So...Now the FX8 is in peoples hands...what do you think?

And when people tell me that the FX8 costs too much...it's all I can do to keep from laughing. Because you want to know what costs too much? All of the pedals I've got collecting dust since buying this unit. I wish it had been around years ago before I started trying to build the perfect pedalboard. I could have saved myself a small fortune. :D And these pictures don't include everything...the pedals I've sold, traded and given away.

I'm not a working musician, so my needs are likely different from others. I jam with my band once a week and we play a handful of shows a year. I'm not here trying to kiss anyone's ass. All I can say is that the FX8 has replaced every pedal and pedal related piece of gear that I've got...and I've got a crap load! It can do everything I've asked of its predecessors and more. It has simplified my setup and allows me to focus more on playing than worrying about what I've got laying at me feet. Thanks again Fractal. :encouragement:

Last edited:
Nice Alembic guitar! You don't see one those very often...
You sure have a lot of pedals! :shock
You are going to sell them all now?

Thanks for the kind words about the Alembic. It's my absolute favorite guitar. I've had four custom builds done by them. The first three I had made to commemorate the birth of each of my three children, with the promise that they could have theirs once they got older - assuming they play guitar. The fourth is all mine. The following picture shows the evolution of this one...which I consider my ideal Alembic.

When the first guitar (top left) was delivered, I was shocked at how small it really was. When I came time to build the second (top right), I asked that we retain the same overall shape but that the body be much more substantial. I thought I liked the horns on the first two until I saw a picture of a custom bass from the 70's with these lovely curled horns. I wanted to incorporate those into the third build (bottom left) whose body is a bit of a departure from the other two. After the third, I realized that I prefer longer horns but wanted the curls, so I asked that we basically build a guitar that has all of my favorite elements from the first three. And that's precisely what they did. They friggin' nailed it! Not that I don't love the other three, but this last one is essentially the vision I had more than ten years ago when I first started my journey with Alembic. It's wonderful to see this natural evolution…the features of each of my children's guitars reflected in my own.

As for all of the pedals...I'll probably just hold onto them in case my kids want them to play around with. And I periodically give stuff to our local School of Rock where my children take lessons and perform.

Sorry for the brief hijack. :encouragement:

Last edited:
No problem for the hijack for me. Wow! 4 Alembics! really love the 1st and last one of that picture. Nice that you have bought them for your children.
I love their basses as well. Especially the Stanley Clarke model. You see Alembic basses quite often but their guitars you don't see much.
Btw; no problem for finding a stand for those guitars?

Steering this back on topic, I'll say one more thing about Alembics as they relate to the FX8...

I never played my first three Alembics much. As I had them made to give to my children one day, I never really bonded with them. Plus, they were too special for me to take out of the house. Consequently, over the years, I played mostly humbucker equipped guitars - usually a Les Paul. About a year ago, I put together an excellent little pedalboard that consisted of an Eventide H9, Xotic SL Drive, a Klon clone and Tubescreamer clone (both made by a very talented friend of mine.) The Alembic electronics are proprietary and the key to their magical sound. Unfortunately, from my experience, they are also very finicky with regards to drive pedals in particular. I've gone through dozens in the past with the other Alembics. When I got my latest build from them, it happened to sound great with those three drive pedals...total luck of the draw. So that fourth Alembic has since become my one and only player. When I got the FX8, one of the major criteria for keeping it was whether or not the Alembic would good with the drive blocks. I wasn't very hopeful, as no other digital unit (and very few analog pedals) I tried before could give me the tone I needed. Happily, the Alembic along with the FX8 is a wonderful combination. I couldn't be happier. :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom