so I need a midi 5 pin to USB cable to update my MFC-101???

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I don't have one, will the FW 6.0 upgrade mess up my MFC?
or is this a do them all or do none upgrade?

hmmmmmm, so i cant update my mfc with my cat5 (ethernet) cable only? As in MFC-->Cat5-->axe fx-->usb-->computer

I was talking about if you use a midi interface (which even today I read some people still use) If you use the ii as your interface then you only need one.

Kenny G the way the MFC was originally designed did not include the use of a ethernet cable the way we all use it today. All update for it must be done though midi.

Ok , but I don't currently have one will upgrading to 6.0 and Axe Edit mess anything up ( I can update the MFC later I guess)???

I don't have my ii infont of me. For some reason my first thought is no but it is easy to find out (assumeing you are using the ii as your interface) look at the midi out port of the ii. Is it a 5 or 7 pin port? Look at the midi in port of the MFC. Is it a 5 or 7 pin port? If both ports are 7 pin then yes you can use a 7pin to 7pin midi cable (do not use phantom power though, connect the ac adapter right to the MFC)

Will a 7 pin Midi cable work? I have one of those?

Is it possible to use the 7 pin midi cable? thats the one i have :(

NO and NO !! The 7-pin on the MFC is the MIDI OUT port.. it's bidirectional. However, the MFC update boot loader can only be triggered from the MIDI IN port of the MFC (not via CAT5 port either) and that is a 5-pin MIDI port. The 7-pin WILL NOT WORK!

NO and NO !! The 7-pin on the MFC is the MIDI OUT port.. it's bidirectional. However, the MFC update boot loader can only be triggered from the MIDI IN port of the MFC (not via CAT5 port either) and that is a 5-pin MIDI port. The 7-pin WILL NOT WORK!

That's odd, because this is exactly how I update the MFC firmware. I have the MFC MIDI out connected to the Axe Fx II with a 7 pin MIDI cable with the MFC power adapter plugged into the Axe for phantom power. I physically change nothing in my setup and I can update the firmware. I basically just hold down MFC footswitch #1 while turning on the Axe to get the MFC into firmware update mode and then use SysEx Librarian to send the firmware. (Oh, and on the Axe in the MIDI menu I set realtime sysex to none and USB adapter mode to on).

I even just checked by reinstalling the 1.04 MFC firmware to make sure I wasn't imagining things and it worked fine.

Is this not supposed to work? :)

I was talking about if you use a midi interface (which even today I read some people still use) If you use the ii as your interface then you only need one.

Kenny G the way the MFC was originally designed did not include the use of a ethernet cable the way we all use it today. All update for it must be done though midi.

I have used my midi interface and a single 5 pin every time. Not an issue.

That's odd, because this is exactly how I update the MFC firmware. I have the MFC MIDI out connected to the Axe Fx II with a 7 pin MIDI cable with the MFC power adapter plugged into the Axe for phantom power. I physically change nothing in my setup and I can update the firmware. I basically just hold down MFC footswitch #1 while turning on the Axe to get the MFC into firmware update mode and then use SysEx Librarian to send the firmware. (Oh, and on the Axe in the MIDI menu I set realtime sysex to none and USB adapter mode to on).

I even just checked by reinstalling the 1.04 MFC firmware to make sure I wasn't imagining things and it worked fine.

Is this not supposed to work? :)
I don't know if it's "supposed to" or not. Never heard of it having been tried like that. Over 5-pin MIDI THRU on Axe-II to MIDI IN on MFC for sure, but not over 7-pin like you. If you say it works, I'll take you word for it.
Will try to confirm it tonight (need to change my hookup config) but it will be late tonight before I can get to it.

If anyone else has time to confirm that the above approach works (before I do) please post results back here.
Thx

UPDATE: did not get a chance to test this out last night. Wifes birthday celebration(s) went a little longer than anticipated. Will try again tonight.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's "supposed to" or not. Never heard of it having been tried like that. Over 5-pin MIDI THRU on Axe-II to MIDI IN on MFC for sure, but not over 7-pin like you. If you say it works, I'll take you word for it.
Will try to confirm it tonight (need to change my hookup config) but it will be late tonight before I can get to it.

If anyone else has time to confirm that the above approach works (before I do) please post results back here.
Thx

Apparently, sometimes its good to not know you aren't supposed to do certain things!

Well, anyway I was also able to update from 1.04 to 2.01 with this setup.

Back
Top Bottom