So far I'm not entirely sold on the Axe Fx 3....

Ah okay, didn't know that it was about the number of octaves. 6 octaves will indeed pose a challenge, if not impossible.
Can't imagine when I would want to use that, but that's not the point.
Ok, well first of all when using the divebomb feature on the Whammy pedal it goes so low that it is unintelligible (low rumble). It may not even actually be -6oct as it states on the back of the pedal, (nor does it really matter) but the point is that you can simulate plunging the bar until the strings are slack. It is actually a cool feature and sounds awesome! It's a dramatic effect and not really a song writing type of effect but neither is divebombing the bar on your guitar until the strings go slack.

I love my whammy pedal and the Divebomb feature of real whammy pedals is definitely usable and fun. That is why I miss it on the Axe Fx. Not having on the Axe FX is a notable omission. I'm sure if you had it you'd appreciate it and perhaps find somewhere to slip it in for dramatic effect. It's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Ok, well first of all when using the divebomb feature on the Whammy pedal it goes so low that it is unintelligible (low rumble). It may not even actually be -6oct as it states on the back of the pedal, (nor does it really matter) but the point is that you can simulate plunging the bar until the strings are slack. It is actually a cool feature and sounds awesome! It's a dramatic effect and not really a song writing type of effect but neither is divebombing the bar on your guitar until the strings go slack.

I love my whammy pedal and the Divebomb feature of real whammy pedals is definitely usable and fun. That is why I miss it on the Axe Fx. Not having on the Axe FX is a notable omission. I'm sure if you had it you'd appreciate it and perhaps find somewhere to slip it in for dramatic effect. It's pretty cool.
Did you watch the Pitch block demo that @camilovelandiamusic did? There is a short section demoing the whammy and it's pretty string-flapping low!

Did you watch the Pitch block demo that @camilovelandiamusic did? There is a short section demoing the whammy and it's pretty string-flapping low!
I just saw it now. My impression was that the drop tune sounded artifacty and stuttery. :/

The whammy down sounded cool but wait till you hear the real divebomb. It’s a different thing altogether.

In regards to effects, it seems to me that a lot whom are saying they want a bigger focus on fx development, actually want FAS to model real life pedals, complete with settings so it's like using the real thing, instead of giving a blank slate base line of the effect with default settings leaving the end user to figure it out on thier own.

This gets especially difficult when the effect pedal in question is actually a combination of different effects working together with real time mods to produce the signature effect, and the end user is unable to reproduce it.

I don't live on the forums, but this is what I've observed most of the time.
Agreed! FAS stuff can get in the way of playing and writing (which is the point) a lot. Some of the clientele like me believed I could get my old sound or deathly close plus so much more. Some live by od pedals and delays just can’t get the sound because it is like you say. People are coming from a full set of strymons and like me still haven’t gotten close to the delay sound. I just wanna use one block and get the dual delay effect I use to have not using a crazy set of blocks that are just emulating that one effect which can be as stressful as binary. I haven’t got my invitation yet but watching this and other discussion it makes you wonder where FAS is going.

Axe3 makes a good compromise with the "Basic" and "Expert" or "Advanced" pages available for most of the blocks.

But block presets would be really great to allow people to get closer to "that tone" without compromising tweak-ability. Why isn't there a Klon model? Because you can get there with the FET drive, configured correctly, right? So why can't I download a Klon block preset for that FET drive and start tweaking from there, instead being forced to either apply an entire Patch or Scene, or having to manually set the block config?

Unless I'm missing something... :p
What in your opinion can basic produce? Is it a meh sound because it’s basic or can you get what you want from all three?

I just saw it now. My impression was that the drop tune sounded artifacty and stuttery. :/

The whammy down sounded cool but wait till you hear the real divebomb. It’s a different thing altogether.

It seems strange that digitech
Whammy and Droptune at a couple of hundred bucks still holds the title for that effect Kemper Helix etc all seem to miss the Digitech stability

It seems strange that digitech
Whammy and Droptune at a couple of hundred bucks still holds the title for that effect Kemper Helix etc all seem to miss the Digitech stability
Says quite a bit about the fact that you're paying for the programming, not the hardware.

Digitech seems to have always had decent pitch algorithms. Even the old IPS -33 did good shifting for its era.

I own many of the devices/instruments designed to allow a player to use a standard tuned instrument to play detuned (or in an alternate tuning). Although most of them are pretty good at doing that, when I plug in a drop tuned guitar I realize how artificial they all sound.

I completely get not wanting to carry around multiple guitars, and I do frequently rely on technology to drop my guitar down a few steps. However, I have come to realize for me all "electronic" means for shifting the overall pitch of my guitar are compromises unless I want the glitchiness/artificialness as an effect in and of itself.

I have been hoping the folks over at Evertune will decide one day to tackle this problem mechanically with their version of something like a Transtrem.

Back
Top Bottom