So I finally was able to get Atomic CLRs from Craigslist...

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Holy smokes! These are great sounding units.

If you are looking to replicate your in studio monitoring experience in a more rugged package, these are worth getting.

They move a lot of air. They remind my favorably of UREI 813 monitors except that they are a lot lighter and they are on a bit of a bass diet since the CLRs don't have the UREI's 15 subs.

Are they the same experience as a 4x12 blazing away at your calves in a an average club, rehearsal hall, or living room of your home? No!

They don't have the same cabinet volume to push air in the same way and they are much a bit "beamy" than a 4x12, at least more so than my 4x12. It's difficult to escape those aspects of physics.

Are they the same experience as having your miked up 4x12 coming through the studio board and blazing away at you through good monitoring? Depending upon the monitoring you are used to using, that could be a hell yeah!

The stereo imaging is really nice.

If you are looking to replicate your in studio monitoring experience in a more rugged package, these are worth getting.
Are they really more rugged? I've rarely seen a picture of a used CLR that didn't have dents and finish flaking off... That was always my concern with something that was a bit high on the cost scale.

I have given up hope on them and actually ordered a pair of the EV PXM 12MP coaxial monitors last night based on good feedback from several threads here. We'll see if they replace my Matrix GT800FX and passive Xitone wedges or not...

Anyway, glad you found some and it sounds like they are living up to the legend!

The CLRs are the best sounding speakers I've ever had for live sound reinforcement in their category. Certainly if you have the coin, there are other options, but for hundreds of $ more, or even double the cost.

A pro audio sales rep friend who does large venue installs listened to me demo my AxeFxII through a CLR and he was extremely impressed by both. The fact that he bought the CLR when he has dealer cost on all major brands of high-end FRFR speakers says a lot.

Yes, care needs to be taken with the finish, so for gigging get a clamshell (padded) cover.

Are they really more rugged? I've rarely seen a picture of a used CLR that didn't have dents and finish flaking off... That was always my concern with something that was a bit high on the cost scale.

I have given up hope on them and actually ordered a pair of the EV PXM 12MP coaxial monitors last night based on good feedback from several threads here. We'll see if they replace my Matrix GT800FX and passive Xitone wedges or not...

Anyway, glad you found some and it sounds like they are living up to the legend!
Well they are certainly more rugged than getting a pair of Genelec or Adam monitors for gigging usage.

Don't you agree?

The EV monitors, JBLs, or Headrush monitors are less flat than the CLRs

The EV monitors, JBLs, or Headrush monitors are less flat than the CLRs
Is this based on published specs, or...?

I had two CLR's at the same time, a Neo and one of the originals, and they sounded different from one another. And I didn't get along with either one of them. And unless I was 20' away from them or more, they really didn't sound much like my studio monitors. IDK why I didn't like mine, but the PXM's are fine for me.

Well they are certainly more rugged than getting a pair of Genelec or Adam monitors for gigging usage.

Don't you agree?
Yeah... I figured that's what you meant.

From a stage monitor perspective they are less rugged - especially compared to something like Xitone, which could probably withstand being hit by a truck.

Compared to a studio reference monitor, yes they're most likely more rugged. They at least have protection for the speakers.

I have one of the older non-wedge CLRs that is covered in Tolex.
I like that fit and finish much better than my CLR wedge.

The paint on the wedges is 'thin', and would greatly benefit from a few layers of Duratex (which is simple enough to do).
Refinishing a speaker cabinet is really really easy and not expensive for the supplies. (if that was one's only reason to not buy a CLR).

And yes @dr bonkers - the CLRs are really an amazing sounding box.

I asked about using truck bed liner spray on my CLRs and Jay Mitchell just replied, "Don't." That was before I knew about DuraTex. I ordered a gallon for the F12-X200 cabs I'm building. I wonder what he would say about using that? I'll go ask. I'll report back if he answers.

I asked about using truck bed liner spray on my CLRs and Jay Mitchell just replied, "Don't." That was before I knew about DuraTex. I ordered a gallon for the F12-X200 cabs I'm building. I wonder what he would say about using that? I'll go ask. I'll report back if he answers.
Yeah, Jay pretty much despises me and that's OK.

Not everyone will like any given person in life.

I won't be asking Jay questions any time soon.

I have given up hope on them and actually ordered a pair of the EV PXM 12MP coaxial monitors last night based on good feedback from several threads here.
I'm still very happy with my pair. I had Studio Slips make covers for mine because they live in the garage when I don't have them out for playing, and Arizona is notoriously dusty so they'd look like they'd weathered a dust storm in no time.

Back
Top Bottom