So I would love to hear from anybody using the Axe FX 3 OTHER than as a guitar processor?

Kamurah

Here is what got me started on this...
I have been enjoying the Axe as my main guitar processor for a while....but I was using it in a very simple way (guitar -> Axe FX 3 -> SPDIF out -> interface -> DAW). Well, I am mainly a synth player, and I just bought a little Mackie mixer for my synths. Well it has 2 send / return channels so I thought...hmm..wonder if I could use some of the extra inputs / outputs as sends for effects for the keys?

YES! Of course you can...and it works really well in this capacity too!

And THEN I started thinking...I wonder if I can use the AXE FX as a channel strip for my external mic pres ....YES again! Which is really cool because of the fact that the input channels already have noise gates. Add a comp and some effects and you are all set.

I know you all probably have been doing stuff like this all along...but it was pretty cool when I realized that I could have all these multiple effects chains running simultaneously. It really opened up the utility of this processor for me because I am not tied to the DAW for running realtime effects chains for more than guitars. I know the AXE doesn't have all the big name endorsements for the effects blocks like UA,....but the reverbs, delays, and modulation effects sound just fine to my ears...and of course the amp / cab models are MUCH better than the UA stuff in my opinion.

Just wondering what other cool uses am I missing? Anybody using this thing as more than just a guitar processor? :)

I have been doing this for awhile. I don't have plugins for a lot of the delays like the 2290 for my DAW, so I just send out the signal like reamping and record the delay on a separate track like we used to do in the old days. I find a lot of the effects blocks are really good and for some things is just easier to dial it in with Axe Fx III and record the return and blend it in. The only thing that matters to me is getting the tones fast.

I used to DJ/KJ with my Ultra and IIs and would run music and vocals though them. The various effects really allow you to do magic with vocals and I preferred it hands down over my VoiceLive (minus autotune lol) o_O

I use mine as my main Hi-Fi amp as well as for guitars/basses/home studio. Turntable, CD player, cassette tape (seriously, I still have one) and computer. I even have a preset set up to switch between them all. Swiss Army knife in 19" rack form!

Liam

I use mine to run my 2 slate mic pres into it and send that spdif to my DAW. I know it’s not glamorous, but it saved me from needing a patch bay.

Great replies! I definitely think Fractal should be expanding their marketing to a wider audience. Such a great tool for so many uses!

I haven’t done it yet because I haven’t started tracking/mixing keys, but I’ll DEFINITELY be running some synths through mine, especially for any distorted organ stuff. I’ve got an old Korg TR-1 rack unit that I‘ll be running directly into it.

I run my mic through the Axe-Fx for Zoom calls. I actually have some footswitches set up for special effects!
I also use my old Axe-Fx II on a rack of analog synths. It's heavenly.

Oh man...that would really break up the boredom in our zoom meetings!

I have two of the aux sends from my mixer going to channel 3 and 4 of the Axe. I use it as an outboard high quality reverb etc instead of using vsts as the quality is better and I don’t have to deal with latency from virtual effects.

Works as good or better than any other high end rack processors I’ve owned

Chapman Stick, electric cello, vox, and guitar -- all connected at once, but processed with different presets so I can switch from one to another in a live looping performance. Just have to use an outboard mic pre for the vox. Some presets have vox and guitar (or vox and stick) together. I use iOS apps for looping (Loopy HD) and robo drums (Lumbeat products).

I've used my Axe-FX III to capture output from Reaper in OBS. For whatever reason my Focusrite Clarett doesn't have loopback so the Axe saves me from some annoying routing workarounds.

I really hope that the Axe-FX III's capabilities expand beyond strictly guitar/bass uses. How many more amp models could we possibly need, anyway? We're getting a Klon pedal so what else could people want? (Other than the latest SLO clone that people lose their minds over)

I'd love for the III to one day do pitch-to-MIDI to control VSTI's and such.

Keep the great stuff coming. These are all inspiring. I spent some time today going through the specs of the newest Eventide flagship (H9000) as a comparison to the Axe. I know this isn't really fair, but overall the Axe did not compare too bad. Although the H9000 has additional I/O and networking options / expandability, it is limited to 4 FX chains of 4 Algorithms (so 16 algorithms total). I am pretty sure the Axe can load up 16 effects blocks in one preset. Of course the Eventide has over 9700 algorithms to choose from...but overall not a bad showing from the Axe considering the price of an H9000 with the front panel is $7000!

Last edited:
Chapman Stick, electric cello, vox, and guitar -- all connected at once, but processed with different presets so I can switch from one to another in a live looping performance. Just have to use an outboard mic pre for the vox. Some presets have vox and guitar (or vox and stick) together. I use iOS apps for looping (Loopy HD) and robo drums (Lumbeat products).
Wow.

Back
Top Bottom