So I bought a Helix Stomp to compare with my Axe-Fx II

mikeyg

Experienced
Curious if anyone else has both, and has experienced this.

On the Stomp, I almost always have to add a compressor to every patch. Never in the Axe... the Axe natural compression always feels right with no need for tweaking.

Anyone notice this? Why is this, do you think?

Im not alone, I think Jsadites does this as well. Its not a huge deal, but on the stomp with only 6 blocks it can be...

I have Helix floor and Axe 2. I think it’s a great unit. I still give the edge to the Axe on reverb and delays. I don’t find I always use compression. They say Helix is getting exciting firmware updates this year.

Ok and what about the rest? Quality of the effect and amps?

It’s too early to say... I’m not a huge effects guy. I usually use reverb, and sometimes a mild delay. I miss the sheer variety of reverb options of the Axe though, several are very gimmicky, not real practical...

As for amps, I’m struggling to get anything comparable to the Axe...I could get to good tones on the Axe quicker...But on YouTube I’ve heard them sound very close, so I figure it’s just the learning curve.

In the amps I love the cartographer and the Friedman.

I didn’t buy the Stomp with the idea that only one would stay, it’s going to be my travel amp, and it will work very well in that capacity.

Back
Top Bottom