So...Now the FX8 is in peoples hands...what do you think?

I also moved from the Timeline and Mobius to the FX8.
I would not use the word "easily surpasses" Strymon. I would say that you can make any delay or effect that the Strymon can make with the FX8. The only thing that I warn you, is that the FX8 delays are extremely tweakable but you need to know what you are doing. You have all the tools to make the delay sound any way you want but to do that you ned to learn about deep delay editing.
I also sold my pedals and other like the Blue sky are still listed on TGP.

Hey N.Phaneuf,

So your saying the quality of the FX8 delay easily surpasses the the Strymon? If so, please explain. I ask because that is where I am at, do I buy FX8 or just get Strymon pedals and make a board.

Thanks

For the record I did not say the sound 'easily surpasses' anything. That's just a misquote getting carried down the thread.

I said that the fx8 easily bumped those other pedals off my board.

Why? Flexible routing, scenes, 128 presets, a great GUI. And the fx8 sounds great.

My old rig sounded good too but was becoming a pain for all the different music I play.

I totally agree that the delay requires deep editing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also just sold my Timeline/BigSky/Mobius and other pedals for the FX8. I'm hoping it sounds/feels as good, but for me a big issue was money. All my pedals were valued around 2500, so 1350 for the FX8 is a steal.

I used to have the timeline, mobius and Big sky. While they sounded great, programming them is a colossal pain in the rear. I'm in a cover band, and here is what I had to do for just ONE song, keeping in mind that I was using a musicomlab pedal switcher/midi controller

1. If the song had 3 sounds, I had to use three presets for EACH device. The reason is that I wanted to have more delay on my cleans than on my distortion. But I also wanted a different delay on my leads.
2. I had to name the three presets on each device (for example Preset 1 on each device was Hard Days night Clean, Preset 2 was Hard Days night Drive, and Preset 3 was Hard Days night Lead. Even though I wasn't using the mobius for this song, I still found I had to name the same 3 presets, but have the device off for them. Otherwise it becomes a mapping nightmare when you have 50 tunes.
3. Then I had to program each device for the three sounds for that song. In the case of hard days night. Different delays and reverbs for clean and drives. No reverb for lead, just delay. Mobius off.
4. Then I had to map my midi controller to call up these three presets for this song.

Imagine doing this for 50 tunes. An insane nightmare. Then, if you want to change the order of the tunes, the nightmare begins again.

You end up spending all your time programming instead of playing. And the fact that strymon doesn't have an editor is unbelievable to me. I tried the same thing with two Eventide h9's. Same problem, although at least you can use their editor. However, still a really bad nightmare, and not enough presets.

With the FX8, I'll program the 50 tunes, and have different scenes for each sound within the song. All done on a computer. Brilliant. A fraction of the amount of time will be spent.

I get my FX8 today.Can't wait.

I am having an issue with the formant block. I copied the settings I have on a preset from my axe fx and the speed of the effect is too fast. I have tried adjusting every parameter in the block and modifier and nothing seems to slow it down. I did see that there is a tempo menu but that also changed nothing. Is this another possible issue with the tap tempo that will be fixed shortly or just user error? Any feedback is appreciated!

What speed? Are you using an LFO to control the sweep? If you are, make sure you set up the LFO for the rate you want.

What speed? Are you using an LFO to control the sweep? If you are, make sure you set up the LFO for the rate you want.

The source is LFO 1a but I don't have any idea how to adjust the rate. I am not using any expression pedals currently (if that is the way you would do it) and I don't see anywhere in the block how to alter the rate.

The source is LFO 1a but I don't have any idea how to adjust the rate. I am not using any expression pedals currently (if that is the way you would do it) and I don't see anywhere in the block how to alter the rate.
Then you must have to alter the LFO rate outside the block. You know it can be done. :)

Try SETUP button | CONTROLLERS | LFO1 page.

I highly recommend downloading the electronic version of the manual. You can search for answers like these, and find them in a few seconds.

Then you must have to alter the LFO rate outside the block. You know it can be done. :)

Try SETUP button | CONTROLLERS | LFO1 page.

I highly recommend downloading the electronic version of the manual. You can search for answers like these, and find them in a few seconds.

Yes, thank you. I found the tempo adjustment in the controllers menu exactly as you described. Still not sure why you wouldn't be able to do it through the tempo menu in the block though?

Yes, thank you. I found the tempo adjustment in the controllers menu exactly as you described. Still not sure why you wouldn't be able to do it through the tempo menu in the block though?

I do not have the FX 8, but with the axe Fx the lfo's can be used on more then one thing at a time, and you may not want the tap tempo to effect this. you may want time based things on time and modulation effects out of time.

What paranoid said.

Think of the LFO as just another block, that exists in every preset, with its own parameters. Different parameters for every preset, and usable by multiple blocks in the same preset. Accessible from the CONTROL menu, just like in the Axe-Fx.

I have read few posts about “flexible routing”; this where I’m having trouble. Although I am enjoying quality of the effects, it is where (in a stereo, wet/dry rig) I’m hearing them that’s giving me a fit.

I was hoping that I could set bypass separately for either the Left or Right channels, but it seems that bypass only works at the preset/block level for both left and right channels. I may be wrong about that (and I hope I am), as I’m a FAS newbie.

From page 39, “…True Bypass gives you the opportunity to make comparisons, check gain settings, or just enjoy your amp in its bare-naked glory…” But what if you have two amps?

What I’ve tried so far:
Set my I/O settings set to stereo
Panned (set the balance) of the particular effect block(s) to be in the right (wet) channel/amp.

This just occurred to me; should I put an EQ block, set flat, and pan it left (dry) channel/amp and put in the beginning of the preset chain?

The one thing I was hoping that FX8 would eliminate the need for an A/B/Y box on my board. And I do have all of the pre and post connections (6 total) to my amps. Are any of you guys/gals doing a wet/dry rig in this fashion? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I spent some time setting up my presets based on my pedalboard, got them dialed in to about where I thought they should be and used it in rehearsal this week. That was my actual first time using it with the group. It was really good, used it with my smaller amp, a Roland 80gx.

Had 2 gigs this weekend & was really pleased with the FX8 after the first gig. Amp for both these is my regular '65 Twin . I did notice a few t hints that needed some tweeking like the drive gains, btw I really like the drives in the unit, they sound and feel like the drives I uses. So, I copied the preset and made my adjustments from there for the next gig. Big difference!

Really, really like the FX8 so far. I got it because of company reputation and even though I could get a Axe Fx, I thought the FX8 would be more for me. I do travel a lot gigging and was looking for something solid to replace my pedalboard. Waiting on getting an EV-1, found one on the forums that a guy was selling so I bought it.

One issue I have is the 'warble' that's in the Pitch block, hope it be addressed in an update somehow. Congrats on a fine piece of gear, my other friends are a little envious right now, lol!

DT

The one thing I was hoping that FX8 would eliminate the need for an A/B/Y box on my board. And I do have all of the pre and post connections (6 total) to my amps. Are any of you guys/gals doing a wet/dry rig in this fashion? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Have you thought about sending all PRE effects to the dry, and all POST effects to the wet, rather than splitting wet/dry in stereo? Generally that's the method - two wet amps in stereo, one center dry amp.

You'd want to run your POST effects in parallel and set the bypass mode for those blocks to MUTE IN.

You could then use presets to decide how many effects are PRE and POST, and that replaces your ABY box.

Hi, on the wait list and am entertaining myself by reading the manual and forum threads. One thing I've not seen any mention of, is the fx8 setup to use external effects? What would I do if I wanted to use my H9 for the resonator effect that is a custom h9 effect? Or maybe some other favorite pedal that might be hard to emulate with the fx8.

...is the fx8 setup to use external effects? What would I do if I wanted to use my H9 for the resonator effect that is a custom h9 effect? Or maybe some other favorite pedal that might be hard to emulate with the fx8.
There's a connection from your guitar to the FX8, from the FX8 to your preamp, from your preamp back to the FX8, and from the FX8 to your power amp. That's four places where you can insert any effect you want.

I've spent a little time with the fx8 now and I can say that one thing I've learned is to set the low and high cuts in the drive block appropriately, is key. One setting does not work for all.

When I first started going through the drives, I was underwhelmed. I basically picked some random preset and started scrolling through the different types of drives, tweaking the controls on the first page as I went along. The low cut as it turns out was set at around 60hz and high at around 2khz. Suffice to say, the sound wasn't good and it felt as though the clean tone was being mixed in with the drive tone.

Once I changed the cuts to something closer to 120hz and 3-4khz(iirc), the sound started opening up for the drive type I was auditioning. Night and day really.

So if you're not getting the results you want, try playing with those parameters.

Edit: I should add that yes this is obvious in hindsight and no I haven't read the manual :)

Last edited:
It has done pretty much everything I was expecting. If we could get the two additional drive blocks added (as is being discussed in a separate thread) I'd be home free. Even if that never happens, I'd still be completely satisfied. Scenes has been a complete game changer for me when playing live. I often pull rhythm and lead duties and handle any guitar parts with unusual modulation (rotary, pitch shift, etc...) The tap dance I used to have to do was very awkward. With Scenes, it's one foot switch at a time. Plus not having to stress about one of my pedal patch cables going bad at the wrong time is a huge relief. I would fix my pedals directly to the board with screws and route all cables underneath. It made for an exceptionally clean appearance but made it impossible to troubleshoot anything on the fly.

Plus I have never been into the amp and cab modeling thing. None of my amps have effects loops and I found that most of those modeling devices sound like crap when going through the front end of my amp. A high quality pedal only unit is something I've waited a long time for. Maybe at some point the honeymoon will be over, but another company would be hard pressed to give me something that I'd like better.

Back
Top Bottom