So I did something stupid today...

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
After spending some lovely time with FW18, I went to practice on Thursday with an incredibly awesome sounding Plexi 100 preset as one of our songs needed a really nice fat distortion. I got so many compliments during and after practice, from band members - to sound guys - to general people in the same building, everyone loved how fat and meaty my sound was. It all felt so good!

This morning, we played live and opened with the song that needed this patch, my IEMs we set to pretty low so I couldn't quite hear my guitar very well, but I felt confident that I was coming out of the PA with the full meatiness that I was getting on Thursday.... until we were finishing the last verse of the song and I looked down at my expression pedal (setup as wah) only to realise it was fully tilted forward - meaning my wah had been activated the whole time during the song with the toe down!

The sound guy asked me afterwards what was wrong with my sound, and I told him I had been an idiot so we had a good laugh about it afterwards. Just annoyed I let that happen to me in the first place.

So my question here is, is there a way to set some sort of indicator light on the expression pedal to show that it is activated (or has activated a block)? I made a mod on my CryBaby wah by adding an LED (for the same reason as this), and it saved me a few times. The problem I guess would be that if you have an indicator light on the pedal, there will be issues with keeping that in sync with what is actually activated on the Axe-Fx.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and come up with a good solution to it (apart from telling me to stop being a right numpty of course)? :)

Haha, Chuc!

I know the Mission Engineering pedals can be ordered and/or retrofitted with a led light indicator. I've never seen one in person but I think the "mod" shouldn't be too complicated.

Been using an hd500 for MIDI over here. The red & green lights tell me which expression I'm on. I have it set to where stomping it toe down into green also turns on my wah on any songs (presets) that have wah.

yeah I use the spring loaded one too for that reason. You can set your auto engage on the AXE to movement based so that when you aren't moving the pedal after a while it will disengage, but you lose the cocked wah thing.

I think the mission LEDs are activated by a switch in the pedal, so the AXE auto engage can't toggle them, but I may be wrong.

Or you can turn up your ie's so you can hear. LOL

Haha, Chuc!

I know the Mission Engineering pedals can be ordered and/or retrofitted with a led light indicator. I've never seen one in person but I think the "mod" shouldn't be too complicated.

Lol! Talk about a way to cut through the mix! :eagerness:

I'll have a look for the mod, the expression pedal is actually a converted CryBaby I picked up from eBay, so I don't mind hacking it for mods etc. The only issue will be somehow linking the led on the pedal to the wah block on the Axe-Fx which I don't think can be done.

yeah I use the spring loaded one too for that reason. You can set your auto engage on the AXE to movement based so that when you aren't moving the pedal after a while it will disengage, but you lose the cocked wah thing.

I think the mission LEDs are activated by a switch in the pedal, so the AXE auto engage can't toggle them, but I may be wrong.

Or you can turn up your ie's so you can hear. LOL

Ha ha! The IEM's is probably the best starting point, I rushed sound check and this is what happens! Doh! :) Am going to set my wah to auto engage now to save myself from this happening again. Good advice!!

I guess I'm spoiled with the Roland personal monitor mixer system we have at church. I absolutely could not play well without hearing my tone decently. And some would say even that don't help...

I guess I'm spoiled with the Roland personal monitor mixer system we have at church. I absolutely could not play well without hearing my tone decently. And some would say even that don't help...

You guys sound pretty well setup.

We use the Behringer X32 at Church, so we set our monitor levels using apps on our iPhones. I had everything too low so as we started playing I had to quickly pull my IEM's half out of my ears so I could try hear what was going on; so my sound was totally lost on me. This was my fault as I should have set my IEMs level higher for live Worship rather than leave them at the level we use at practice.

Oddly with all the mistakes, I must have still gotten a very good distortion sound because I've had a lot of people send me messages today saying they loved that fat sound! Ha ha! Maybe the wah helped me cut through the mix better.....!

Back
Top Bottom