So I got my Matrix FR12...

So after having the FR12 for a week, I had a chance to use it in a rehearsal yesterday. First off, a much easier climb up the stairs. It's about half the weight of my FBT Verve 12ma. While the Verve sounds great when dialed into, I did have to use Global EQ adjustments to flatten it. That always made it a bit hard to dial in tones.

The Matrix sounded great with no adjustments. Tones I set up with my studio monitors and then tried at bedroom volume with the DSP switch engaged translated really well to gig volume. Pretty much only needed to turn down the treble on a few patches. Very punchy speaker that pushes more pants-flapping air than the Verve. I was mostly using Fender, Marshall, Vox and Mesa tones with the AXE-8 and they all sounded great.

My only issue is that it has side handles only and no easy way to attach a strap for one-handed carry. If anyone figured out an easy DYI fix for that, I am all ears. My thought is to put some hardware that you can affix a strap to in the carry handles but there is probably a better idea.

You would need something like a car bike rack strap - You need a strap like this with the curve buckle on both ends (although it may scrap up the finish beings it's not tolex)
http://www.delcity.net/curt?id=Towing-Accessories-CURT18050&r=IF3003&mkwid=ldGlGzmk&crid=11472933143

Thanx Lightingboy...I was looking at this but I would think that the leg would still interfere with the fin on the back. Have you tried this?

Perfect on the 10 and IIRC correctly was ok on the 12 as the top extension release contacts the cab and keeps the fins out of the way.

So I have to bitch and want to know what others think. I take great care of all my equipment and I try not to get bent out of shape with nicks and so forth as I know it happens.but.I noticed with the FR12 it seems every little knock or rub leaves white marks (nick in the finish)around the edges and markings on the corners(from my rack being on top). I have only moved this twice going to rehearsal. I can't imagine what this will look like when I start gigging out with it. As long as it keeps kickin ass I probably won't care too much what it looks like
Is anyone else seeing this?

So I have to bitch and want to know what others think. I take great care of all my equipment and I try not to get bent out of shape with nicks and so forth as I know it happens.but.I noticed with the FR12 it seems every little knock or rub leaves white marks (nick in the finish)around the edges and markings on the corners(from my rack being on top). I have only moved this twice going to rehearsal. I can't imagine what this will look like when I start gigging out with it. As long as it keeps kickin ass I probably won't care too much what it looks like
Is anyone else seeing this?

I am shopping for a padded cover for my new (to me) FR12 for this very reason. I appreciate the heads up mediaguy.

Let us know how you go finding a cover. My FR12 is landing on my doorstep this week and i will be wanting a cover, so I'll be keen to know what you end up getting

I am looking at Tuki, LeCover, D2F, and Studio Slips. It looks like a padded cover is in order since mediaguy reported his FR12 gets nicked pretty easy. It looks like most padded covers are about $75. The bottom strap looks like it will be a necessity. My FR12 will be here tomorrow and I'll be able to measure the side handle hole dimensions and get a quote.

Just got the Quik Lok AMS-BS-625 Amplifier Stand, Black
Stand is heavy and good quality. You can adjust the angle and height on the top. You can adjust height of legs but can't really adjust angle on bottom. Cab seems to fit on both top or bottom. I'm going to try mine on the bottom first as I would prefer my rack on top.
As you can see from the pic the rag has molded legs so you have to sit it just right to fit on the legs of the rack. I'm probably going to flip the rack over to resolve that issue.
Also removed rubber feet from FR12 as those were right in line with the bottom bars and caused it to tilt to much.
Here what my setup looks like:

Attachments

• cab stand.jpg
    cab stand.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 121
Great setup mediaguy! I purchased a Gator Frameworks stand. I got a quote from D2F of $75 for their cover, and am waiting for a reply from Lecover as well.

I got quotes from Lecover, Tuki and Studio Slips. All pretty much the same price. I decided to go with Studio Slips for the following reasons, I had to take the rubber feet of the FR12 to fit properly on the stand. For that reason I decided I wanted a fully enclosed case. I wanted a zipper and not Velcro. Lecover does not offer the zipper option. The reason I decided Studio Slips over Tuki was I found the information on the website to be more understanding and I had a better idea of what I was getting, as far as type of handles, enclosures, etc. I'll post pics when it arrives.

I received my FR12 Monday and it's fantastic. The DSP setting really makes a big difference in the sound depending on your environment. I like that the cabinet is made out of wood instead of polypropylene. I hope it doesn't get too hot because the metal bar on my Gator Frameworks stand runs right across the cooling fins. It's quite an achievement to make a cab this size so light and at a reasonable price. I am looking forward to playing a long time with the FR12.

