So i found a beat up original 1974 stratocaster in my closet needs work..

Graphtech makes good nuts, but precut slots will likely require additional filing. It'll be a rare coincidence if the slots are cut to the right depth for your guitar.

If the radius matches, you can sand the bottom of the nut to bring the nut slots closer to the fret board. Otherwise, yes you will need to adjust the slots to the correct radius and depth. Still much faster easier than starting with a nut blank.

Thanks. It's definitely going to need a new finish on the body - much of the 'yellow duck' finish is still OK, but there are places where the acrylic? finish and paint are breaking off, exposing the wood. Would you re-finish the guitar or clean it up as is, and what of the exposed wood - should that be painted at least? If i try to refinish, I'm thinking about getting a oil paints artist friend to paint the body using acrylics... or have it refinished by a pro, but i imagine that costs a lot...

If the finish is flaking off in places, it's probably not stable and would likely need to be removed and refinished. If you wipe over the bare parts with a damp cloth, does the wood darken? If it doesn't at all, the sealer coat is still intact and the wood is still being protected.

If the radius matches, you can sand the bottom of the nut to bring the nut slots closer to the fret board. Otherwise, yes you will need to adjust the slots to the correct radius and depth. Still much faster easier than starting with a nut blank.
Yes, definitely easier than starting with a blank nut. But I still say, "Learn about sharp tools on a guitar you don't mind ruining." :eek:

Just removing the old nut can be disastrous the first time out. Knives and hammers are involved.

I had a bone nut installed on my Strat.

In my experience, a good luthier can make a bone nut that will not bind the strings at all.

I use the stock vintage trem on my Strat all the time and it stays in tune great.

I like the sound of real single coils in a Strat for cleanish Strat tones.
Those Fishman Fluence loaded pickguards look tempting with their very different design and claims - has anyone tried these things?
They claim to offer classic tone with no noise, and some are saying they come close.

Last edited:
+1 on the Fluence Strat Pick ups! One of my biggest pet peeves is 60 cycle hum on strats. These fishman pick ups have no hum and sound awesome! The Tele Greg Koch verision are in my sights!

+1 on the Fluence Strat Pick ups! One of my biggest pet peeves is 60 cycle hum on strats. These fishman pick ups have no hum and sound awesome! The Tele Greg Koch verision are in my sights!
Git those Gristle-tones NOW. I put em on a Custom Shop 60s relic, and my luthier said it was the best sounding upgrade he had done yet.

Thanks. It's definitely going to need a new finish on the body - much of the 'yellow duck' finish is still OK, but there are places where the acrylic? finish and paint are breaking off, exposing the wood. Would you re-finish the guitar or clean it up as is, and what of the exposed wood - should that be painted at least? If i try to refinish, I'm thinking about getting a oil paints artist friend to paint the body using acrylics... or have it refinished by a pro, but i imagine that costs a lot...

I'd leave them as what they really are, honest battle scars. Real actual guitars that were used should have some scars. They should tell a story. Your story. You should be able to explain each and every one of them. As opposed to all that fake relicing that's being inflicted on perfectly good guitars. They're the fake news of guitars. Those guitars remind me of that scene in Slum Dog Millionaire, where unscrupulous men ruin the eyes of children to make them blind so they can be more successful beggars.

I'd fill the extra routs, refinish and sell it, probably make a decent bit of coin. But then I'm not a Fender Strat guy (particularly CBS era)...

I went the route of the fat 50's neck , 69 middle and ssl5 bridge (Gilmour loaded ) , because it was EASY to get a loaded pick guard. It sounds as good as I could ask for. In my studio , there's no noise or humm from the guitar - at all.

BUT , I haven't used this guitar to play any gigs yet. I was talking to a fellow at a music store yesterday who was telling me how he was playing a club a while ago , and wanted to play his strat....., Plugged it in and it was BUZZ.....HUMM , from the lousy wiring at the venue. This has me concerned , as I really want to use my strat in March for a show. I'm not apposed to changing them out for the noiseless alternatives , but these sound fantastic.
Does anyone travel with some kind of conditioner ; specifically for their strat , for playing clubs or venues that may have a problematic power supply ?

Does anyone travel with some kind of conditioner ; specifically for their strat , for playing clubs or venues that may have a problematic power supply ?
That kind of noise is more likely to be caused by your guitar picking up radiated interference from things like that neon beer sign in the corner. Dirty power usually isn't the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Now looking for opinions on continuing...
So i have discovered that the tuners are dust inside (presumably) as they turn freely but the shaft does not turn anymore, on all of them!
Also that the neck is a bit wobbly, and although '74 strats are notorious for neck wobble, it isn't subtle, and i also noticed that the stripped back paint in places is most likely due to moisture. There are some very cool Strats and Strat copies out there, for only a few more hundred than it would cost me to restore the '74, so should i attempt a restore, or just get a new guitar... what would you do?

Actually it looks like maybe i was wrong about the tuners - they all turn the shaft, but it seemed like the strings were not the strings were just not tensioning or loosening before i removed them. Still i'm wondering if it might be less expensive, and better feel/sound, to get a nice new LTD strat (SN) or something like it. What do you think?

...i'm wondering if it might be less expensive, and better feel/sound, to get a nice new LTD strat (SN) or something like it. What do you think?
I wouldn't want to make that call without the guitar in my hands. There are too many unknowns.

Back
Top Bottom