So post 11b on high gain stuff - like tones better without drives... WAT!?

I've always been a user of a drive pedal in front of the amp for my high gain stuff. But as I was toying around today I just started playing with the amps alone, and I'm finding that I'm loving my tone a whole lot more. This is the first time I've felt this way across the board, so I've got to ask. Anybody else feeling this way?

Maybe it's because the amp dynamics are nicer. Maybe it's the bass cut function. Maybe it's the way the amps naturally compress now... What do you guys and gals think?

Which amps are you using? I've found some amps that work wonderfully alone (for that chugga-chugga nonsense) and some that sound flubby.

Yeah! The Peaveys have always sounded fine to me without a drive pedal (in "real life", that is). The Splawns and Rectos are just boomy beasts without a drive pedal tightening things up IME.

I can't tolerate any but the Herbie ch4, and maybe 3, without a pedal in front. They all gurgle and splutter rather than ZOOM. Makes me wonder whether they're really accurate. In fact, many of the Monsters of High Gain amps showcased sound fuckin ugly with a TS in front of them, and great without.

I can't tolerate any but the Herbie ch4, and maybe 3, without a pedal in front. They all gurgle and splutter rather than ZOOM. Makes me wonder whether they're really accurate. In fact, many of the Monsters of High Gain amps showcased sound fuckin ugly with a TS in front of them, and great without.

They sound that way in real life too. The difference is when you put them in the mix. The TS immediately tightens the tone and lets it sit perfectly with plenty of room for the bass.

I noticed the same with the FAS modern. I get more clarity when turning off the drive for rhythm stuff with FW11b. I still like the drive for leads though but the guitar is getting wild with the squealing and feedback if I let go of the strings. I love it! Like I am riding a wild stallion.

Idk if I can say I've experienced this phenomenon, but I'd like to. I usually make scene 1 amp/cab/delay/reverb with no drive to get a bare-bones approximation of the amp, then make scene 2 the +drive block version of scene 1.

They sound that way in real life too. The difference is when you put them in the mix. The TS immediately tightens the tone and lets it sit perfectly with plenty of room for the bass.

And see - I'm feeling like the bass cut in combination with some very casual EQ work is taking care of my needs for clearing the low end of the mix. When I put a boost in front of my amp (and I've tried many different combinations with level, tone, drive, etc.) post 11b, I feel like it just starts over-compressing the gain on the amps I'm using. As a result, there's plenty of room for lows in the mix, but I feel like the mids are a lot more scratchy and don't blend very well with the rest of the mix. I also feel that a boost adversely effects the sizzle of the amps for the sound I'm going for. I would also describe the sound of it as being very flat on the note bloom. I know that is desirable in certain situations. It's just not what I'm really shooting for at this moment in time.

Granted, I'm not exactly playing extreme tech-death metal or something. I love the gain sounds of bands like Textures, Tool, The Ocean, Mastodon, etc. It's also probably partly my pickups, which are Bareknuckle Painkillers. They already drive the amp really hard as they are pretty high output, so now that the dynamics are so responsive on the amps, and the compression is so much higher, maybe for me the TS is just overkill (for me).

Then again - I remember the first time I decided I would try a boost in front of my 6505+ in the form of a tubescreamer. Even using it "correctly" as a boost, I didn't really dig the sound that much. So I guess maybe I'm just not a boost guy anymore. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with the tones I'm creating not using a boost. I feel like they are heavier, much more mixable, and sound a lot more alive than when I've used a boost in the past.

That makes sense. All of those bands are pretty low gain "high gain" bands and they all really push for the raw sizzle you get from going straight in. I feel like the drives add quite a bit of compression too, which makes sense because you're slamming the front end of the amp but if you're going for more of the...for lack of a better example, periphery tone.. the 808 just makes things gel together really nicely. With the examples you gave, I think you're dead on skipping it and just using the amps native gain.

Totally. I guess the biggest point to all of this is that before this firmware, I've always felt that there were beneficial aspects to achieving the tone in my head by using boosts in front of the amps on the Axe. This is literally the first time I've taken the boost off, dialed the amp in again, and said "Well I'll be damned. That's the EXACT sound I was looking for."

The cool part is I didn't have to sell or trade any gear to find that out. That's why I love this little black box. So great!

I will upgrade too :)
The only thing is that my next gig is in 2 weeks and I don't have much time to check/adjust my presets...
Probably will upgrade after the gig since I will have a week off.

I will upgrade too :)
The only thing is that my next gig is in 2 weeks and I don't have much time to check/adjust my presets...
Probably will upgrade after the gig since I will have a week off.

i'm guessing the release will be out before then.... i'm waiting for the release at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom