So i'm just a boomer tryin' to keep up

Korki

how do i make sure it is supported . . .so i can . . .save settings and keep using it . . . .SHOUTING INTO the VOID . . . i know no-one cares . . . i don't have any more money . . don't need anything better . . . .oh well

Do you think it's going to magically stop working because it's discontinued? What would be stopping you form using it & saving presets?

I'm guessing the only difference you'll experience is a slow down, or even halt of firmware upgrades. But I could even be wrong about this. Otherwise, just use it the way you have been. Beyond hardware failures, you should be able to use it as is for years.

I'm a bit younger than you, and I expect to use my AX8 until I physically cannot play the guitar anymore. I can't imagine needing anything more. As a matter of fact, I have a case of GAS right now, and some $$, and I keep searching for something I can buy that I need, and I keep coming up empty.

I use for gigging a 12+ year or more old Boss ME-50, works just fine. Purchased it for $50. Suspect Boss stopped supporting it in the early 2000s...

I loved my little ME-50 ... until it's internal battery died and I lost all my presets. I then changed to a Boss GX 700 which is still being used in my tube rig 20+ years later.

I'm sure your AX8 will be well supported and be playable for many years if you look after it.

How do you make sure "it" is supported? I guess the "it" is an AX8? Well you can't "make sure" ... either it is supported or not and there's nothing you can do about it. I haven't heard that end of support of AX8 users is upon us; Fractal simply isn't producing this product any more. And if they "stop supporting it"...that doesn't mean you can no longer use it. If you still like it, just use it. If it dies at some point...well...then you may have a problem. Rest assured that's likely to eventually happen to every other amp modeler you buy too.

How do you save settings? Have you read the fantastic manual? You save settings to the AX8 with the Store and Enter buttons. You save them to your computer by using the AX8 with the companion software, AX8-Edit, which is available for free. And you can do the analogous stuff with your firmware using Fractal-Bot midi utility.

I am also a boomer. I have a Super Reverb that was released 4 years after I was. Fender has never, in 55 years, sent me an update on it. In spite of their incredible lack of support for this long discontinued specimen, it still sounds great and makes good music.

Don't worry over it, just enjoy the technology and tones you can make with it. In boomer-speak, don't sweat it, man!

Back
Top Bottom