So I played through a Two Rock combo yesterday.....

Wouldn't you have to edit every single patch to do this?
You would if you intended to play every single patch. :)

Seriously, I don't understand your question. If you want to make a change, you have to edit a patch. If you want to change ten patches, you have to edit ten patches.

nope its not about being harsh, its about that amp/cab sound filling the room, pushing air...also its about how it feels when you hit the note...as we all know there is an interaction between the cab and guitar. maybe you can get it with stage monitors or frfr cab but it still sounds like a miced up cab(as intended)
again if its a big venue than anyway the amp gets lost and frfr is all good...its just a personal matter, on a smaller venue where you can hear the cab alot i prefer the real cab...and i tried most of the frfr options...and i still play and record daily frfr in my studio

i feel like if you're finding FRFR harsh you need to retweak your patches...

Last edited:
To the OP... I've played that same combo at AGH and it does indeed sound very good. They have a few more amps in there that are stand outs to me as well. I still have and use (although sparingly) a few amps (mostly vintage Fender amps).. but I can get just as good a tone, all things considered, with the Axe FX. I haven't tried the K12 or many other FR type cabs, but I found my experience playing through the Axe FX improved greatly when I got a pair of CLRs. Not sure if you might find an improvement yourself w/ the CLRs, but I think it's worth trying them.

If you're back down here in Austin again, feel free to hit me up via PM in advance and we can get together at my place and you can try the CLRs next to a few good amps and compare.

All that said, if you really dig that Two Rock then I would go for it and get one. I consider amps to be instruments just like guitars- hell some pedals are instruments in there own right, especially in the right hands. Life's short.. treat yourself.

Back in the 80's I had a line out installed on my Marshall head so I could go into a Rane mixer where my signal was then mixed with my Alesis Quadraverb. From there it went into an 800 watt power amp and then into 2 Marshall cabinets. It sounded incredible. From there it was mic'd and went to FOH and that's what the audience heard. (Except those poor folks standing in front of me near the stage).

In the studio I used a similar setup and although it sounded fantastic, it wasn't quite the same when I was standing in the control room hearing it through the monitors.

Jump forward 20+ years and I am loving the sound of my Marshall and Legacy heads cranked through a 2x12 cabinet but the high volume required to get the speaker excursion I needed to get the sound I wanted just isn't practical for my home studio. Along comes the Axe-FX and solves that issue with it's ability to get incredible sounds going direct to DAW.

I like the idea of hearing what my audience hears so along comes the CLR to my rig. Hmm..... sounds just like what I hear in my DAW.

If I wanted to get a different sound......, the sound of the "amp" blasting through a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet of my choice, the course of action would be too..... (Cliff says it so well)

Get an open back cabinet and a small power amp. Turn off cab modeling. Now you'll have amp in the room.

Build the rig according to your needs and it will deliver.

The Axe-FX can be used like an amp head if that's what you want. You just need to add a power section. Or you can use it in an FRFR application if you want that sound. They will both be different and you can't expect one to sound exactly like the other no more than you would expect the Two Rock to sound the same going through different cabinets or if it was mic'd and you were in the control room.

with G3, etc...i just don't feel like the direct tone is that far away from cab tones anymore. when my CLR is cranking on stage with my band i don't think "man, this would be so much better with a cab" i think "man, this sounds amazing". no caveats, no qualifiers. it just sounds amazing. not processed. great guitar tone.

with G3, etc...i just don't feel like the direct tone is that far away from cab tones anymore. when my CLR is cranking on stage with my band i don't think "man, this would be so much better with a cab" i think "man, this sounds amazing". no caveats, no qualifiers. it just sounds amazing. not processed. great guitar tone.

This is my experience too. It is so close to the "amp in the room" it is in no way a compromise. But the CLR's are a huge part of that for me. I play with other wedges besides the CLR's and they just can't deliver the amp in the room vibe.

(Edit: I'm not discounting anyone else that can't get the amp in the room vibe going. There are so many amp models and so many different experiences, approaches, styles, expectations etc. I can only speak for what I like and do and not proclaim anyone can get the amp in the room thing with CLR's.)

Last edited:
The moment when the AF2 gives me the same amount of sustain I have with the Pacosipulami Overdrive Amp (touch any note and you can resonate the string over two minutes in your hand, not just harmonic feedback, note resonating sustain - ask the german visitors of the axefest 2015, they all seen and heard it) over a FRFR cabinet, this would be the game changer for me. I adore the d-style sounds on the AF2, they are by far the best simulation available at the market, most detailled as I can tell. But there is still something regarding this specific tone which made playing my circuits in live situations.
I'm a guitarist who don't use an amplifier to amplify my playing only, I use it as an instrument. ;) Love to got all the dynamic variation in tone just in my fingers not touching the volume knob.....of corse I use it, but not were you would expect to hear it. Search the board for my patches and threads and you'll know why.... ;)

This tread seems perfectly timed with my current situation. I'm going to be babysitting a friends Morgan AC20 Deluxe for a few days while he is on vacation. I sold off all my tube amps in the past because I wasn't using them much after going digital. But every once in a while I start thinking I'm missing something, only to get or borrow an amp and find I very quickly miss my Axe. This is a pretty nice amp, I wonder if the outcome will be different this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom