So, convince me to sell my Kemper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, the Kemper is a modeler. The difference is, it automates the process of filling in the parameters.
You're correct, but I was trying to make a point with a (slightly imprecise) analogy rather giving a technical summary of how the devices work. Yes, the gain and EQ controls on the Kemper have some intelligence behind them. That generic intelligence is inferior to a precise representation of a specific amp, and sometimes the results aren't very usable.

You're correct, but I was trying to make a point with a (slightly imprecise) analogy rather giving a technical summary of how the devices work. Yes, the gain and EQ controls on the Kemper have some intelligence behind them. That generic intelligence is inferior to a precise representation of a specific amp, and sometimes the results aren't very usable.

Right, and I think it's important to note that the Kemper's tone controls don't react authentically.

Believe it or not the Kemper is actually a modeler. The difference is it automates the process of filling in parameters.

With the limitations imposed by the snapshot aspect, there is not nearly as much latitude to adjust the EQ and still sound authentic. Hence the need to have so many profiles.

The Kemper is a sampler in a sense, but a very dynamic sampler. The kemper profiling process is why I used to think kemper was superior. It really replicates the sounds, with kind of a sampler type way, and the response is totally accurate dynamically.

Tone wise, the kemper is, in a sense, just as good at modeling any given amp. But the Axe has so much more. Literally, the kemper’s ONLY advantage is its profiling process, but YOU dont do that....you dont have the amps, and if you did, you wouldnt do it anyway

Which leaves you with using people who have better skills and more knowledge and expertise to create the amps for you. In this case, our case, the Axe is obviously better.

I dont know how it profiles or matches tones , and i would like Cliff to explain the difference between the kemper profiling process and how he creates the tones for amps, but obviously there is some tone matching comparable to the kemper process

I believe Ares is the new method, but I have no idea how it works ...TM i mean....anyone care to explain Axe way of getting an amp into its library?

With the limitations imposed by the snapshot aspect, there is not nearly as much latitude to adjust the EQ and still sound authentic.

The front panel tone controls don't react authentically at all. Nevertheless, they are extremely effective and musical, in my opinion.

I purchased a Kemper a few years back, mainly because it has a power amp. Ended up returning it after one week. It just wasn’t for me. One thing I didn’t like was the reliance on other people’s profiles to get a good tone. However if you already have a bunch of great amps, have your set tone (or tones), and don’t tweak or experiment too much...then you may not have a need for an Axe FX.

One of my favorite things about the Axe is how it responds to your guitar and pickups. It sounds very different depending on how you set it up and what you run through it. The Kemper captures the guitar, pickups, room, and everything else that went into making a profile. Which can be good or bad depending on what you’re trying to accomplish. For me, it meant the Guitars I used would sound like different guitars through someone else’s profile. And since I didn’t own any high-end tube amps, there was really no need for me to keep it. Also, the Axe has more effects and cabinets (at least the III does) than you’d ever realistically need. I like having options when forced to run my rig in a different setting or setup.

A sampler uses audio recordings (ie. samples) which are played back via a trigger. The Kemper, on the other hand, is basically a signal processor.
But doesnt it actually input the WAVES.....i mean it might be a question of semantics here, but do you know what I’m saying? It’s not actually recording it to a “tape” for playback, but it simulates/processes the waves and dynamics in order to essentially copy the sound waves of the tone? Is that a better way to put it?

And how does Axe TM work?

But doesnt it actually input the WAVES.....i mean it might be a question of semantics here, but do you know what I’m saying? It’s not actually recording it to a “tape” for playback, but it simulates/processes the waves and dynamics in order to essentially copy the sound waves of the tone? Is that a better way to put it?

I understand. It's just that the term 'sampler' has a specific meaning. There's a difference between recording a sound and playing it back via a trigger, and analyzing the characteristics of a sound and applying those characteristics to another sound.

And how does Axe TM work?

Tone matching analyzes the frequency spectrum of a reference signal and compares it to the frequency spectrum of a target signal. It then averages the spectrum of both signals over time and compensates for differences between the two and applies corrective EQ to the target spectrum in order to (ideally) match the reference spectrum.

I understand. It's just that the term 'sampler' has a specific meaning. There's a difference between recording a sound and playing it back via a trigger, and analyzing the characteristics of a sound and applying those characteristics to another sound.

Tone matching analyzes the frequency spectrum of a reference signal and compares it to the frequency spectrum of a target signal. It then averages the spectrum of both signals over time and compensates for differences between the two and applies corrective EQ to the target spectrum in order to (ideally) match the reference spectrum.
That almost sounds like it is creating through subtracting...(?)

Your are on an Axe 3 site. Of course the majority of people responding are going to say the Axe 3 is better than Kemper. Go to the Kemper site and the majority will say Kemper is better than the Axe 3. People tend to justify their personal gear purchases and put down what they decided not to buy or keep. There is a place in this world for Axe 3, Kemper, Helix, Head Rush, and so on. The endless debate here and there over which is the best really is a waste of time. Just like most serious guitar players have more than one tube amp, it is not a sin to have an Axe 3 and a Kemper Profiler. Leave that “it can only be one” stuff with the Highlander movies.

Your are on an Axe 3 site. Of course the majority of people responding are going to say the Axe 3 is better than Kemper. Go to the Kemper site and the majority will say Kemper is better than the Axe 3. People tend to justify their personal gear purchases and put down what they decided not to buy or keep. There is a place in this world for Axe 3, Kemper, Helix, Head Rush, and so on. The endless debate here and there over which is the best really is a waste of time. Just like most serious guitar players have more than one tube amp, it is not a sin to have an Axe 3 and a Kemper Profiler. Leave that “it can only be one” stuff with the Highlander movies.
I don’t think it’s impossible for people with experience with both to give their opinions on which is better. After I try both of them, the forum I’m on won’t determine my opinion.

I love my Axe Fx and still feel that the Axe Fx III is hands down the best gear purchase of my 35+ years of being a musician.

But you're just pulling numbers out of your ass here. ;)
Take what you said, add to that by about all of us (members) and the ones who don’t join world wide , and every single guitarist of any real value merit or skill and talent , ability or gift or whatever has or has plans to get the axe 3. My estimate may have been slightly precise given the sample pool lol

literally, every “good” professional uses an axe 3 Or plans to get it, and if they haven’t heard of it they won’t count in this and once do theywill and they will be part of the want it group

if I asked anyone who plays guitar who knows just basics on guitar and amps and toldthem what it did and they’d never need another thing again for the rest of their guitar playing days, and had themoney they’d go for it I think

Ok ? My ass has a talent for just dumping this info ...it ain’t me I swear ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom