So is this temperature normal?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Just turned on the FM3-a\c 76F degrees room. Temp says 123F and now it is going up to 132F. That seems really hot for just starting up. It is wavering between 129F and 131F. Have not DONE anything, now 132F steady? I don't like that. Anyone?

I'm beginning to regret selling my AX8 :(

That is now NORMAL, you are good.

Read this explanation from Admin Below, the change was with 105. The FM3 is now reporting Chip Core temperatures.....which will be much hotter.

“A note about CPU temps: the fan now operates at different thresholds than when the ambient temperature was used. It should now spin up at 60°C, switch to high speed at 70°C, and turn off when the temperature drops below 55°C.

Also note that on-screen temperature readings may be different than those you may have become accustomed to seeing when the ambient temperature was being measured“

“A good CPU temperature for gaming stands between 70 to 80 degrees Celsius (158-176°F).”

https://thewiredshopper.com/what-temperature-should-cpu-be-and-what-is-normal-temperature/

My Intel Quad Core idles at about 151 and jumps to 180+ when it’s working. My H.P. is nearly 15 years old and still running!
OK I give up, but that is REALLY high. My CPU temp, (i7 8700 9th gen) when running newest tomb raider games (my Achilles heel) gets to about 58, sometimes 60 Celsius. Sorry but the temps on youe PC do not seem realistic. I do not mean you are mistaken, but how good is the motherboard of a 15 year old PC at measuring temps.

No more replies are needed-obviously I am alone on this and I will just live with it.........................I may get on the list for another one though.

Just turned on the FM3-a\c 76F degrees room. Temp says 123F and now it is going up to 132F. That seems really hot for just starting up. It is wavering between 129F and 131F. Have not DONE anything, now 132F steady? I don't like that. Anyone?

Fractal has updated what the fan reads and how it behaves in the latest firmware. There could be more adjustments in the future but for now the fan goes into high speed mode at 158F so you should be fine at 132.

That is now NORMAL, you are good.

Read this explanation from Admin Below, the change was with 105. The FM3 is now reporting Chip Core temperatures.....which will be much hotter.

“A note about CPU temps: the fan now operates at different thresholds than when the ambient temperature was used. It should now spin up at 60°C, switch to high speed at 70°C, and turn off when the temperature drops below 55°C.

Also note that on-screen temperature readings may be different than those you may have become accustomed to seeing when the ambient temperature was being measured“

Snarky? How about my honest thoughts? Snarky...? Nope!

But hey, you win......Jeeezzzz!

Admin isn't just some guy on the forum. He works for Fractal & the post quoted indicates what you are seeing is normal. What else do you want???

Admin isn't just some guy on the forum. He works for Fractal & the post quoted indicates what you are seeing is normal. What else do you want???
I know who Matt is, trust me. I have been here since the beginning......Of course he knows what he is talking about.

Read my post #7. I said I will live with it and might get on the waitlist for another one! What is it you people do not get that to me, that seems like a high temp, period. end of story. I tried to end it..............twice!
I may be out of the loop these days but I am a retired tech. I still try to keep up with the times. Still build my own PC's , troubleshoot for family and friends.

The only post that bothered me was the one I replied to , with "snarkness, I guess" All the other replies were fine and helpful.
I have an opinion, so shoot me.

I had the same temps. as yours then I installed heat sinks on DSP and RAM:
1594256537734.jpeg

my temps at Room 76F/25C stay at:
1594256693377.jpeg

Be aware that the internal power supply adds quite a bit of heat to the unit regardless of your DSP usage.

Attachments

• 1594256641117.jpeg
    1594256641117.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Got a link to where one might purchase said heatsinks? That mod sounds like it's right up my alley.

I did this mod to stop the fan from kicking in in my usual room temperature with earlier firmware. It was not ideal since this DSP package is not designed to take the heat sink. It's plastic surface, you can only transfer so much heat from it. But nevertheless it worked for me. The fan would not activate in my usual room temps!

With the new firmware 1.05 Fractal took care of the fan issue. You don't need a mod like this anymore. The new firmware from Fractal changed the behaviour of the fan so it's trigger point is at higher temperature.

Enjoy your FM3, don't risk to fry yourself or the unit ;)

I did this mod to stop the fan from kicking in in my usual room temperature with earlier firmware. It was not ideal since this DSP package is not designed to take the heat sink. It's plastic surface, you can only transfer so much heat from it. But nevertheless it worked for me. The fan would not activate in my usual room temps!

With the new firmware 1.05 Fractal took care of the fan issue. You don't need a mod like this anymore. The new firmware from Fractal changed the behaviour of the fan so it's trigger point is at higher temperature.

Enjoy your FM3, don't risk to fry yourself or the unit ;)
What he said. The DSP is NOT designed for a heat sink and doesn't need one.

Back
Top Bottom