... So the mackie/qsc solution is outdated now, or what?

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Is anyone still using that setup or has everybody turned over to matrix frfr/neolight or atomic?:)

I'm asking because that setup was the initial goal and max GAS. But everything has changed?:ugeek:)

I think you're seeing the impacts of product / market evolution (new tools targeted at the modeller community) and user evolution. I can remember when many / most Axe-FX users had yet to experience what a really well designed FRFR solution could do for their tone. In the midst of this learning curve new products are released that may, or may not be, better than what has been in use, although they hold out that promise. All of this combined then leads to waves of "flavour of the day".

Hopefully everyone is learning, growing and having some fun in the pursuit.

Terry.

I use QSC K10's and they do the job very well, and most of the time I use farfield IR's to have my monitor act/feel like a guitar cab.

I also tried a Mackie but they are far below the QSC's in quality IMO

Jens

Outdated? Not really. The Mackie & QSC stuff is as good as it ever was. There are some newer speakers that a lot of people prefer but they come at a premium. It's not like the CLRs are the same price as a K8. On the other hand, they're not that much more than a K12. :)

I use QSC K10's and they do the job very well, and most of the time I use farfield IR's to have my monitor act/feel like a guitar cab.

I also tried a Mackie but they are far below the QSC's in quality IMO

Jens

Hi Jens

Could you please share which farfield IRs you're using that give you the amp in the room feel?

I've tried several and they always sound quite bad to me.

Are there any tricks you do with these IRs to make them work better?

The only ones I get to work are Jay Mitchell's which means that I only have a few. But I pretty much always can get them to work.

For the rest I pretty much dial in the amp with the tonestack that goes along with it and use hi and lo cut.

I'd be glad to help you but maybe shoot me a pm about it since it is off topic...

Jens

The only ones I get to work are Jay Mitchell's which means that I only have a few. But I pretty much always can get them to work.

For the rest I pretty much dial in the amp with the tonestack that goes along with it and use hi and lo cut.

I'd be glad to help you but maybe shoot me a pm about it since it is off topic...

Jens

Hmm.
I've already tried most of Jay's FF IRs and to me they sound like crap.
I wonder what your secret sauce must be.

Hmm.
I've already tried most of Jay's FF IRs and to me they sound like crap.
I wonder what your secret sauce must be.
Try using them in a stereo cab mixed with the cab of your choice. The NF/FF mix lets you adjust the amount of "in the room" sound that results.

Also, the sonic fidelity of the FF IRs shot by JM highly (ie, how much they sound as the cab they've been shot from) highly depends on your cab's transparency and quality.

Back
Top Bottom