So I am going to go with an FM3 in the loop of an FM9

javajunkie

I was running a timeline, big sky, volante, hog , and 3 drive pedals , but I have come to like the Fractal Delays and Reverbs a little better than the strymon and I just need a little extra processing power to get my presets all ported over from the 3. The volante will stay , it just sounds great and it hold function is simple and sounds amazing. I think I will keep at least a couple of the drive pedals though. I really like the 1st gen Dan Electro Cool Cat Transparent drive. It just a little extra sparkle. For some reason, I like it better than my Timmy, even though they are supposed to be pretty much the same, The Keeley Super Phat Mod pedal sound great in the FM9 loop as well. That should give me more the ample processing. I need to use a rjm GT controller until the fm9 gets songs/sets and can transmit expression pedal travel as CC values. It would be nice to have the RJM GT w/ FM9 support but it is minor issue for now. I'll have a giant pedalboard instead of a rack (Quite a bit lighter though).

I considered running the FM3 in the loop of the FM9 just so I could run a 3-amp rig. But I have moved away from that idea as it seems like more hassle than I want to deal with. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Don't need three amp set up, but for freeing up cpu for drives, plex delay, and pitch shifter. The FM3 will take up smaller space than what I would put in its place. The fm9 and fm3 will all be controlled with a midi controller, so it should be easy to manage.

Don't need three amp set up, but for freeing up cpu for drives, plex delay, and pitch shifter. The FM3 will take up smaller space than what I would put in its place. The fm9 and fm3 will all be controlled with a midi controller, so it should be easy to manage.
Why not use the FM9 as the master unit and use preset/scene changes and associated midi messages to trigger changes on the FM3?

I got the FM9 and FM3 running together. I have the FM3 SPDIF out going to FM9 SPDIF In. And, FM3 out 2 to FM9 input 2.

Seems to work great.

Yes, I've done the same (SPDIF) with the FM3 and the III. Why the analog connection as well?

So I am getting Scenes names and Tuner info to the Mastermind through the FM3 until the mastermind get FM9 support.
I managed to get the Cool Cat Transparent OD, Keeley Super Phat Mod, EHX Hog 2, in a GRX4 looper to in/out 3 on the FM9. So loop1 goes to cool cat, look 2 to Keeley, loop 3 to Hog 2, loop 4 is for switching Scenes on a Line 6 G75 wireless Relay.
The FM3 is in in/out 2 of the FM9 (SPDIF out FM3 to SPDIF input on the FM9).
What is nice with the Relay is I can output to FM3 and FM9 at the same time. So going from output B on the Relay to input 1 of the FM3 allows me to get tuner info on the Mastermind and pitch and envelope detection from input 1 of the FM3.

Support for GXR4 and FM3 is bult into the Mastermind so the makes some of the programming a lot faster. Hopefully the get FM9 support soon.
The Hog 2 has quite a but of MIDI control so I decided to use that for POG tones.

I got the FM9 and FM3 running together. I have the FM3 SPDIF out going to FM9 SPDIF In. And, FM3 out 2 to FM9 input 2.

Seems to work great.

So I’m trying to do the same thing with my axe-fx III and my FM9 but am getting no signal. Could you provide some details on how you set this up?

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. I had to switch the receiving device to accept an external world clock on the SPDIF input.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom