So...Now the FX8 is in peoples hands...what do you think?

We are aware of this usability issue, and are currently working on a fix. I plan on releasing a public beta addressing this in the near future. So, please stand by. For those of you who are going to hold your breath, please take a deep one. ;)

This is excellent news. As someone new to Fractal Audio equipment I sincerely appreciate the responsiveness of the company to the needs of it's users. Money well spent. You guys rock. :)
'

Just to add to the OP question.
I've had the FX-8 for a couple weeks now and it is to replace a pretty well stocked pedal board that had two Eventide H9's, a Strymon Möbius, a Pigtronix Echolution2 and their Infinity Looper as well as numerous drive and fuzz pedals all controlled by a GigRig G2 loop switcher.

I can say for sure that I haven't regretted selling the H9's, the Möbius, or the Echolution because the FX-8 has been an upgrade replacement for them.
Further, I haven't bothered to connect any of the drives or fuzz pedals yet to the FX-8 although at least one fuzz, the Trombetta Bone Machine is likely to stay. The rest however are probably covered by the FX-8 with some time spent tweaking to fill the holes they left.
The FX-8 is a home run...bordering on a grand slam...
Thanks Fractal for doing things right!

Echoing some of what's been said, I bought the fx8 to replace my strymon timeline and mobius an h9 and my whammy V.

It has easily knocked those off the board and they are already sold.

The drives are the real surprise. So far I'm loving them! And being able to have them dialed in really specifically for my different guitars is something I wouldn't really do onstage between tunes.

I may need to add a fuzz box or two but I'll keep tweaking before I give up on the G3 blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@phaneuf, randombastage: sounds interesting, guys. I have a
H9 (that kicked the el cap and others off my board) I love to bits,
a tc hof and two himelstrutz pedals
and a disaster area dcp-5 midi/relay switcher
plus one exp pedal on my board which has just the same real estate than the fx8 - but the exp pedal included. (I also use the pigtronix looper which gives me A and B loops for verse and chorus which the fx8 cannot do unfortunately).Was thinking of buying a second H9 and be done with - sort of - 4 efx at a time, if the waiting for the fx8 will be too long over here in Europe - G66 changed their estimated arrival from "spring" to "3. Q."

Your feedback sounds encouraging. In what way do you prefer the Fx8 to Strymon and Eventide gear - just simple convenience of a multi, UI, or are you talking about efx quality?

Echoing some of what's been said, I bought the fx8 to replace my strymon timeline and mobius an h9 and my whammy V. It has easily knocked those off the board and they are already sold. The drives are the real surprise. So far I'm loving them! And being able to have them dialed in really specifically for my different guitars is something I wouldn't really do onstage between tunes. I may need to add a fuzz box or two but I'll keep tweaking before I give up on the G3 blocks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a good whammy V setting, I am having trouble getting there.
Thanks,
Chris

I want this. It'd be a perfect accessory for my 1991 Mesa Mark IV, but I'm really frustrated that it doesn't offer smart harmonization! Or for those who now have it, am I wrong?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I want this. It'd be a perfect accessory for my 1991 Mesa Mark IV, but I'm really frustrated that it doesn't offer smart harmonization! Or for those who now have it, am I wrong?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you mean harmonizing in a particular key and scale, yes you are wrong. The FX8 does do that.

I’ve been enjoying my FX-8 for a couple of weeks now without issues…other than having to consult the manual for clarity a few times (read the entire manual in advance). The unit was ready to go right out of the box and I was able to quickly connect it using the 4CM and start dialing in nice sounding settings. Those of you who have used multi-FX units will find that the FX-8 seems familiar but much more intuitive. As stated in another thread, I intentionally gave equal time to learning how to setup presets using the FX-Edit and the LCD display so I'll feel confident making quick tweaks during gigs. As a visual person, the FX-Edit has a certain appeal but the LCD is easy enough. One thing worth noting is that running blocks in parallel requires very different settings. At this point, I believe its possible to abandoned my traditional pedalboard altogether, which was a key reason for making the purchase. Unfortunately, our bassist is recovering from major surgery so it will be a little while longer before the FX-8 gets a live workout.

Echoing some of what's been said, I bought the fx8 to replace my strymon timeline and mobius an h9 and my whammy V.

It has easily knocked those off the board and they are already sold.

The drives are the real surprise. So far I'm loving them! And being able to have them dialed in really specifically for my different guitars is something I wouldn't really do onstage between tunes.

I may need to add a fuzz box or two but I'll keep tweaking before I give up on the G3 blocks.

Hey N.Phaneuf,

So your saying the quality of the FX8 delay easily surpasses the the Strymon? If so, please explain. I ask because that is where I am at, do I buy FX8 or just get Strymon pedals and make a board.

Thanks

Hey N.Phaneuf,

So your saying the quality of the FX8 delay easily surpasses the the Strymon? If so, please explain. I ask because that is where I am at, do I buy FX8 or just get Strymon pedals and make a board.

Thanks

+1, see my post above.

@BluesRock, what are you using to replace your Vox Satchurator? I use the SDD Preamp as a boost and the M-Zone Dist as my main distortion. Not a Satchurator, but good enough I haven't felt the need to figure out how to integrate it with my FX8.

@BluesRock, what are you using to replace your Vox Satchurator? I use the SDD Preamp as a boost and the M-Zone Dist as my main distortion. Not a Satchurator, but good enough I haven't felt the need to figure out how to integrate it with my FX8.

For the most part, I've been experimenting with a number of the drive effects. I've been surprised to be enjoying the Fat Rat...like the Satchurator, is a little difficult to tame but tweaking will deliver some satisfying favors particularly when paired with an OD pedal. Compared with my “real” pedals, the FAS models have more headroom and so I’ve had to set the drive (gain) dial lower.

Hey N.Phaneuf,

Thanks

I also moved from the Timeline and Mobius to the FX8.
I would not use the word "easily surpasses" Strymon. I would say that you can make any delay or effect that the Strymon can make with the FX8. The only thing that I warn you, is that the FX8 delays are extremely tweakable but you need to know what you are doing. You have all the tools to make the delay sound any way you want but to do that you ned to learn about deep delay editing.
I also sold my pedals and other like the Blue sky are still listed on TGP.

Your feedback sounds encouraging. In what way do you prefer the Fx8 to Strymon and Eventide gear - just simple convenience of a multi, UI, or are you talking about efx quality?

I prefer the UI of the fx8 and flexibility of routing over my strymon/h9 rig.

Strymon stuff sounded amazing and if they ever built a GUI and considered a multi effect I would check it out but I'm pleased with the FX8.

Back
Top Bottom