So I got the dreaded "axe-fx name time out" message on my MFC-101 Mark I

LucasLeCompte

Experienced
It worked fine at practice last week, and this morning I turned it on because I wanted to shoot a demo and use my pedal. Im using an ethernet cable by the way. I tried a new cable and its still doing the same thing. The ethernet pins on my axe fx II mark II look fine. They arent bent. The pins in my MFC-101 look fine. Im not using a crossover cable either.

I got my MFC-101 a few months ago from a guy on here and he said the MFC had a clean bill of health from fractal.

It still changes patches fine, It just doesnt display any thing on the screen nor does the tuner work.

Things I have tried:

Made sure the MFC is set to the expansion port.

Tried another ethernet cable.

I cant try the MFC with midi because I didnt get a 9 volt PSU when I got my mfc. I may see if I have one around here I can use. I only have a 5 pin midi cable.

The tips on the ends of my ethernet cables are both fine. I work in IT so I know what a good tip looks like.

I have read the help manual on what to do when you get this error.

So being that I have tried all of these things, what else can I do besides sending my pedal and or axe fx II in to get fixed? I tried almost everything I could find on google and the forum before posting this too.

UPDATE: So I changed the axe fx mode on the MFC to none, and while It doesnt display anything, it changes the patches fine. So its basically working like a normal midi pedal would.

Last edited:
Off-topic, but I was getting this last night with my AX8 and AX8-Edit. I don't remember what the sequence was, or even how I got everything to finally work. It was really weird.

I have an XL+ and MK I MFC-101, and began experiencing this on one of the relatively recent firmwares. It was a Quantum, so no farther back than that.

I randomly reset the pedal by switching it to another mode and then back to XL+ Mode, then switch the Axe Fx to Faslink and none and then back to Ethercon. Eventually it goes back to working so I have to think it is something in the firmware compatibility. I need to reflash the MFC and see if that will fix anything.

We are not the only ones experiencing this, though. I have read of it elsewhere in the forum. Haven't seen a cure, but haven't searched it lately.

EDIT: I dragged the rig out today, before gig three of the weekend. I used the AX8 last night but need the XL+ today as I haven't moved all the presets I need yet. When connected, I got the same timeout error. I checked my connectors, which were fine. I connected via Faslink with an FAS adapter and short CAT5 cable and it fired right up. As I use a Vafam panel I inspected all connections and they looked good. Reconnected via CAT5 and all worked fine. Seems once it works, it works with anything. There is the off chance a bad connection was fixed in all the plugging/unplugging, but I doubt it as I have done that troubleshooting already without success.

Moral to story: I carry CAT5, a Faslink adapter and cables, and a power supply and 5 to 7 midi cable at all times. Better to have the means to fix than lament the unknown glitch. Until this is fixed, or the MK III becomes available again, I can still set up with confidence it'll work.

Last edited:
I had this issue in Q.204; after farting around (rather inexpertly) with the MFC, I believe I reset the foot controller and that seems to have "cured" it.

Haven't had a named time out since then. See if there is a way to "reset" the MFC ... I think that's what I did somehow on accident.

I had this issue in Q.204; after farting around (rather inexpertly) with the MFC, I believe I reset the foot controller and that seems to have "cured" it.

Haven't had a named time out since then. See if there is a way to "reset" the MFC ... I think that's what I did somehow on accident.
I reset my pedal but Havent been able to get it to work. I will update to the beta and see if that changes anything. mfc is on 3.08, which has been around for over a year.

UPDATE: tested my mfc 101 on my friends axe fx and it worked fine. His mfc wouldnt work on my axe fx II, so it has to be my axe's ethernet port. I will see about getting it fixed, but for now I will just try using 7 pin midi for my mfc. We even flashed firmware Q2.0 and it still had a timeout issue.

Last edited:
Seven years on I know, but my solution is as others have said, ensure Realtime Sysex send All is turned on and working correctly.

But also, if you've done an MFC reset (IAS 11 and turning on), then it's likely your MFC is on the wrong model. My Axe is a FX2 not XL, and the reset seems to default to the XL, which when corrected resumes normal service.

MFC 101 Is the Midi Timeout error fixable?..Need to sell and won't connect with Axe FX 11 Tried all the usual combinations ie new XLR, settings
..Can't edit on the MFC nd as good as dead with AXE FX2 ..It used to happen a few years ago the Midi Timeout error but turn system off and fine..Now it's permanently not communicating at all..

Back
Top Bottom