So far I’m completely sold on the Axe3...

Oh C'mon! We need details. Notice improved sound quality? Favorite new features?

Well, I think pretty much everyone had covered what I would probably say...the new screen is super helpful and will make you want to edit from the front panel whereas with the 2xl+, if I forgot my laptop at a rehearsal and I felt compelled to make an edit I’d just end up saying, “Fuck it” and wait until the next rehearsal.

I’ve been playing around with the input impedance and that’s been fun. I don’t know if the Axe2xl+ was set for a different input impedance (I never messed with it...not sure if it was even an adjustable feature to be honest) or if maybe the increased clarity afforded by the improved converters made the feel a little TOO immediate but playing around with the input impedance helped me get more of the feel I have come to expect from my favorite models on the 2...but I also like being able to have that fine of an adjustment of the responsiveness and there are a few models that I feel benefit from the impedance set to 1 megaohm (and some that would benefit from it being set lower for a higher impedance). My fave setting is the 250k + cap. It’s a little more immediate and snappy than the 2 (which to my ears and fingers sounds and feels closer to the 90k setting on the 3) but not as stiff as the 1 megaohm setting.

Like many others I’m chomping at the bit for those FC controllers and that’s where features like channels, utilizing the extra inputs for incorporating my guitar synths and loopers in a live setting and other stuff will really come alive I suspect.

I haven’t had a chance to dig deep into the advanced settings yet...that will probably happen either Thursday or over the weekend when I get to the space but so far I’m liking that my jangly tones and cleans are a little sweeter...and maybe it’s my imagination but to my ears some of the drives sound nicer to me...particularly the RAT and some of the cleaner overdrives.

My only beefs (and they’re minor) are fairly well documented, apparently, and are getting the highest quality of neglect and disregard as we speak. :D

If you want a gateway to the evolving future of guitar amplification NOW coupled with a comprehensive family album of it’s past, this is it unless something completely comes out of left field somewhere. It’s almost perfect.

I never had any of the other Fractal stuff, the Axe 3 is my first introduction to the Fractal world. But man I am so blown away. This thing will keep me busy for years. I was able to dial in a 5150 quickly, but then I spent the next hour shuffling through cabs, maybe there are too many! Seriously though amazing work from the Fractal guys. This is quite an upgrade after using stuff like Amplitube.

I never had any of the other Fractal stuff, the Axe 3 is my first introduction to the Fractal world. But man I am so blown away. This thing will keep me busy for years. I was able to dial in a 5150 quickly, but then I spent the next hour shuffling through cabs, maybe there are too many! Seriously though amazing work from the Fractal guys. This is quite an upgrade after using stuff like Amplitube.
The 5153 100 watt blue is an absolutely amazing model.

Agreed. Been my go to on the II, XL, AX8 and it's now even better on the III.
Hmm, I was using the red since it seemed like it had a little more gain. I will check out the blue, seems like it is the favorite. But man I could hardly sleep last night I was so pumped about the possibilities with this unit.

Hmm, I was using the red since it seemed like it had a little more gain. I will check out the blue, seems like it is the favorite. But man I could hardly sleep last night I was so pumped about the possibilities with this unit.
Yep, less gain. But I throw a 808 in front. It just seems a little punchier to me that the red.

It's just like the real amp. The 100 watt head has a lot less gain on the blue channel than the red. I use a drive block before the amp too.

Yep, less gain. But I throw a 808 in front. It just seems a little punchier to me that the red.
Yep. Same here. Red channel is more compressed. Blue channel has more of a hot rodded Marshall flavor IMO. I use a T808 in the drive block as well to juice the front and tighten the low end.

Would love to trade patches when you get it squared away.
Sure I've got 2 different ones I'm using right now. My preset from my XL and AX8 that I recreated on the III and the new one on the III. Basically the same preset. Both use EVH cab IR's in stereo but the new one on the III uses a different set of EVH cab IR's. Don't know which I like better. Probably won't know till I try it out at full volume with the band.

Last edited:
Sure I've got 2 different ones I'm using right now. My preset from my XL and AX8 that I recreated on the III and the new one on the III. Basically the same preset. Both use EVH cab IR's in stereo but the new one on the III uses a different set of EVH cab IR's. Don't know which I like better. Probably won't know till I try it out at full volume with the band.
I would interested to see your setup presets as well. I actually own a 5150 head so I kind of have a baseline understanding from that. But the cabs are totally overwhelming to me since there are so many options.

I would interested to see your setup presets as well. I actually own a 5150 head so I kind of have a baseline understanding from that. But the cabs are totally overwhelming to me since there are so many options.
I used 5153 100 watt halfstacks for 9 years before switching to Fractal so I know what they should sound like. I used the original 5150 blockletter from 91' to 2009 before switching to the 5153. Helps knowing what the amp should sound like when dialing it in on the Fractal. At least for me anyway. I stick with the matching EVH IR's when using that amp block. I use two though in stereo. I've been using factory cabs 161 and 162 for the last couple of years. Individually they are ok. But mixed together they have the sound I hear in my head or that I'm used to with the real amps. They are in the Legacy Section of CAB IR's in the III. 161 and 162. A 4047 mic and the other cab with a 57. Can't remember what the new IR's are. They are the stock cab IR's in the factory 5153 preset. Preset #27.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom