So...Now the FX8 is in peoples hands...what do you think?

scorch

Experienced
How about some feedback for us poor schlubs backed up on the waiting list.

Does it interface with amps and Axe FX equally well?

I've only played it with my real live Fender '64 deluxe (no Axe FX to try it with.) I'm seriously impressed.

I think it's going to take a little while to dial in the distortion tones (this part seems harder than with my analog boxes.) Everything else ('verb delay trem etc) sounds so good and was really easy to dial in.

I'm going to take it out this weekend for a club gig. I'll file a full report on the forum following that.

I'd really like to know if 'Unity Gain' means swapping between a Strat (SSS) and a PRS/Les Paul (HH) etc on the same preset really does means 'Unity Gain' i.e' no change in volume? It's one of the main reasons I'm buying the unit vice my existing Line 6 M13.

Any comments/feedback (no pun intended) gratefully accepted :)

I'd really like to know if 'Unity Gain' means swapping between a Strat (SSS) and a PRS/Les Paul (HH) etc on the same preset really does means 'Unity Gain' i.e' no change in volume? It's one of the main reasons I'm buying the unit vice my existing Line 6 M13.

Any comments/feedback (no pun intended) gratefully accepted :)

You might be disappointed. Unless your guitar are all the same volume. This unit reacts to each guitar in a very natural way, it doesn't compensate for changes in pickup position or type.

Ok thanks. I guess (having read the manual), I'll have to set up the levels individually as I step through my set list, using the same guitar I'll use for that particular scene/preset.

Ok thanks. I guess (having read the manual), I'll have to set up the levels individually as I step through my set list, using the same guitar I'll use for that particular scene/preset.

Another option, if you don't use all the blocks in your presets for other purposes is to set up a clean boost, like an EQ block set flat for example, with an X,Y state in increments of minus a few db for X and then plus a few db for Y to effectively raise or lower the input level across three settings (minus (X) - even(bypass the block) - plus (Y)) as needed.

Last edited:
Another option, if you don't use all the blocks in your presets for other purposes is to set up a clean boost, like an EQ block set flat for example, with an X,Y state in increments of minus a few db for X and then plus a few db for Y to effectively raise or lower the input level across three settings (minus (X) - even(bypass the block) - plus (Y)) as needed.

Thanks for the info. It's great having this forum to get advice from those in the know, especially for a Fractal virgin like me. All I need now is an FX8 to put this advice to good use!

I'm digging mine! It's paired with a Bludotone Ojai. I like having both scenes and all the amazing AXE FX effects blocks just a stomp away. I ported over my favorite blocks and presets from my AXE FX XL, and a few of my favorite presets actually made it into the factory presets I think...have fun!

I'm digging mine! It's paired with a Bludotone Ojai. I like having both scenes and all the amazing AXE FX effects blocks just a stomp away. I ported over my favorite blocks and presets from my AXE FX XL, and a few of my favorite presets actually made it into the factory presets I think...have fun!

Are you able to export the Axe Fx presets, and import into the FX8? Or is it a manual process of creating each preset from scratch?

Has anyone tried to get a Phase 90 sound routed into the front of their amp yet? I was looking to do this and hopefully get away without using my EVH Phase 90 pedal saving some space on my pedalboard.

And also what about solo boosts? I'm looking to get shot of my boat pedal I connect to mt amps FX loop which gives me a solo boost. Is that possible on the FX-8 as well?

Has anyone tried to get a Phase 90 sound routed into the front of their amp yet? I was looking to do this and hopefully get away without using my EVH Phase 90 pedal saving some space on my pedalboard.

And also what about solo boosts? I'm looking to get shot of my boat pedal I connect to mt amps FX loop which gives me a solo boost. Is that possible on the FX-8 as well?

This is very easy with the FX8 using the 4 cable method.

Guitar to FX8 Input >>{effects blocks}>> FX8 Out Pre to Amp Input >> Amp FX Loop Out to FX8 In Post >>{more effects blocks}>> FX8 Out Post to Amp FX Loop In

You could put a Phase Block before the amp, and a Volume Block or Filter Block set for a nice solo boost in your Amp's FX Loop. Basically, the FX8 was designed to do exactly what you describe. During testing I ran the FX8 exactly this way in with an ENGL 1x12 E365 I own. Works great.

Are you able to export the Axe Fx presets, and import into the FX8? Or is it a manual process of creating each preset from scratch?

Presets are not compatible. But you can share blocks.

Is the available effects models that same as in the Axe FX ?
I downloaded the manual and I don't see the model list.

Is the available effects models that same as in the Axe FX ?
I downloaded the manual and I don't see the model list.

The manual states that a separate effects guide is being worked on.

The available effects models are the same.
The FX8 has additional MIDI and RELAY blocks.

This is very easy with the FX8 using the 4 cable method.

Guitar to FX8 Input >>{effects blocks}>> FX8 Out Pre to Amp Input >> Amp FX Loop Out to FX8 In Post >>{more effects blocks}>> FX8 Out Post to Amp FX Loop In

You could put a Phase Block before the amp, and a Volume Block or Filter Block set for a nice solo boost in your Amp's FX Loop. Basically, the FX8 was designed to do exactly what you describe. During testing I ran the FX8 exactly this way in with an ENGL 1x12 E365 I own. Works great.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply. How does the phase 90 sound compare to the EVH MXR version? Also what sort of level boost is a filter volume block able to do? Good enough for solo's and to cut through in a band situation?

That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply. How does the phase 90 sound compare to the EVH MXR version? Also what sort of level boost is a filter volume block able to do? Good enough for solo's and to cut through in a band situation?

I haven't compared with the EVH but it sounds quite good and is reasonably tweak able.

I have been using the parametric EQ for solo boost and I think it works really well.

Back
Top Bottom