So External switches (besides Expression pedal) Midi Control#'s?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So , like my FS7, it's all about midi control #'s, etc? Been so long . Last time I used exts was with my AXeFX 1, I think, long, long time ago. I mean besides exp pedals.

So , like my FS7, it's all about midi control #'s, etc? Been so long . Last time I used exts was with my AXeFX 1, I think, long, long time ago. I mean besides exp pedals.
Sorry. I have no idea what you're asking.

If setting the external pedals(in my case double Boss FS-7) is with midi control numbers, etc, etc? When I look at the page i\o, then pedals it seems somewhat, different? It's just been a long time.

They are external controllers.

Or you can set them up as stand in switches and then treat them like the built-in switches.

I never used externals with my AXeFXII, XL or XL+ or AX8. With the axfx's I had a LF+jr+....With the Ax8 didn't need them.

I would like them like the built in switches....I'll find it. I almost have the whole manual printed out now-but I have lots of paper and a nice laser printer.

I would like them like the built in switches....

then you want to configure them as stand-in switches.

OK so just quickly. AS stand in switches am I still dealing with midi CC#'s, etc?

No.

What you do is configure an unused switch on one of the Layouts - it doesn't matter which layout as long as its something you are not using. Configure a switch for the functions that you want to use - both Tap and Hold.

After that, on the face of the FM3 (I don't think you can do this in EM3-Edit), go to the Setup Menu > FC Controllers/Onboard Switches > Stand-In Switches. On this page, scroll down to the Pedal input jack connection that has your switch (FM3 SW1 Tip/Ring, or FM3 SW2 Tip/Ring). For the selected Pedal input jack, use the NAV button to move to the right to the Layout column, use the VALUE wheel to select the Layout that has your Stand-in switch assignment. Next NAV to the right to the Switch column and choose the switch number within the selected Layout that you have configured with your stand-in switch function.

I hope that makes sense...

Last edited:
The FS-7 isn’t a MIDI d vice, so MIDI isn't involved.

Go to Setup > MIDI/Remote, and page you over to External. Now assign one of your externals to whatever jack you’ve got your FS-7 plugged into.

One thing to keep in mind is that the external switches keep the same functions no matter what Layout you are on. Built-in switches can have different functions for each layout, but external switches (stand-in switches) can't.

The FS-7 isn’t a MIDI d vice, so MIDI isn't involved.

Go to Setup > MIDI/Remote, and page you over to External. Now assign one of your externals to whatever jack you’ve got your FS-7 plugged into.
As much midi as I have done way back when you would think I would know that...Duh..Thanks for pointing that out :oops:

One thing to keep in mind is that the external switches keep the same functions no matter what Layout you are on. Built-in switches can have different functions for each layout, but external switches (stand-in switches) can't.
Aha Thanks.....actually, for me that will probably be a good thing. All I really want (for now) is to use 1 bank of x number of presets and have scenes and effects available using layouts and views. I'm getting there-thanks to the forum...

Also note that upon power up the first time you tap your stand-in switch nothing happens. You have to tap it again for it to work. After that, it works every time you tap or hold it, until you power up the next time. I think this is a bug, or at least I reported it as a bug.

EThomas.......I have also noticed this !!!!!!
i thought I was just not pressing hard enough.......now I know....it’s needs a Jump start ! Lol
Glad you reported this ! Where did you post the bug report ?
tjx

Also note that upon power up the first time you tap your stand-in switch nothing happens. You have to tap it again for it to work. After that, it works every time you tap or hold it, until you power up the next time. I think this is a bug, or at least I reported it as a bug.
Used your instructions. Got it but have to change a few things, First, I used the utility menu's unassigned fs's. Secondly I set tap and hold to the same thing. I understand now though. What I was trying is Tap preset inc\decr 00-3 wrap and hold to 4-7 and wrap. But I did the same thing on tip and ring, duh again.
I must have done something else because every preset I go to defaults to scene 2?

Back
Top Bottom