So, Fullbody or Semihollow? I can't choose!

So, Fullbody or semihollow

• Semihollow

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Fullbodied!

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
So!
I'm building my second guitar, it's a headless singlecut which keeps it quite vintage specd.
But I can't decide If I want to make it a semihollow or perhaps keep it as is as a headless less(head) paul.

What do you think?
Now before anyone says, check the features, your pros and cons and all that.
I truly love both styles and don't care so much about the compromises. I truly love both

A lot depends on your playing style. I have both and semihollow will guard better against unwanted feedback and also provide those awesome warm tones. You can still rock a hollow (I think Nugent used to and I do my Black Falcon), if you want.

Bottom line: semihollow will provide greater flexibility, but if you will play mostly Jazz (and some styles of Country) then go full hollow.

Word of advice: if using humbuckers, incorporate a coil split. The tones on either can be really full and rich, but there are times you'll want some added clarity and more tonal options.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your original post, you weren't asking about hollow body. I would definitely go semihollow with humbuckers and a coil split (but I may be biased). I think semihollows have fallen out of fashion (Dave Grohl rocks a 335), but they are actually extremely versatile guitars. Rhett Shull has deemed the 335 as "one guitar to rule them all". I agree as I stumbled upon it when making the jump from classical guitar and I can't get away from it. I actually just saw a YT vid posted by GuitarMAX of him shredding with the Firefly knockoff...very versatile. I think a lot of bias in what guitar fits with what genre can be solely based on optics at times (I mean no one envisions a shredder with a 335).

Got to about 3:40 and have a listen:

Last edited:
If it's semi hollow, are you making it ES-335 thick, hollow body Les Paul thick, or are you going thicker like ES-175 thick but with a center block?

Back
Top Bottom