So how many of you made the switch to 'all axe'...?

Made the switch to Axe II initially with a 4x12 then a few months ago switched to FRFR. I had some initial period of adjustment to the nuances of FRFR and the great folks on this forum were a lot of help. Once I added a PEQ and tweaked some of the high and low frequencies I was home. I have no urges to see another real amp again. I have all of them now!

I've been playing connected direct to line and monitoring through FRFR speakers since 1.992

I have used a lot of small and big gear since then (anything but guitar amplifiers). Here is the main gear that I've been using on the live-setup rig:

1: ART SGX-2000 fart
2: Marshall JMP-1 + Boss GX700 + Roland VG8.
3: Mesa Triaxis + Boss GT-Pro + VG8 + Eventide Eclipse
4: Egnater RM4 + GT-Pro + VG8 + Eventide Eclipse
5: Axe-FX Standard + VG88. I can see the light!
6: Axe-FX Ultra + VG99 Nirvana!
7: Axe-FX II + VG99 Supra-Nirvana!

(without counting many different speaker simulators, pedals, midi converters, synth modules, etc... and gear that I've just tried and sold immediately)

Last edited:
When I first got the axe-fx, I had a Roctron velocity 300 and Marshall 1960A. I set up the axe into this, played for a short while, then tried it running into a small home stereo in my practice room. 20 minutes later, I loaded the Roctron and Marshall into the car, drove to GC, and traded for 2 QSC K12's. I wouldn't consider running anything but FRFR. Sounds better and gives a lot more flexibilty.

I went "instantly", during a 10 day stretch without gigs,
pedals, buffer, amp, miced cab, fx in a rack, and a two way switch where "B" went into an acoustic rig with parametric EQ, a 2 channel preamp and fx unit
TO: Axe-fx, volume pedal, expression pedal, midi footswitch, FRFR

I dumped a 24 space shock mount rack full of Mesa Boogie, Eventide, Lexicon, DBX,etc as well as 2 4x12 recto cabs for a 2 space rack direct to the PA and never sounded better.

Im considering my self being in the switch-over phase right now.
But i want to gig with it more before i sell more stuff. Not that im leaning towards going back to amps at all, it just feel good to take things slow, since i dont really need the cash right now either.

What i have left is my SF Twin reverb, my home-built 5F6A/JTM-45 with a 2x12 and my pedalboard.

I'll throw in my "me too" on this.

Old setup was a Mesa Road King II and 2x12 or 4x12 cab with pedalboard. Now using AFXII, MFC, and one RCF monitor and I didn't lose a thing except the back ache.

Direct to FOH, RCF for stage sound. Simple, light (comparatively), compact. Most of all it sounds better more consistently. Changed with no inclination whatsoever to consider going back.

Switched to all Axe about one year ago... from almost nothing as I never owned a single tube amp :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom