So I'm writing a second review...

Max_H

Inspired
...and it's because as I've mentioned a few times in various places that the only way I've been able to monitor my lovely Axe FX is through $20 skull candy headphones I bought from radioshack.

Today I had the pleasure of going to the Guitar Center in Albany to test out 12 different pairs of studio monitors. They have a pretty handy setup where I was able to plug into a switcher/mixer (switching mixer?) and very easily demo each pair.
SO, this was the first time I had heard my (note: any) Axe FX live and my good lord was it a treat. It was like I just received it new all over again. Playing an ambient delay heavy preset gave me chills.

Two separate employees there commented that the Axe FX sounds killer (and one of them wants to collab on RnB/rap beats), and I must agree. It was my favorite two hours with the Axe so far. So now I must get myself some monitors hahaha

Oh and by the way, out of the twelve I tested, two models stood out to me. The Yamaha HS8 and the M-Audio BX8 D2.
While the M-Audio seemed to have more clarity, the Yamaha sounded more "alive", whatever that means. I'll probably swing the way of the M-Audio simply because I can find a pair on ebay for $190.

In any case, this was just more confirmation that I made the right choice by getting an Axe FX.

Congrats, I must say though its pretty amazing you bought an axe fx, and only have skull candy headphones for any reason!

Congrats, I must say though its pretty amazing you bought an axe fx, and only have skull candy headphones for any reason!

I had some Sony Studio headphones but they unfortunately started crapping out a day before my Axe FX arrived, so I've made do hahaha

The first time I heard my Axe2 through huge calibrated studio monitors in a properly treated studio room: :eek:

That's like test-driving a Ferrari on a gravel road.

fuckin tell me about it haha.

Ya mon, same experience for me minus the trip to GC.

I would personally recommend the Yamaha HS8's, those monitors sound good with anything and are an industry baseline. Yay!

I have heard a LOT of good things about the HS8's. It'll all come down to a decision in the moment when i've got the dough to spend.

The first time I heard my Axe2 through huge calibrated studio monitors in a properly treated studio room: :eek:

Ooof, that's going to be a nice experience once I get there.

... the only way I've been able to monitor my lovely Axe FX is through $20 skull candy headphones ...

As much as I like the Skullcandy ear buds at their price point (I use them with my phone and sometimes with an MP3 player), they're not in the same league as a decent monitor.

... two models stood out to me. The Yamaha HS8 and the M-Audio BX8 D2. ...

I like both of those. I bought Mrs. TDD a pair of the M-Audios. I use a smaller set of the Yamahas as my computer monitors.

I did a bunch of A/B'ing of monitors a few years ago at our local GC and ended up with the Yamahas. There were things that I heard in songs that I have listened to for years that I had never heard before. They don't have tons of bass and they can actually be a bit fatiguing for some, but for what I was after they fit the bill perfectly.

You can find good deals on them if you look around. I think that I did some price matching with GC and Amazon or something and got them for almost 50% off.

I use the HS8's and I love em! I don't have much to compare them to other than headphones. They are pricey tho.

I was in Nice last month. I have to say it is a very beautiful city.
Thank you very much ! The mood is terrible because of july 14th events, but still a pleasant place :)
Still, I wish I lived in LA or Hawaii :D

On the fractal's facebook pages I see numerous questions that could be answered with "buy good monitors"

...and it's because as I've mentioned a few times in various places that the only way I've been able to monitor my lovely Axe FX is through $20 skull candy headphones I bought from radioshack.

Today I had the pleasure of going to the Guitar Center in Albany to test out 12 different pairs of studio monitors. They have a pretty handy setup where I was able to plug into a switcher/mixer (switching mixer?) and very easily demo each pair.
SO, this was the first time I had heard my (note: any) Axe FX live and my good lord was it a treat. It was like I just received it new all over again. Playing an ambient delay heavy preset gave me chills.

Two separate employees there commented that the Axe FX sounds killer (and one of them wants to collab on RnB/rap beats), and I must agree. It was my favorite two hours with the Axe so far. So now I must get myself some monitors hahaha

Oh and by the way, out of the twelve I tested, two models stood out to me. The Yamaha HS8 and the M-Audio BX8 D2.
While the M-Audio seemed to have more clarity, the Yamaha sounded more "alive", whatever that means. I'll probably swing the way of the M-Audio simply because I can find a pair on ebay for $190.

In any case, this was just more confirmation that I made the right choice by getting an Axe FX.

JBL LSR-805's are the best bang for the buck out there.

Back
Top Bottom