So...Now the FX8 is in peoples hands...what do you think?

So more feedback/geekery:

I tweaked my main jamming preset this morning to better suit my tele(asat) for a country rockabilly gig tonight.

I added a compressor, which sounded better than any pedal I have personally owned, to the beginning of my chain. Dialed in my drive blocks to fit the hotter output of the P90 style pick ups of my guitar and then took it to rehearsal.

I got to the rehearsal and made a last minute decision to try my Gretsch duo jet instead. I was able to make a few necessary tweaks in between tunes with ease. I can't say enough how impressed I am with navigating from the front panel.

I honestly felt like I didn't have any effects on at all in the best possible way. It just felt like my guitar and amp. But I had compression tremolo spring reverb and slapback on at various times and they sounded so great and felt so natural. I'm using a parametric EQ block for a clean solo boosts and am really pleased with the results.

I was a little nervous about how this low-tech band would feel about this high-tech box at my feet. But no one noticed anything except for how much they liked my sound.

Psyched for this gig. It's a one off with a singer from Austin that I used to tour with. Will report...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say the more time I spend with the FX8 the more I like it. I got my pedalboard set up today and tried out the G3 drives. I've seen some other people reference it but I'm still amazed how the FX8 feels like your playing through a bunch of pedals. I don't know if it is just in my head but I'm really digging the feel of the unit.

I have to say the more time I spend with the FX8 the more I like it. I got my pedalboard set up today and tried out the G3 drives. I've seen some other people reference it but I'm still amazed how the FX8 feels like your playing through a bunch of pedals. I don't know if it is just in my head but I'm really digging the feel of the unit.

It's all about careful (and expensive) gain staging. IOW keeping the analog components operating in their ideal range, minimizing the use of coupling capacitors and maintaining adequate headroom. All this while keeping any added noise to an absolute minimum. If you employ the "standard" accounting-driven philosophies you can't do it. You can't use TL074 op-amps and cheap electrolytic caps and single-ended converters. You've got to use high-end differential converters, film caps and premium op-amps.

But naturally, this is all merely conjecture and hyperbole, since the manufacturer, wouldn't want to publicly divulge any aspects of the secrets of his designs, and the advantage they impart over the competition, you mean?

So when I use my Mesa amps with my AXE FX II, I get a very low bleed through. Example, I can hear my guitar when the volume pedal is all the way down. Will I have the same issue with the FX8? If I recall, this was due to the Mesa Boogie's fx loop.

i just went through the new G3'ed drives and some of them sound absolutely fantastic. the xotic series is vastly improved IMO as is the fat rat. i can't wait to spend more time with them!

So when I use my Mesa amps with my AXE FX II, I get a very low bleed through. Example, I can hear my guitar when the volume pedal is all the way down. Will I have the same issue with the FX8? If I recall, this was due to the Mesa Boogie's fx loop.

That's probably the result of a parallel loop with a mix control that doesn't really go to a true 100% wet. You can set your post fx to 100% wet mix (kill dry) and use the mix knob on your amp to blend them in parallel. That works well with delay and verb, less so with EQ and mods. Or you can mod your amp to have a serial loop. It's an easy mod. Usually involves desoldering one end of a resistor. Mesa can send you instructions for your specific amp.

That's probably the result of a parallel loop with a mix control that doesn't really go to a true 100% wet. You can set your post fx to 100% wet mix (kill dry) and use the mix knob on your amp to blend them in parallel. That works well with delay and verb, less so with EQ and mods. Or you can mod your amp to have a serial loop. It's an easy mod. Usually involves desoldering one end of a resistor. Mesa can send you instructions for your specific amp.

They have serial loops, both are Marks

I've had my FX8 for about a week and a half and have done 3 shows with it. The rig for each show has been an FX8, Tech 21 British, and Crybaby 95Q into a Tech 21 Power Engine. The FX8 has performed perfectly and sounds absolutely fantastic. I've played everything from classic rock to 80's hair metal to Mississippi blues to Country with it. The last gig I added an EHX C9 to the board and the FX8 rotary absolutely kills with the organ pedal (as well as guitar). I can hardly wait for an AX8.

I am really enjoying my FX8, really good sounds.
I am having a bit of trouble dialing in my drives.
Any tips or favorites?
My main analog drive on my board are an original Klon, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, for fuzz I use a Tonebender and a Pete Cornish P1
Thanks, chris

Any tips or favorites?
My main analog drive on my board are an original Klon, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, for fuzz I use a Tonebender and a Pete Cornish P1
Thanks, chris

the fat rat sounds great to me and is one of the most versatile pedals in the FX8. i would play around with that one. i think the next batch of G3'ed drives will be added soon so i'm guessing they will sound better overall and will be easier to dial in

Any tips or favorites?
Thanks, chris

Are you using the beta firmware? The drives are updated in the beta.

Are you using the beta firmware? The drives are updated in the beta.

Thanks, I have not yet updated the firmware, I am using the firmware it shipped with.
I will update tomorrow
I will also look at the noise gate, I feel there might be too much gate for my taste.
One thing I thought is that much like traditional pedals they need to be dialed in at real world volume levels not bedroom levels.
For example a fuzz face doesn't sound good at low volumes (bedroom) but takes off at band levels.
Certain drives do work great at low volumes, lots of amp in a box pedals do.
I will report back after the update.
Chris

Any tips or favorites?
Thanks, chris

My personal favorites so far are the Esoteric ACB, the esoteric RCB, and the Tube Drv 4 knob.

As far as 'tips' I've found the low cut and hi cut to be the most important controls to change how the dirt reacts to my playing.

I like to use two stages of gain like a fuzz before an overdrive and so I'm using the parametric eq for solo boost.

I'll post some of my blocks soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any tips or favorites?
Thanks, chris

I've been using the mod 808 and just about have it dialed in. Next in line is the Rat

Back
Top Bottom