So how do the new Drives sound?

GreatGreen

Power User
I haven't been able to test out the new Q5 firmware yet due to a tight work schedule lately.

Has anybody been able to test out the new drives or compare them against the old drives and/or the real things?

Really really good. And I say this as someone who gets all of their live overdrive sounds using the drive blocks. I'm much happier with the TS-808 model now. Ruckus is fabulous too.

I 2nd the TS-808 and Ruckus models are much improved. The Brit 800 set clean with the Ruckus around 4 is my new go to for OD tones. Sounds tasty, really cuts through and brings out open chord definition.

They're fantastic. Though the AxeFX takes pedals *extremely* well. I have a nice collection of boutique and vintage overdrives that I love to plug straight into the front of the AxeFX. Sounds as good as if I was going straight into an amp.

Ok so i updated to Q6.from 3.02. So the drives have more gain? or my old setting doesn't sound like it used to. I mostly use the Zen Master for my OD, so last night i kicked it in and it had wayy more gain then the older firmware, had to roll it off. I should have auditioned it at home but i didnt really think to with the drive block.. Also i have the mix at 100% maybe it should be at 50%?

Ok so i updated to Q6.from 3.02. So the drives have more gain? or my old setting doesn't sound like it used to. I mostly use the Zen Master for my OD, so last night i kicked it in and it had wayy more gain then the older firmware, had to roll it off. I should have auditioned it at home but i didnt really think to with the drive block.. Also i have the mix at 100% maybe it should be at 50%?
Typically the mix would be at 100%, but a nice trick available in the Axe is to play with the mix setting. I use the TS808 at about 75% on my Fender Twin preset and it sounds really nice.

The amps definitely have a bit more gain with Q6 onwards and Cliff has advised to lower the gain on your fav presets a little if you update, so that might be what is causing your drive block to sound too driven possibly.

I have normally had my drive block with 100% mix but with Q6 I have definitely had to look for the sweet spot with the mix/level/drive; and on most of them I now take the mix down to a range between 40% - 70%. All depends on the type of drive and amp combination really. The result is very, very good! Much better than when I left mix at 100. And I can hear how different each pedal sounds now too.

I just can't get a good sound from the drives, I prefer to use just the amps for gain etc. plenty of options on them to get a good sound.

Mainly the BB Preamp, TS08 and the Super OD with the JTM45, Friedman BE/HBE and JVM models. Also tried them with the Usa Lead amps too.

I also prefer amp drive for primary character vs. super clean amp with heavy drive. In that context the FAS Boost is tremendously transparent. You can use it as an additional gain stage and bump up the gain of your original amp tone.

Another nice combo for me has been Two Stone J35 1 Amp with Eternal Love Drive Block before it with:
Drive @ 0.75
Tone @ 4.85
Mix @ 85%
Level @ 8.75
Mid Freq @ 500Hz with a -1.35 dB cut for clarity
It's mostly there for added character, focus and a really nice vocal "sing".

I've also enjoyed the Zen Master, T808, and the Full OD with similar settings (0.75 - 2.5 range) with edge of break-up to mildly overdriven amps (5F8 Tweed, Mr. Z Mz-38, Wrecker Rocket, Shiver Lead). I tend to cut @ 500Hz and set the Mix @ 80-90% by default, in order to keep the clarity and punch of the original amp tone intact. For me the lower gain, higher level recipe helps the amp do most of the heavy lifting, rather than adding fizz from the drive block.

See if any of those tickle your fancy... :)

Cool suggestions! Definitely going to try them out today :) I'm new here and I love playing / exploring with the Axe FX!

I haven't been able to test out the new Q5 firmware yet due to a tight work schedule lately.

Has anybody been able to test out the new drives or compare them against the old drives and/or the real things?

FANFUCKINGTASTIC

I just got back into the PI fuzz also They have nailed the best fuzz ive ever had in my life
Dialed in the Rukus then went into the PI Fuzz.. Just really out of this world now...

I have not gotten into other pedals yet this time and Q6.3 is here now so dialing things in
saving as into library and about to back everything up and get 6.3..

Elated would not begin to describe how happy I am.

FINALLY found a fuzz I love..
its only taken about 32 years

Back
Top Bottom