So I picked up a REALLY interesting 5150 iii 50 watt

So after a little deliberation and talking it over with a guy I met through a gear exchange on FB and I decided it was too awesome an opportunity to pick up.

I snagged a prototype 5150 iii 50 watt that seems to be a one-off from the factory! It's been modified to more closely resemble the 100 watt Stealth, but with the specs of the 50 watt. So the green and blue still share the gain channel, but the amp was re-voiced. It's basically like a best-of-both worlds type of setup. Of course, the most awesome part of all this is that it has MIDI functionality, so I'm thinking it's going to end up working most excellently four-cable method style with the Axe-fx II, combining the powers of scenes and channel switching with my Ground Control Pro and some fancy MIDI routing.

I'm REALLY interested in how this will go because I got it at an absolutely stellar price point. I'm planning to swoop up some humbuster cables once I get it in and test it a few different ways. I've got a Fryette power station, so what I'm interested in doing is comparing it, attenuated and recorded direct, to the axe-fx II. I will, of course, post some examples. I will also try both live setups side by side with a mic on the ol' Mesa cab. So... be prepared!

Maybe not a one-off, but I reckon you can still consider yourself a member of a small, elite group.

Back
Top Bottom