Here is the review I posted in the other thread:

After refreshing the Matrix Aus website ten times a day for 2 weeks, I finally got the chance to nab an FR12, good thing I did because they were all gone within a couple of hours. It arrived in 5 days which is incredible for something coming from the US to Aus, but before I go on, a little background. Up to now I have been playing my Axe FX2 through an Atomic Reactor FR50 powered cab, the one with the tubes, which was the cabinet of choice back in 2010 when I first bough an Ultra and later upgraded to the Axe FX2. All of my presets have been made and tweaked over the 6 years through that cab. I know the Reactor cabs aren't thought of all that highly these days but it always worked for me and was plenty loud enough to use for outdoor gigs or pretty much any application, yet I always had a suspicion that it was the weak link in my tone chain. I had been wanting a CLR for a long time but the price here in Aus for a CLR is prohibitive, so about a month ago I began looking at alternatives, which is when the Matrix FR's came to my attention.

It seemed too good to be true, a powered FRFR cabinet, half the weight of my Reactor, with a Neodymium speaker, at less than 1,000 AUD ($700 less than the CLR and less than half the price of the CLR Neo). How good could it be? The reviews are few but very, very positive so it gave me the courage to jump in and I am really, really glad that I did.

At first, presets that I had tweaked to what I thought was perfection sounded flat and lifeless through the FR12, which worried me, but I knew the speaker would need a few hours of high volume playing to really loosen up and reflect the full range of frequencies. So I persevered, and now after approx 4 hours of high volume playing, it is sounding amazing! I have had to adjust almost all of my presets, mostly to add low end and reduce the mids, which I think confirms what i always thought about the Reactor, that it was heavy on the bass and just a fraction scooped in the mids.

The FR12 just sounds so even across the tonal spectrum. The low end is very natural sounding and restrained, doesn't get woofy or flubby when cranked, but you can feel it. Just perfect I would say. The highs are smooth, no harshness. Cleans sound very alive and vibrant and my dirty tones have a more natural sound minus the sometimes raspy quality that they had with the Reactor. I'm pretty sure the Reactor did add a bit of it's own distortion/break up to all of my tones which i guess I just adjusted to without thinking about it, so consequently I have needed to up the gain a little on quite a few of my dirty tones. Everything sounds so much better now, I didn't realise what I was missing for the last few years with the Reactor.

I can't believe how light it is, I can carry it with one hand, no problems, and I'm a weakling. The DSP functions are excellent, I particularly love mode 2 that adjusts for low volume playing, what a brilliant innovation.Still can't believe it was less than 1,000 AUD.

Sorry for the long, rambling review, but given the lack of info out there I hope this will be helpful to others.

It does run hot as well. Apparently that is normal though.
Reason it's getting so hot is that it's a class AB power amplifier, not class D. Class AB efficiency is from 50% to 70% depending upon the design. So (simplistically speaking) if it is putting out 200 W of audio power, and the circuit runs at 50%, then the amp is actually consuming 400 W and dissipating the other 200W as heat. And since it uses passive cooling, even a large heatsink will become very warm. Class D is around 90% efficient, so the majority of the power is used for the audio signal and is not wasted as heat. But I find the tonality of a class AB amplifier to be smoother and warmer than a class D (pun intended).

Also, there is a factor called thermal resistance of a heatsink, which basically tells you how much the heatsink temperature rises for every watt you put in, anyway I don't know what it is for the heatsink used (which looks pretty danged substantial!), but it's gotta be quite a bit less than one, or you could be burned touching the heatsink after playing at high power levels. F**king hot indeed!

Anyway, that being said, I think I'm probably going to jump in and buy an FR10. Looks like a good fit for me. I'll just have to be careful after a gig. Be nice if it had two channel mixer built in, but you can't have everything, I guess.

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum, lots of good stuff on here!

A question about the Matrix FR10/12. I have just bought an FR12 and am really impressed with the sound quality - lovely flat uncoloured sound. I have a problem with a low level hissing, which is present as soon as I turn the unit on. With no input, volume on the unit turned down, it is always present. This is the second unit that I have had, both have had the same issue.

Have any of you guys experienced the same thing? It's a bit annoying when I am feeding the amp with a lovely clean digital sound, and there is a background noise. The guys at Matrix have been really helpful, and have said that the second unit has had the DSP firmware updated which significantly reduces hiss at lower levels. I really can't tell the difference, it sounds exactly the same as the original one!

I really love the amp, but I'm not sure that I can live with the hiss.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Paul.

Could be some ground or RF interference. Have you tried other outlets? Tried using a power surge? Tried ground lift?

I've tried it in another outlet, and also with a power conditioner. It doesn't sound like an AC issue. It definitely sounds like it's being generated by the amp module. I'm sure that I can't be the only one who is experiencing this problem.

Back
Top Bottom