So how many of you made the switch to 'all axe'...?

ventura

Experienced
Just a contemplation. A query of sorts. A pondering.

I'm not talking about a poweramp in the chain (analog or solid state), I'm not talking about running the odd 4x12 or 1x12 guitar cabinet, I'm not talking about keeping the odd stomp up front or in the chain.

I'm talking about going from all manner of gear pertaining to sound amplification and tone-tailoring all the way to only Axe-II and active FRFR monitors. I'm interested to know, and interested to know what led you down this path to satisfaction and, if you will, Fractal Enlightenment.

Thanks for your replies,
V.

That's where my journey ended. So I didn't just completely go from amps to AXe and FR rig as many here have done the same thing. I know that there are some new people that probably have done this based on what I don't know I do know that the Standard and Ultra owners have has a steeper conversion curve then the Axe II peeps.

I went amps/pedalboard to Line 6 Vetta II combo and then to Axe FX Ultra and now Axe FX II. I have never looked back. I still own a small Jet City 20w combo that I keep in my office to screw around with, but every gig for the last 3 years has been 100% axe fx.

I went from an original two channel Triple Recto with Recto 4x12 cab straight to the Axe-fx II, MFC-101 and powered wedges. Never looked back.
I use it for live and recording all the time.

Had my Randall head blow up at a show one night. Ended up using a loner amp to get by that night. While the head was getting repaired I used a Standard for the next show and never looked back. Once i got my head back I played it all of 60 seconds and sold it a few months later.

Hey mo ;)

I went from 1/2 a dozen amps and cabs mesa/orange/vox/marshall etc. right down to just the axe then bailed and have gone back to diezel and CAA, I just can't give em up or the buzz of NAD, no reflection on fractal, I'm just an amp guy and prefer them for what I do, but I also use my FRFR Axe II every day.

Hey mo ;)

I went from 1/2 a dozen amps and cabs mesa/orange/vox/marshall etc. right down to just the axe then bailed and have gone back to diezel and CAA, I just can't give em up or the buzz of NAD, no reflection on fractal, I'm just an amp guy and prefer them for what I do, but I also use my FRFR Axe II every day.
Ha!! Thanks Scruff...

I posted this question as I'm eagerly awaiting my 2 x Active CLR wedges. I've not had the chance to fully "immerse" myself in the full-on capabilities of the A2. It's always been with a poweramp, or a cab, or this, or that. Never FRFR - not yet anyway. I'm hoping it makes the magic finally click, as I've always had a "foot out" with respect to any of the setups I've had thus far with the Ultra or the Axe-ii. I know it's capable - more than capable - of getting to where I want it to go, but I've just not had the tools available.

I'm interested to know who out there went full-axe. And who also tends to keep the keepers in the world of analog. Agreed, it'd be hard to give up my Diezel(s). Or my 20thA-X for that matter. But if the magic lil' black box sounded just like these or responded just like these? Of course, there'd be no reason to keep 'em.

Cheers,
V. (100% authentic, undiluted, pure, freshly squeezed "Mo")

I can't say I made the switch to FRFR yet.....would like to someday

I am running just the AxeII with my Matrix GT1000 into 2x12 stereo cabs and have been playing all my gigs with that and an MFC1010 and no other effects. So easy and haven't looked back at running my entire rack of pedals and switchers for a while now.
Waiting to get the opportunity to run FRFR....when I do, I'm sure I will have gas for some FRFR

My bass sounds killer Axe-Fx II into FRFR ... I also have a keyboard that I feed into my axe via a mixer in the FX loop as well as a tube preamp I sometimes use. The path to Enlightenment is different for us all and requires much experimentation ... and cash :)

Tried Direct-to-FOH/FRFR in the fall of 2007 out of necessity for a gig using and depending solely on my Fractal Audio Standard with a Rocktron All Access midi controller.

Never looked back. Five years on, happy as a clam with the same basic approach but drop in the Axe-FX II and MFC-101. It's a monster system.

I use to have 30 amplifiers. In addition I had six soundproof bunkers in my basement where I would feed isolated speaker cabinets, which were mic'd up. These were huge each having a 4x12, often with various speakers and microphones per cab.

In addition I had two 24 space rack cases full of Eventide and Lexicon gear.

The Axe II gives me more flexibility, without the need of the aforementioned, @ 2% of the cost.

Hell yeah I switched.

Got the Axe Fx Ultra initially and then I went on to the Axe FxII,which I love way too much. Just went for it after hearing all the sounds and praise, initially was buying an entire Diezle Amp rig.
Had played through various tube amps,loved them and thought digital would never be my thing. How wrong was I,not only did it save me a lot of
money it also gave me the tones that I hear in my head. I can have endless routing possibilities which at times aren't even possible in the physical world. It really is a phenomenal
invention. I was just glad I never bought the Diezle Rig. Plus when do you really get a rig that keeps improving and comes with new add-ons for free,is that even possible? Yup with the Fractal it very much is.

So how many of you made the switch to 'all axe'...?

I've been a vintage Marshall "tube snob" for most of my 30+ guitar playing years plus many other high end tube amps... don't have a one left due to the Axe Ultra and now the II. So much a, "Marriage made in Heaven" I feel like I'm cheating on my wife ... sometimes. :razz

Started out amps & pedals then the need for more versatility and a quieter rig led me down the modeling path to a GSP1101. Loved that setup but couldn't help the nagging itch that I knew there was better out there. Eventually got an Axe II about a year ago and have never regretted a thing. I love the versatility of FRFR and that the system is so scalable from headphones to bedroom to window rattling. Never been happier with my music gear.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just over a year of FRFR only usage on the axe and I keep making it sound better and better (alright Cliff makes it better not me). From the, now mystifying, Metal Zone into a Marshall JCM and 1960 to Standard-poweramp-cab and now stereo FRFR and Axe II. The only issue I have is with sound guys who tell me why "PA speakers aren't meant for guitar amplification" or "Which speaker should I mic?". Honestly, the most exciting and bang-for-buck piece of gear I've ever seen or heard of. My drummer actually told me to buy the Axe...I guess their advice is worth listening to once in a while...

Though I briefly ran through a power amp & cab, I quickly adopted FRFR and couldn't see myself going back.

Ditto for me. I have owned a gazillion amps over the years. Tried Fractal, starting with an Ultra and Rocktron All Access. Now use The FXII and an MFC 101. I use it for recording, and live stage. I would never go back to anything else. I run Out 1 L/R to FOH. I run out 2 L/R to the effects return of a Line 6 Flextone XLII with a TRS cable. I use the Flextone as a stage monitor only. The Flextone is a 100 watt combo loaded with 2 x 12 Celestions. Sounds great. I tried the Fractal stuff figuring that if it did not blow me away, I would return it. I seriously doubt FAS gets a lot of returns. Presently I have no need or desire to do the FRFR, as using the effects return in the Flextone gives me a good monitor for our live shows. Whether live or studio, the Fractal is the best gear I ever bought. I tweak a lot, and the Fractal lasts longer than sex.

Just sold my amp a month ago after it sat unplayed for nearly a year. I don't miss it at all. I'm not ruling out ever getting a tube amp again just for the fun of it, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The Axe-Fx has gotten me to stop looking at my rig for tone, and turned my focus more toward ensuring that my guitars have a good setup and quality components. I've neglected my guitars in the past in favor of a new amp or pedal. I've been surprised just how much tone is in the guitar itself. It should seem obvious, I guess, but there's a lot to be said about the tonal differences between pickups and even just the tonal benefits of a good setup.

It's been quite fun and challenging actually, learning how to make my guitars perform at their best.

Back
Top Bottom