So I got my Axe FX today... questions.

KsE fan

Inspired
Alright my setup is:
Axe FX Standard
Carvin DCM1000L Power Amp
Mesa 4x12 traditional rectifier Cabinet.

The Mesa 412 is 8 ohms mono in rated at 280 watts.
The Carvin DCM1000L specs are as follows
BRIDGED RMS continuous
- 8 ohms bridged: 650 watts
- 4 ohms bridged: 1000 watts

So in my case I'm using the 650 watts.

Here's how I've got it hooked up.
Balanced OUTPUT 1 Left from Axe FX to the left balanced input on the poweramp.
Poweramp "bridged" button pushed in
unbalanced 1/4 from the "bridged only" output on the carvin dcm1000l to my mesa cabinet.

Pictures:
28lxma8.jpg

turned out bad but what you see is the unbalanced left on the axe fx (above) going to the input on the left side of the bottom unit (the dcm1000L) then if you look at the 3 green outputs on the dcm1000l the center one is the "bridged only" which I've got an unbalanced speaker cable in that going straight to my mesa 412.

So here's how it looks via pictures:
axe fx:
3166b1k.jpg

to:
rba6gg.jpg

then this next photo is the speaker cable out:
1zb5s8o.jpg

going to my cabinet:
2ztm0ed.jpg

Is this all set up correct?

Your recto cab should let u run 4 ohms stereo so you could go l and r out of axe into l anns r of amp and then l and r into the cab that's how I ran mine and it sounded great

send from Droid

well for me there'd be no difference really because I'm using everything in mono with the axe fx... no stereo sounds... I'm just confused at all the settings on this... it's more overwhelming then I already thought it would be.... I took a patch, shunted everything than just went TS808OD - Peavey 5105 (my setup before the axe fx) and just tweaked with it for a bit and it just sounds bad... like somethings wrong bad...

Cab sims off ?

and yes, if you are going in thru front jack, only the left LED level is active. Normal behavior.

Looks right to me. Might want to turn up the output knob on your Axe-Fx a bit, though. Looks like it's all the way down.

lol... very funny.. ive got the proper stuff in terms of power amp sims on, cabs off... i went through the stock presets and found a few nice clean tones... very good, but haven't been able to get anywhere NEAR a good distortion tone

im also getting a sound out of the unit with my guitars volume all the way down, and the output knob all the way off that sounds like im very close to a tv that is turned on... not a ground thing i already tried to switch the ground buttons and it makes it worse.... any thoughts? if i reset the axe fx do i lose firmware 11.0?

A system reset does not affect firmware, but reverts all system settings - I/O, Utility, Global - back to factory defaults. It does not affect stored presets.

Try setting the gate ration to 2.63 and see if that cures it...

Last edited:
In the amp block, go to advanced and try turning the sag all the way down. this disables the power amp sims.
GL.

why would I want to disable the power amp sims? I'm using a PA power amp and everyone's told me to keep them on... I've made some half decent clean patches... sounds like I can hear my fret buzz through the amp (i hope it's fret buzz!) but the distortion tones are god awful!

in the IO it's set to analog front, then when i go to the audio page it's
input 1 select: L+R sum
input 2 select: left only
output 1 mode: stereo
output 1 and 2 phase: normal
copy out 1 to out 2: off

This won't really change the tone but you'd probably want input 1 select to be left only. Otherwise extra noise from In 1R is being added to the signal.

You don't have the amp block bypassed do you? When you say god awful, what do you mean?

no? im just not used to having to touch all these settings... used to bangin out the gain, bass mid treble, throwing a tube screamer in front and ruling the world... i just now copied chris brodericks medadeth rhythm patch onto my axe fx...copied ALL of his settings... even though he uses different pickups but it sounds... decent. :)

Back
Top Bottom