So I got my first Tele today...

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
... and I'm quite speechless but luckily I know how to write with bad grammar.

I've noticed that the Tele is a guitar that's somewhat "in" nowadays. I see them everywhere, even some metal bands have these single coil guitars so I had to try these out. :eek: <--- That's my expression... something died inside me. What? A guitar with no humbuckers and I kinda prefer it. I feel like I just heard there's no Santa. BUT THERE IS! He must've created this tele. :lol: Seriously: I've been trying to find an amp that cuts without being harsh on the ears and now that I have the tele, every amp cuts better than any humbucker tone I've ever had. I advice you people to try these out!

I don't even have my Axe-Fx here at home but I'm trying other modelers and now I suddenly like them. (?) This is a clip with ReValver and Redwirez Mesa SM57 Cone 1in. Improvised sloppy wankery: http://www.mediafire.com/?ejg4yoyymor

What surprises me most is that this guitar has plenty of low end that's tight while humbuckers... well "hum" in the low register. Still I wouldn't play brootalz with this but I don't do that anyways so.

The guitar is NOT Fender. It's got Seymour Duncan pickups and it was 800€ in the store which makes this my cheapest guitar.

Yeah, I picked up a thinline tele (with HBs though) before I started playing heavier things, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it works. I even use it for the brewtalz ;)

Teles are fun. I pulled mine out for a rehearsal last week and it put a smile on my face. In a loud rock context, they really work nicely. Mine is cheap as well (although a lot cheaper than yours), but it just works. I was actually thinking about bringing it out for a few gigs this week. We'll see, I'm really into the Gretsch right now too. Before the Axe-FX, I only had two guitars (and one was just for backup purposes). I could have never really used a tele before.

D

Among my guitars my Tele has the most character. It's made by Haar. The Tele bodyshape is my favorite shape by far.

There's a Suhr SC at the neck, and a Suhr HB at the bridge (I know, it's almost blasphemy to put a HB in a Tele).

It's a raw, honest and pure tone. The Tele is kind of a one trick pony, not very flexible tonewise, but it has attitude.

yek said:
Among my guitars my Tele has the most character. It's made by Haar. The Tele bodyshape is my favorite shape by far.

There's a Suhr SC at the neck, and a Suhr HB at the bridge (I know, it's almost blasphemy to put a HB in a Tele).

It's a raw, honest and pure tone. The Tele is kind of a one trick pony, not very flexible tonewise, but it has attitude.

I like PRS Custom series bodyshape the most. I hate just about all Ibanez guitar's bodyshapes and strat too but the tele is really cool looking. "Sleek"... is that a word? :)

A humbucker in a tele sure is blasphemy! :) At first I fell in love with the neck pickup and how smooth it sounds but the middle position is the signature tele sound and I really like the bridge pickup since it's very tight. I wouldn't know how a H-S or S-H sounds in a tele though.

yek said:
The Tele is kind of a one trick pony, not very flexible tonewise, but it has attitude.
:eek: :shock: Oh, how I beg to disagree. Simply changing where one strikes with the pick gives one a whole spectrum of tonality, without even a pickup change! Of course, I'm not a brewtulz player, I guess it IS possible to bury the Tele's character in sludge...

The Tele's been my go-to guitar for years. No one trick pony at all: it does country, blues, rock, jazz, pop, even clean/classical with authority and ease.

I like the character of the guitar that shines through these tones, while my humbucker guitar sounds plain by comparison. I've changed the p'ups for hum cancelling types, but still single coil styles. Neck is a Kinman - sounds identical to the original without the hum. Bridge is a slightly hotter than stock DiMarzio (some model they don't make any more), bit more lows, bit less highs. Added a mid p'up as well for quack tones on a 5-way selector that still gives neck+bridge in the centre position.

Of the Fenders, the Teles, and the Jaguars are the only ones I don't hate.

I play them in the stores and often think of taking one home.

I'm no "brootalz" guy either, but I do play some prog-metal every now and then, and I could easily see a Tele in that kind of environment. Why not? Jimi Page uses them, and he's as Humbucker as it gets.

And I ask myself, "What Would Jimi (Page) Use?" :lol:

Greatest guitar of all time!

As to them being one trick ponies :shock: :?: they are the opposite - probably the most versatile guitar of all. Try playing with the volume and tone knobs - twang, spank, les paul fat, dark and jazzy, SRV stratty (with the right neck pickup) - it's all in there.

Hehe, I clearly used the wrong term here. :mrgreen:
What I meant that my Tele always sounds as my Tele. It isn't as hybrid (?) as my Strat or Suhr for example.

Back the 'not a one trick pony' bus up a bit fellas... yek didn't actually say that if you read his post correctly ;)

I had a mexi-tele for a while. Loved the sound it made - very characterful that's for sure

Actually, two of my favourite guitars at the moment are an Edwards relic Tele, and an Edwards relic Les Paul. Both quite cheap which I bought in Japan. Excellent build quality, setup and pickups (Seymour Duncans).

These guitars are more fun to play than my Suhrs (Standard and Pro II), Vigier SL model and PRS Custom 22!

They just seem to have much more character, especially the Tele... :D Was trying to find an Edwards SG the other week when I was over there, but couldn't. Anyway, my wife has banned me from buying more guitars. :(

All my "metal oriented" friends seemed to think that a Tele is more of a poprock guitar and it couldn't handle that beefy metal tone etc. Well I'm going to prove them wrong now. Here's me playing my Tele through Recto New and German cab. Just a single coil bridge pickup.

http://www.mediafire.com/?omdn24mkmoj

Just to be clear, this is single tracked and not post processed at all... just how the Axe-Fx sounds. In a mixing point of view most humbuckers low end is at 125hz and it's boomy. This tele puts out clear material down to 80hz! I guess I'm in luuuv. This guitar isn't boomy anywhere through the spectrum.

Could this pass as a humbucker tone?

Clark Kent said:
All my "metal oriented" friends seemed to think that a Tele is more of a poprock guitar and it couldn't handle that beefy metal tone etc.
Have these guys listen to anything metal that involves John5, then show them his signature Tele.

That is the most metal Tele I've ever seen!!!
J5Tele.jpg

He has several, but this one is my favorite!!!

single coils nevere convinced me, no metter how "worked out" they were. they remained what they are. my point is that when people try to get out of these guitars something they are not ment to be, the result is more on the edge. the tone, the last one was good, very good, but definitively not what you showed in your other clips.

it is just another cake :)

but it is tasty

But surely there's a difference in a tele and a tele that has humbuckers in it. I mean... that's really just someone who likes how a tele looks but not how it sounds. The other guitarist in Slipknot also has a tele with humbuckers. My point was the fact that single coils seem to work well with the Recto like in this last clip. The first clip I made... well it wasn't even Axe-Fx. :)

Back
Top Bottom