So, convince me to sell my Kemper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your are on an Axe 3 site. Of course the majority of people responding are going to say the Axe 3 is better than Kemper. Go to the Kemper site and the majority will say Kemper is better than the Axe 3. People tend to justify their personal gear purchases and put down what they decided not to buy or keep. There is a place in this world for Axe 3, Kemper, Helix, Head Rush, and so on. The endless debate here and there over which is the best really is a waste of time. Just like most serious guitar players have more than one tube amp, it is not a sin to have an Axe 3 and a Kemper Profiler. Leave that “it can only be one” stuff with the Highlander movies.

The difference is he's soliciting opinions from people who own both, and a lot of people who own both are also members of the Kemper forum. More importantly, because they own both they're far more inclined to be objective.

Whether you sell your Kemper or get an Axe may depend on your personality. My buddy tried the Axe and it wasn't for him. He got a Kemper, I use the III so we have both in the band. It is a nice compliment and some of the tones he extracts from that box are stellar and he has never lacked for tone. I came to the point, over the years, of listening to the sound quality coming out of the PA and caring less about what put them there. I still use my Ultra and my XL. They all have their sunshine sounds.

I said something that I won’t reiterate

but simply stated this is a stupid question

no one should convince you to do anything

but I would prefer not seeing a stupid thread like this go on for 5 pages when we all know it’s either a troll or at this point simply not worth any more convincing

can someone convince me otherwise
Please?

I said something that I won’t reiterate

but simply stated this is a stupid question

no one should convince you to do anything

but I would prefer not seeing a stupid thread like this go on for 5 pages when we all know it’s either a troll or at this point simply not worth any more convincing

can someone convince me otherwise
Please?
Sometimes I question reading comprehension. “Convince me” was a figure of speech. Maybe I should have softened it with “please assist me in determining the best option for me” so I didn’t make some people here rush to their safe space. I really don’t need anymore convincing.

I can't say I'm glad the gain doesn't react authentically.
There's always a flip side... sometimes you're glad the the KPA can do things the original amp cannot, like give you more gain. Or less.

So "authenticity" is completely meaningless TO ME. There's a near 0% chance I'll ever play 95% of the amps in the AxeFXIII and I don't have enough nostalgia for the other 5% that having controls that "behave just like the original" is even on the 1st page of requirements.

If amp nostalgia was that overpowering, hell, I'd just buy the amps.

the KPA can do things the original amp cannot, like give you more gain

Unlike other parameters in the KPA, increasing gain by 3 or 4 steps is more likely to yield unsatisfying results, in my opinion. It's the one parameter that not only doesn't react authentically but often fails to react in a pleasing way when increased from the starting position to 10 or 12 o'clock(or more).

So "authenticity" is completely meaningless TO ME. There's a near 0% chance I'll ever play 95% of the amps in the AxeFXIII and I don't have enough nostalgia for the other 5% that having controls that "behave just like the original" is even on the 1st page of requirements.

Fine with me. Personally, I appreciate the effect imparted by some of the original tone controls, such as Depth, MV, Gain and the interaction between some of them, but that's me.

Rush to a safe space? That’s a term or idiom im not familiar with....???

anyway you got the point I think: if you don’t see the axe 3 is , at the very least and Understatedly, even just a little SLIGHTLY better in every way, I’m convinced it’s Insincere or a disingenuous OP

I didn’t offend anyone Ithought
Ok I mean no offensr

Unlike other parameters in the KPA, increasing gain by 3 or 4 steps is more likely to yield unsatisfying results, in my opinion. It's the one parameter that not only doesn't react authentically but often fails to react in a pleasing way when increased from the starting position to 10 or 12 o'clock(or more).

Fine with me. Personally, I appreciate the effect imparted by some of the original tone controls, such as Depth, MV, Gain and the interaction between some of them, but that's me.
Lest anyone think otherwise, I really love that the FAS engine gives authentic control behavior AND all the deep editing. I just don't understand why people think the Kemper should be the same way. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I just don't understand why people think the Kemper should be the same way. It just doesn't make sense to me.

My hunch is they don't merely want a slice of an amp. They want the whole enchilada. Authentic control means not having to rely on someone else to create profiles that conform to your tonal preferences/requirements.

There are a multitude of tonal colors available via the component modeling of the Axe FX (and by extension real tube gear), and these are missing when increasing or decreasing the generic gain of the KPA.

Things like adjusting the preamp vs power amp saturation, preamp filtering, power amp and X-Former interaction, PI influence etc, all of which are impossible with the KPA which does capture the source's general freq spectrum beautifully, but not it's gain staging which is a critical element with tube guitar amp circuits (though not so much with solid state guitar amps, which the KPA more closely mimics IME).

I'm a little surprised how many still have both!

The Kemper has something special going on too. I've gone on a bit about how I believe that the AxeFx III is markedly superior, but the Kemper is still a very capable and toneful piece of gear. I picked one up recently, and it's not going anywhere.

That said--if I could no longer afford to keep both, the Kemper would leave first....and with few regrets.

No reason to keep a kemper when you have an axe

I can think of a few. There are profiles of amps available for the Kemper that haven't been modeled in the Axe, and it can be fun to mix and match cabs in the Kemper with amps in the Axe-Fx. In fact, I've captured a number of cabs in the Kemper using the Axe-Fx's built-in IR capture utility. Both units together allow for creating presets with three amps, and you can also use the Tone Match feature with amps in the Kemper. There are a number of interesting ways to use the Axe and Kemper together that open up new possibilities.

Last edited:
I mean I “get” your point but with the constant updates, other packs, and what not I have everything REALLY NEEDED AND RELEVANT

like look at that dude’s favorite amp list a few threads Down; literally, that’s such a comprehensive list alone (forget SUS, Austin buddy and all the rest) that the axe actually does and can or will

I respectfully disagree; but enjoy all the gear yoh.like and can afford

free country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom