So much to learn

fromthebark

Experienced
I've have my axe fx II mkII for about a year and a few months.. and I am really just starting to learn how to use it correctly. I have beautiful settings in my studio, warm, deep, crushing rock rhythm and lead tones, and beautiful clean /edge of break up.. i've bought many a cab pack.. my monitors really just love a good 57 on a Greenback. but when I get to a church stage / rock club.. Those warm lush sounds are now Icepick in the brain sounds.
You don't wanna be the guy that has this fancy gear but when he starts setting up he is tweaking it for 25 minutes to get something useable, find a better cab, put an EQ block - but oh no, we don't have CPU for an eq block.. and even the eq in the amp is pushing the cpu a little to hard..
I'm just really learning the complexity of this amazing tool, and how to get it to sound the way I want, where and when I want... What cabs work with what situation, What Freq. to pull out for a Bar PA vs. a studio monitor..
The learning curve was exceptionally time laden for me.. With some of the OG presets, perhaps this COULD be just a plug and play unit, but this complex piece of machinery/art is not for everyone, especially if you have ADD, or are easily frustrated.
Like I said, it took me a year+ but now I can dial in MY sound like THAT. I know exactly what to do, where to go, what knobs need turning if I hear it's too muddy, it's too trebley, Mostly a couple of the deep parameters, and the cab block will give me what I need. Whatever the main (bass, mid, treb) amp is set to when I start new with it.. it can usually just stay exactly like it is.
I have much more appreciation for it than I did when I first got my ultra 2 years ago, then sold it for the II 6 months later.. the first chord I played, I knew I was a world apart from the ultra, and this was gonna be a wild, exceptionally rewarding ride.
Cliff - you're a total madman, I don't know how you sleep, numbers must be just running through your head all night long. do you listen to podcasts or something at night to keep you distracted? (I do lol)

I get my Axe-Fx II XL+ tomorrow. It seems like such a long wait but hey it's only been a six day wait. I really look forward to my journey and I am sure my pathway will be similar to yours. Thank you for posting your experience.

never had those issues, and it's become more and more plug and play through fw updates. i rarely, if ever, have to go beyond very basic controls, and even then i hardly have to touch B/M/T once I've found the right IR.

Back
Top Bottom