So many AFX2/MFC issues

Matt Owen

hey guys. Long time lurker, new poster.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the AXF2 fault posts include an MFC in the equation? Timeouts, ethercon/FASLINK issues etc.

I've got a GCP and despite a less-than-intuitive programming interface, I haven't had a single issue. Nor do I see many arise.

I love my AFX and AX8 and was looking into buying an MFC, but all these problem posts are kind of putting me off the purchase.

Cheers

I've been gigging hard with an MFC and AFII (and before that a Standard) for the better part of like 7 years now. Rock solid. The only time it's been an issue is when I've had a dodgy cable.

So, nope, just you. :)

Mate,
just my experience…. I've got and Axe-fx 2 and the MFC-101 since 2013. The only time I've had Time out issues where when it was not setup correctly and used a faulty ethernet cable (just happened 2 weeks ago before a gig.). Promptly replaced and problem solved.

So is it mainly dodgy cables that cause these issues? I think an MFC would come in handy but I just want it to be reliable (obviously). If it's just cable issues, are ether cons generally flimsy?

So is it mainly dodgy cables that cause these issues? I think an MFC would come in handy but I just want it to be reliable (obviously). If it's just cable issues, are ether cons generally flimsy?
Literally, pros tour around the world with it. It's not any more or less reliable than the GCP. Ether-Con is definitely the least-robust cable approach you can take with an MFC/AFII combination. That's why FASLink, which uses a dead simple XLR-based cable same as you use for a microphone, was invented -- to be a more durable connection standard for the pair.

Literally just used the MFC at a gig for the first time this last Friday. What is this FASLink cable? Where does it plug in on an MFC? What do you have to change in the way you have things set up? Does it work with a Mark II MFC and an original Mark II Axe? Just barely getting into live playing with the AxeFX/MFC so I'd like to avoid issues. If there is a better way I'm all ears.

Literally just used the MFC at a gig for the first time this last Friday. What is this FASLink cable? Where does it plug in on an MFC? What do you have to change in the way you have things set up? Does it work with a Mark II MFC and an original Mark II Axe? Just barely getting into live playing with the AxeFX/MFC so I'd like to avoid issues. If there is a better way I'm all ears.
FASlink uses a regular XLR cable and was introduced with the Axe-Fx II XL and the MFC-101 Mark III.

Never had an issue with years of use . I have two MFC's and two Axfxii units and just got the Ax8 a couple months ago. Rock solid!

hey guys. Long time lurker, new poster.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the AXF2 fault posts include an MFC in the equation? Timeouts, ethercon/FASLINK issues etc.

I've got a GCP and despite a less-than-intuitive programming interface, I haven't had a single issue. Nor do I see many arise.

I love my AFX and AX8 and was looking into buying an MFC, but all these problem posts are kind of putting me off the purchase.

Cheers

As a longtime lurker I think you'll agree that the "fault" post make up maybe 1% of forum post, and that is taking into account that a lot of users only post when they have a problem

Look at some other brands, where again, many people only post, write a review etc, because they had a negative issue, and the incidence is far higher.

Fractal Audio gear is about as rock solid as you can get in the industry. Doesn't mean there is a 100% assurance stuff won't ever break, but that can't be said for anything. Amps blow, even Pete Cornish boards can get faults etc etc

Backup is always a good idea, but I certainly wouldn't expect a MFC to not work

I used to gig and rehearse with an Ethernet cable plugged from MFC-101 Mark III to AxeFX II XL. I was plugging and unplugging a few times per week, and never had problems.

I *did* have a problem where I forgot an Ethernet cable to rehearsal recently, was screwed with no floor pedal, and then I switched to FASLink so I can use a regular XLR cable. This is a much more robust connector, but more importantly, if you forget a cable, any venue or rehearsal space or a fellow band member will have a spare mic cable. Only geeks carry Ethernet cables, and even that is rare now with ubiquitous WiFi.

Over the (many) years, I've had 2 problems with 'Timeout' issues. The common thread was always a FW upgrade. A reset of the MFC fixed it each time.

+1 to the comment that people only post when there is a problem.

+1 to the 'nothing is foolproof comment as well. Keep a backup handy.

just to join the choir....have gigged mine weekly for years and never one issue. well, once when i accidentally plugged a USB cable into the ethernet jack and toasted it but since have used 7 pin midi with zero issues.

Over the (many) years, I've had 2 problems with 'Timeout' issues. The common thread was always a FW upgrade. A reset of the MFC fixed it each time.

+1 to the comment that people only post when there is a problem.

+1 to the 'nothing is foolproof comment as well. Keep a backup handy.

ditto

edited to add: learn how to use your gear - the MFC reset was the key for me too ... although I did it accidently, hence my suggestion to actually "learn" it and save yourself the headaches. ;)

I never had an issue with mine either. I never did bond with it and we parted ways on good terms (sold off to a forum member).

I really like what I am reading about the footswitches on the AX8. It sounds like what I wish the MFC worked like.

I've had my Mfc since I got my Ultra years ago, it's a mk1 and I have never felt the need to replace it. I now use it with my Axe2 using a midi cable and have had zero issues in 5+ years.

Haha well I guess my presumptions are blown out of the water. Thanks heaps everyone. You've made up my mind about the MFC

I had the problem a few times. Even with a completely different MFC and AxeFX (after upgrading both). Yes, it's rare but it still sometimes does it. Not done it at a gig for a while but It has locked in rehearsal several times. To be honest, I don't think anyone has a clue as to why or how it happens.
I use my AX8 more at home as that is permanently wired into my studio PA in my live room. LOVE the AX8. Hopefully in a few years, we can have an AX8 version equally as powerful as my current Axefx XL.

Literally, pros tour around the world with it. It's not any more or less reliable than the GCP. Ether-Con is definitely the least-robust cable approach you can take with an MFC/AFII combination. That's why FASLink, which uses a dead simple XLR-based cable same as you use for a microphone, was invented -- to be a more durable connection standard for the pair.

Having owned a GCP and seeing it's build quality, I would argue the MFC is far more reliable.

I was one of the guys having the timeout issue. In my case it turned out to be a simple matter of updating it correctly and me being a noob with it. The FAS guys were super helpful and walked me through the fix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom