So frustrated....

yeah we all use IEM's. and maybe I could do that, I just feel like it sets a better example to use what I'm asking them to use.

I remember when you posted about picking up these amps. Just wanted to say for the record, despite how much I love running an AxeFx rig, asking people to use an HC30 isn't exactly the worst thing in the world :p

I'd venture to guess it all boils down to gain staging so that the AxeFx input while running 4CM responds just like going straight into the amp (I haven't read the whole thread... I'm sure someone else has already said as much).

yes i've tried both outputs maxed and everywhere in between. it's weird how it feels like it's hitting the amp with less level but i'm hearing what almost sounds like clipping.

According to the wiki, there's a 6dB volume difference between bypass and non-bypass on the rack units. Apparently by design.

Again I suggest NOT using the internal bypass, which doesn't bypass the DSP, just the grid. It routes (via DSP) Input 1 to all of the outputs. So it's not testing much. You need to test with an external loop switcher (such as http://www.one-control.com/1-loop-box.html). Humbusters are an absolute must when working with an amp, so make sure you've got those in place.

Reading up on the HC30, its loop has a pretty poor reputation, especially with regard to tone and volume loss.

We know that many pro artists still use the Axe-Fx II for effects only, so we know that variable of the equation works well.

We've also heard Cliff say that the XL+ is just as good as the FX8 for 4CM and he uses it all the time, so moving to a floor unit probably won't help your situation (other than to say that the FX8 is much easier in achieving unity gain).

yes i've tried both outputs maxed and everywhere in between. it's weird how it feels like it's hitting the amp with less level but i'm hearing what almost sounds like clipping.

I was just looking at a manual that I think was for the correct amp. It mentions using stereo Y cables and that the loop was not made for +4 operation?!? I might be wrong but just curious. Frankly this should just work and be incredible. I only use 4cm method with rectifier and evh amps and the unity gain is just incredible and dead quiet for me.

Forgetting the 2 output knobs for a moment, pressing the I/O button, what is the instrument , input 1 and input 2 set on? Mine were set from factory but they were actually too low. So I followed advice from the forum and raised them until my clip lights were coming on and then backed off a little. I'm now set at 90%. It made a huge difference.
I had similar problems with everything sounding muddy and like a blanket was over my cab. My issues were those levels were too low, as stated, and too much bass / low end on every preset. Once I backed off the bass, and dropped everything below 120hz in the amp's EQ, my rig came alive. I also checked each block's output level to make sure they were not set too high. I've never messed with the final output level in the chain. I keep everything on "0". I usually use my amp block's output to adjust the balance between preset volume levels.
And last thing, since I use my Axe for live, and most pro PA systems are setup mono, I do not use stereo anything and sum my Axe's input/output so channel 1 and 2 are the same. I actually followed YEK's preset settings to set my presets where channel 1 goes to FOH and channel 2 goes to my stage amp. This way I can use a final EQ block on the channel 1 FOH side, for quick adjustments when needed.
This may not help, but I thought it was worth posting.

Back
Top Bottom