So many Plexi choices...your preference?

dmedlock

Slowly feeling a little less intimidated every day I use my FM3, but I’m still can’t believe the number of Plexi amp models to choose from. I will say that I have never played through a actual Plexi, so I really have no place to start. Would love to hear which FM3 Plexi model is your go-to choice and why, thanks!

One of the 1987X models, jump I think [EDIT: No, treble], not at my unit. Lots of folks like the 6CA7, and might too, eventually, but it's soooo bright, it'll take some work. The 1987X just feels great to me. I'm not actually a Marshall guy though, so I'm probably not looking for the typical tones.

Last edited:
I have found that a number of these Plexi amps are fabulous. Maybe just as important are the cabs you choose and the settings on the cab. It took me some time before I realized how much the cab block controls the dynamics and tone of the amp. Be sure to audition a lot of the 4x12 cabs. MHO

I am very much loving the 1987x Treble preset in Austin Buddy's Live Gold pack, with the TS activated in front of the amp and a bit of drive on it. It's just smooth plexi gain with a lot of definition and little fizz.

Back
Top Bottom