So I Finally Tried Out the Citrus - YUMMY!!!!

Josh O

I gave the Citrus model a whirl finally last night and I'm in love. Not that I've owned an Orange amp before, I had something kind of similar when I had a Matamp 1224 a few years ago, to compare to but hot damn I love it. Flipped to the neck position on my JP, rolled the tone all the way off and I could see I was already heading towards stoner rock heaven. Gotta hit it with the Pi fuzz block!

Funny. I just spent an hour playing with Raca's patch on the axechange. It is such a cool amp. I've never owned one or even considered trying one out but now I love it. Correction. I guess I do own one or at least the sound of one since I have an Ultra.

Ed

I love the Citrus - it is one of my go-to crunch amps.

Have you guys found a "sweet spot" for the master volume? I run mine between 4-6.

The Orange Rockerverb was my main amp for everything a couple of years ago. (Praise and worship too) It LOVES Teles! Just about the best combo of guitar/amp out there. IMHO

Sold it a few months after the Axe-FX arrived. I was constantly petitioning for it to be added to the Axe-FX amp arsenal. I actually got the HiWatt sim to sound pretty close to my Rockerverb initially. Cliff updated that sim around 6.0 and it changed that. Having the Rockerverb in there now makes me smile big time. :D

Gonna go play it now...

-rob

I have a patch with two amps in it, the Orange (citrus RV50) and the Laney (UK GC 30)...wonderful complex chewy gritty tone.

orangenoise said:
The Orange Rockerverb was my main amp for everything a couple of years ago. (Praise and worship too) It LOVES Teles! Just about the best combo of guitar/amp out there. IMHO

Sold it a few months after the Axe-FX arrived. I was constantly petitioning for it to be added to the Axe-FX amp arsenal. I actually got the HiWatt sim to sound pretty close to my Rockerverb initially. Cliff updated that sim around 6.0 and it changed that. Having the Rockerverb in there now makes me smile big time. :D

Gonna go play it now...

-rob

I cant make the citrus work for me. Tips?

yek said:
orangenoise said:

Gonna go play it now...

-rob

The Orange is a dark amp so... if you're not going for a darkish tone, use a bright guitar (thus the tele reference)... keep the master around 5 or 6 and the drive as low as you can go and still have a good sustain (I've got mine set around 3). The tone controls work; but not as overtly as some amps. I turn the mids up to around 7 and leave the bass and treble alone. Haven't needed to touch any of the other controls. Also a bright cab helps, if needed. I use Redwirez a AC30 cab in parallel with the 4x12 20watt internal cab.

Good luck...

-rob

orangenoise said:
yek said:
orangenoise said:

Gonna go play it now...

-rob

The Orange is a dark amp so... if you're not going for a darkish tone, use a bright guitar (thus the tele reference)... keep the master around 5 or 6 and the drive as low as you can go and still have a good sustain (I've got mine set around 3). The tone controls work; but not as overtly as some amps. I turn the mids up to around 7 and leave the bass and treble alone. Haven't needed to touch any of the other controls. Also a bright cab helps, if needed. I use Redwirez a AC30 cab in parallel with the 4x12 20watt internal cab.

Good luck...

-rob

Thanks, I'll try that.

Scott Peterson said:
I love the Orange amp. One of my go-to amps for rootsy rock and P&W (strangely enough).
Odd I have been thinking the same. I think I could use the Orange in a PW aspect. IE: I am really thinking I would love it on Revelation Song.
I haven't played with it, the Marshas or the Shivas. Autoload was wacked on the LFP, and that really put the damper on playing with things. What time I can play, experiment, etc is related to impacts on my live performances. Not being to autoload the LFP put me on sort of a hiatus in exploring the AXE more.

Bumping for all the Gen1 lovers out there. I haven't really tried this sim but I really want to this weekend after reading this. Sometimes old can be new!! ;)

I would have to go back and try it again. I remember liking the basic tone of that model, but finding that it didn't clean up well with the volume knob. I never messed with it much because it didn't clean up. My memory is fuzzy though, I could be remembering a different model.

D

Back
Top Bottom