So I quickly tried a Helix today...

AkakorMo

Inspired
Hello all,
As I stated in the title I got to QUICKLY try a Line6 Helix today on unofficial firmware. The feature set is cool. Some really nice routing and pedal set-up. The effects were quite good sounding. The modelling was underwhelming. An upgrade from the HD500? Yes. Leap into the pro market? No. Seemingly very sterile.

I want to stress I still have not made up my mind on this product yet. I will be taking one home when available to try out. Also, if they do some upgrades to the firmware, I want to hear them. The one thing I learned from this experience and the others due to my job is that I HATE MUSIC MARKETING!!! Ugh.

Let me guess:

"We have totally re-imagined the Helix from the ground up with innovative features never seen before. This is the game-changer that will transform your playing to unimaginable heights. It leaves those other products lacking in tone, features and looks!"

In all "seriousity", it must be hard to turn players excitement over new products into purchases and company loyalty. The functionality and feature set looks good to me. It should be attractive to many.

The Helix is marketed as a control center of sorts, with cool routing features, touch switches, and the screen of course. Which is cool.
Other than that, the rest is blah blah, to me anyway. The fact they didn't have any decent player, really demo it at Nammm, says it all, as far as amps/effects.
The probably had an axe-ii and a Kemper, in their lab and said, "I give up, just release the damn thing", lol.

Hello all,
As I stated in the title I got to QUICKLY try a Line6 Helix today on unofficial firmware. The feature set is cool. Some really nice routing and pedal set-up. The effects were quite good sounding. The modelling was underwhelming. An upgrade from the HD500? Yes. Leap into the pro market? No. Seemingly very sterile.

I want to stress I still have not made up my mind on this product yet. I will be taking one home when available to try out. Also, if they do some upgrades to the firmware, I want to hear them. The one thing I learned from this experience and the others due to my job is that I HATE MUSIC MARKETING!!! Ugh.
Are you talking about the unit with the ancient firmware (maintained for photo shoots) currently on loan to Musician's Friend?

Believe it or not but they want to sell these in more countries than just the USA. I work in a music store. Line 6 or a rep for them came in to show us and let us play it.It was so I could sell it to customers effectively. Wild.

images

I bet they do. Except you didn't play one.

I just returned from a business trip to New Zealand and Australia and actually saw one in a New Zealand "Rockshop". It was in the box so it honestly could have just been on display but we didn't have enough time to even ask as we were on lunch. With that said, I have no idea if the OP is telling the truth or not. I have stayed out of the Line 6 "potentials" vs. FAS debate as I am more than satisfied with the tool that suits my musical needs.

And cheers to M@ for recognizing and reiterating that FAS has committed their product design to the musical quality of a product not necessarily something that is just in Guitar Center to sell to the masses. We aren't the masses, we are the musicians revolutionizing the industry (he said with tears in his eyes :lol).

Thanks to the PM's basically calliing me a liar. Guess I should've taken a selfie with the Helix. I work at Long & McQuade in Calgary and it was brought to me.

This is why I deleted a thread awhile back about playing through a helix and possibly doing some recordings. I ended up getting some nasty comments and it was on the train straight to drama town. My friend works for line6 and they've been testing them "in the field" out here in LA. Said friend is also a gigging musician and Line6 has been loaning them out to their employees to use. Yes I have the pics to prove it. Yes I've heard it in person. Yes I have access to it. No I won't give a review.

Don't take it to heart. It's an internet guitar forum.

Last edited:
I believe the op ^^ But I don't give a damn about the helix, apart looking at the cool screens :)

I suspect there is a lot of upcoming discussion about Line6 in the Fractal Audio Systems forum.

A forum subsection dedicated to the competition would be a good way to avoid wasting precious FAS forum reading time.

Also a simple Google search would reveal plenty of Line 6's Helix forums and group discussions if someone feels so inclined to learn more about the newest shiny Pod!

Ps-I know everyone feels entitled to post their unsolicited opinions and will continue to do so because... the Internet and 'Murica

pps-A Mod with a quick finger on the "merge threads" function would be awesome!

Smileys for effect: :) :D :mrgreen

Thanks to the PM's basically calliing me a liar. Guess I should've taken a selfie with the Helix. I work at Long & McQuade in Calgary and it was brought to me.

PM which store plz, I would love to hear it in person.

Thanks!

+edit

I can bring my CLR's :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom