So I bought a Boss GT1000Core

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I was on the waiting list for a FM9. But it takes much too long and I needed a small unit for a live project, didn’t want to lug around my Axe fx II plus MFC. So I bought a used Boss GT1000Core for 450 euros.

I have to say so far I am really pleased with it. I had to get used to it because I played the Axe fx for many many years. Sure the quality of the effects is not up to the level of the Axe fx. Also the Axe fx is much more flexible. But the Boss is much more intuitive and user friendly for on the fly adjustments and editing on the unit itself. That’s a big plus for rehearsals and even gigs. All the important parameters show up in the five knobs under the screen. It is also 6 times cheaper than a FM9 and really small which is also a plus. Eventually I will probably buy a FM9 though. But for now the Boss is just fine. I also use it for bass. Anyone here that uses the Core?

Last edited:
Yes, and I love it. I can only say the same. Great sounds and very easy to use!

Yes been playing with it for a week now and I can get some great sounds out of it. It’s nice for bass also. It’s pretty flexible with a well thought out UI.

I owned the GT5 many years ago but this one sounds much better.

Would be worth investigating if a similar approach could be applied to the FAS devices. Where the GUI would let you switch between the regular ABCDE functionality and effect parameters.

That would be a good idea. I like that aspect better than the functionallity of the ABCD knobs of my Axe fx II (never became friends with those somehow). Of the course the Axe fx excels in other stuff but for live on the fly adjustments and editing at rehearsals the Boss works better (at least for me). Also the Boss has user input settings that can be saved. Very easy if you want to switch between guitars, or guitar and bass. Not sure if the Axe fx III of FM9 has that?

Jam packed, clunky turd. The goldilocks FF of the Boss modern GT world is the full size 1000. Boss fx are great to my ears. And the 2 amp models I enjoy sound great. Beyond that; that's absolutely it for me. The Core was the straw that broke the camel's back on Boss with me. I will most certainly always revisit their gear when they put "new" things out but I am done with them for the moment.

That would be a good idea. I like that aspect better than the functionallity of the ABCD knobs of my Axe fx II (never became friends with those somehow). Of the course the Axe fx excels in other stuff but for live on the fly adjustments and editing at rehearsals the Boss works better (at least for me). Also the Boss has user input settings that can be saved. Very easy if you want to switch between guitars, or guitar and bass. Not sure if the Axe fx III of FM9 has that?
Personally, Bluetooth editing on an IOS app are must haves for on the fly editing. Outside of that, I’ll grin and bear it until I can fix it at home. Made one too many on the fly mistakes and ruined a preset with no way to knowledgeably fix it at a show.

Jam packed, clunky turd. The goldilocks FF of the Boss modern GT world is the full size 1000. Boss fx are great to my ears. And the 2 amp models I enjoy sound great. Beyond that; that's absolutely it for me. The Core was the straw that broke the camel's back on Boss with me. I will most certainly always revisit their gear when they put "new" things out but I am done with them for the moment.

Just curious: what didn't you like about the Core? It's exactly the same as the Full size GT1000. Only smaller with less switches and no exp pedal.

Just curious: what didn't you like about the Core? It's exactly the same as the Full size GT1000. Only smaller with less switches and no exp pedal.
I have a history with Boss :| It seems like it is jam packed to the point of overkill. The implementation of the fx loops/subouts, no power switch, mini midi jack, micro usb, ugly screen and interface, the Boss way where you never add anything new, you just recycle the same crap you have been recycling forever.

I will say if I was using it for bass and you don't need a specific amp (that Boss will never give you); it would be killer for that application.

If they put out a guitar synth with the touchscreen interface; I'll buy it. The next must buy from them for me (if they put it out) is an updated GR55. Beyond that; I am so over-covered in amp modeling devices right now it's ridiculous.
Someone needs to make a modern guitar synth with a pickup. The GR55 is what, close to if not over 30 years old now?

Edit- was thinking of the GR33, which is now 22 years old. The GK2A pickup may predate that but I’m not certain. either way, this field is due for something revolutionary.

I have a history with Boss :| It seems like it is jam packed to the point of overkill. The implementation of the fx loops/subouts, no power switch, mini midi jack, micro usb, ugly screen and interface, the Boss way where you never add anything new, you just recycle the same crap you have been recycling forever.

I will say if I was using it for bass and you don't need a specific amp (that Boss will never give you); it would be killer for that application.

ok. I understand what you are saying about the subouts. Most people don't need that. In am ok with the micro usb and no powerswitch (my H9 also has no power switch for example). Screen is simple but ok for me. It's not worse or better than the Axe fx II screen. I don't need a fancy screen anyway. I don't feel it is jam packed otherwise. It doesn't have so many amps (I don't need 500 amps anyway), but the ones in there are pretty good. Also the three bass amps are good. The effects of the Axe fx are better but most Boss effects are ok too. I like the feedback effect and the dedicated bass effects, the drives are good too and love the Echoplex delay.

There is a place for both units and I will never ditch my Axe fx for the Boss, but both have it's strong points and different applications for me.

Someone needs to make a modern guitar synth with a pickup. The GR55 is what, close to if not over 30 years old now?

Edit- was thinking of the GR33, which is now 22 years old. The GK2A pickup may predate that but I’m not certain. either way, this field is due for something revolutionary.
The response to this is "oh no one wants those sounds". Then you see thread upon thread upon thread of "how do I make my guitar sound like an organ/trumpet/sax/piano" and you have the GR stuff (long in the tooth and support from Boss is still lacking), JamOrigin (which is buggy af in my experience), Fishman TriplePlay (which has all sorts of caveats...reliance on soft synths, connector, proprietary footswitch without dedicated hardware; the list goes on with that turd really) or the EHX stuff which really only works if you are Bill Ruppert and want to redial your desired sounds for each song on the fly or buy a pedal per preset and have outboard routing solutions. It's dumb.
ok. I understand what you are saying about the subouts. Most people don't need that. In am ok with the micro usb and no powerswitch (my H9 also has no power switch for example). Screen is simple but ok for me. It's not worse or better than the Axe fx II screen. I don't need a fancy screen anyway. I don't feel it is jam packed otherwise. It doesn't have so many amps (I don't need 500 amps anyway), but the ones in there are pretty good. Also the three bass amps are good. The effects of the Axe fx are better but most Boss effects are ok too. I like the feedback effect and the dedicated bass effects, the drives are good too and love the Echoplex delay.

There is a place for both units and I will never ditch my Axe fx for the Boss, but both have it's strong points and different applications for me.
I like Boss stuff generally. By packed; I mean jacks and (outdated) plugs all over the place.

As I said I like the 1000 Core very much. I was also fooling around with the feedback effect, hoping that it could be even better then the freqout pedal, but I never got good results. To me it seemed very noisy, but maybe I didn't have enough patience or expertise. Could you maybe share feedback settings that really work for you?

As I said I like the 1000 Core very much. I was also fooling around with the feedback effect, hoping that it could be even better then the freqout pedal, but I never got good results. To me it seemed very noisy, but maybe I didn't have enough patience or expertise. Could you maybe share feedback settings that really work for you?

What kind of noise do you mean?
I have different settings, but one of them is:
mode; osc
trigger: to CTRL1
rise time:70
oct rise:70
feedb: 40
oct fbk: 70
vib rate: 85
vib depth: 8

I place it after the noise gate and before the amp or overdrive. I never tried the Freqout but this setting sounds very good to me. Let me know how that's works out for you. Like your Zappa picture!

Like @JiveTurkey , @Bruce Sokolovic , and I’m sure many others here, I have slogged thru the minefields of MIDI/synth guitar for about as long as they have been extant…..Casio may actually have hit the sweet spot with my 1987 PG-380, a state of the art superstrat (made alongside and inspired by the earliest Japanese Saber style Ibanez’s of the mid-80s with DIN MIDI out, onboard cheesy Casiostyle synth and lots of capacitors and other crap that have necessitated numerous repairs..but lives still in my axe dungeons……..(and YOU can own one now..(Not mine). https://reverb.com/item/3261812-casio-pg-380-synth-guitar-mij-by-ibanez (or not…its been sold)

7A45F94B-E506-4397-8765-B8CEB9984CA8.jpeg
Surprisingly, I have had very good results using the Jamstik Studio , which allows MPE and string per channel MIDI routing through Bluetooth, USB C ..OR 1/8” plug...and is a very respectable travel axe with decent pickups (with no tone control)…albeit control of the MIDI functions is tied to its app, which only became fully mature recently..but worth it.,,IMHO.
https://jamstik.com/

Last edited:
I was on the waiting list for a FM9. But it takes much too long and I needed a small unit for a live project, didn’t want to lug around my Axe fx II plus MFC. So I bought a used Boss GT1000Core for 450 euros.

I have to say so far I am really pleased with it. I had to get used to it because I played the Axe fx for many many years. Sure the quality of the effects is not up to the level of the Axe fx. Also the Axe fx is much more flexible. But the Boss is much more intuitive and user friendly for on the fly adjustments and editing on the unit itself. That’s a big plus for rehearsals and even gigs. All the important parameters show up in the five knobs under the screen. It is also 6 times cheaper than a FM9 and really small which is also a plus. Eventually I will probably buy a FM9 though. But for now the Boss is just fine. I also use it for bass. Anyone here that uses the Core?
I have one as well... Nice to have..

Back
Top Bottom