix firmware and discovered they got some audio mojo happening now, not the least of which is an extremely pleasant and seemingly accurate sounding Klon Clone (Minotaur). I ran that into the front end of my drive-hobbled XL+ and, strangely, began to understand what the fuss is.......

I hate to admit my willingness to venture outside the FAS ecosystem occasionally, and a shitstirrer I am NOT, but , partially because of this thread, my Klon-curiosity caused me to learn a little more about this controversial pedal. Reverb.com has some interesting articles/videos , and tho I knew some of my fav players favor this thing, the fervor over cloning it and upwards of 3500$ for a gold one..sheesh..THEN..
I've had a Helix since it came out, for months it was delegated to routing/MIDI duties due to its (then) obviously inferior sonic characteristics, but did that routing thing VERY well. so kept it.
In the last couple weeks, My XL+ has been afflicted with the currently-still-unsolved 6.02 freeze bug, so I had a very brief affair with Timmy, a wonderful transparent overdrive, before it was taken from me by reverting to beta..I then decided to upgrade the Helix firmware and discovered they got some audio mojo happening now, not the least of which is an extremely pleasant and seemingly accurate sounding Klon Clone (Minotaur). I ran that into the front end of my drive-hobbled XL+ and, strangely, began to understand what the fuss is.......
Tho, truth be told, I can get pretty,pretty close with the FAS Boost.

Well, I've been here for quite a while, but I never got why the klon was such problem to model. The whole troll problem wasn't that long ago. Why wasn't it modelled long before that nutcase came along? Cliff bought an actual Dumble and modelled it. Why not a klon? I must have missed it if Cliff shared any thoughts on it.

Actually there is another drive pedal ominously omitted from our catalog. Hrrmmmbbblmmm2.
Not that I miss it, it sounds horrible. But some have pleaded for it. Don't know why that's still absent. Maybe because it sounds horrible. But the klon doesn't. So they say.

Of course Cliff could just undercut everything and finally announce that we have had one all along. The FAS Boost was based on a Klon Centaur from the beginning... That'd be hilarious.

There are number of drive models that can get very close. Close enough, really, to where this thread and all the other threads and posts about the Klon are essentially moot.

Don't you know I've just been bragging this whole time?! Click bait, and all... lol

My real reason was that I do get some of the fuss over those Gold Centaur Klon pedals. The KTR certainly isn't bad, either.

How many thousands of good drive pedals are out there now? It's completely overwhelming, and I went through that buy/sell/trade phase years ago. What no other gear will ever have, is the ability to sound as good as the Fractal at a reasonable volume.

Well, maybe there is something to the latest Helix update. I haven't had a chance to play one yet.

Tho, truth be told, I can get pretty,pretty close with the FAS Boost.

Seems a big of an oversite as missing a tube screamer. I'm guessing something about modeling it is difficult. It's been asked for since the original axe fx.
Nah. If he can model a tube amp this well, a relatively simple overdrive should not be a problem. I have total faith in Cliff.

You guys and gals want my guess (and it is absolutely a guess)?

Professional courtesy.
Actually I thought the klon was a '60s pedal. It certainly looks the part. That would have made any patents defunct. But it's an early '90s design. Still over 20 years old.

So who would Cliff be courteous to? He never let that stop him before. There's tons of klones out there already. Bill will always have the niche of being the original. People that don't care about that will buy a klone anyway.

Seems a big of an oversite as missing a tube screamer. I'm guessing something about modeling it is difficult. It's been asked for since the original axe fx.
There is no chance of this being an oversight, this is most definitely a choice (BTW, https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/oversite). The klon thing has come up many times, even before he who shall remain nameless and is not worthy to even be mentioned in initials. Cliff just doesn't seem to deem it worth the effort.

But there is a big chance he ruined it for as much that Cliff will not model it just to make sure that that person will not have access to it should that person still have a Fractal.

So. That said, I'm not currently missing anything. Although block settings for the FAS Boost would be fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom