So an update on my issues using the Axe with an amp...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
I posted a while back on what a nightmare I've had trying to use the AxeII fx only with a Matchless DC30 at church. I tried everything. Input only, 4cm, into the return with cabs disabled. EVERYTHING was bad. There was this clipping digital distortion on everything. Before with just the Axe I had issues with it was well, although it wasn't as prominent. I've gone back and forth with our FOH guys and tech crew replacing cables, mic's trying different channels...you name it. Nothing worked. So today between our 3rd and 4th service of the morning we had a few minutes and it had been super bad all morning. I played and the FOH said it sounded great, crystal clear. I assumed it must be in the Aviom system and asked him to plug into my Aviom unit so he could hear what I have to hear. He does so, looks at me quizzically and says "it's crystal clear". I said there was no way, plugged my custom molded Alclair's in and there it was....snap, crackle, and fizz. He hands me some Westone triple driver universals we keep for our singers to use. Again, CRYSTAL CLEAR. It's been my IEM's all along. I never even considered the possibility since they are only a few months old.

Can't believe that's been the issue all this time. Makes sense in hindsight...being the common denominator and all....

Wow, thanks for the update Jason! Aren't you glad you didn't sell the Fractal gear and go back to your old setup!?

I had a similar experience with a brand new set of IEMs, they had some sort of short/something that kept happening (not all the time) and it kept switching to mono. I knew it wasn't the AFX cos my studio monitors were stereo, but live my IEMs get screwing me around. I must have replaced my IEM adapters (they are always the first to blame) about 5 times before I realised it was my brand new IEMs that were at fault.:oops:

Sent them back to Shure and got a replacement set without any quibbles. :D

EDIT: Might be an idea to update the original thread so anyone reading it will know and not be put off

Hate to hear you're having problems with your IEMs, but considering the alternative, this sounds like good news!

I did listen with just my ears, obviously...and there is a definite thing going on that I don't get with just an Axe...but part of it is just the nature of the beast when hitting a non-mv amp at the edge of breakup with fx. what was confusing was that the issues in the IEM's were exaggerating it SO MUCH it made me doubt what I was hearing without them. It's like it had been taking that distortion I'm getting from the power amp breaking up and multiplying it times 10 in the IEM's.

That's OK. I was playing in a duo so we set up our own gear. Plugged my rig into the PA and no sound. In a panic, I had the cover off the system, and was starting to trouble shoot connections, and I found the problem. Most amps work better if you plug them into a power outlet before use.

I'll save Cliff the trouble... Doh.

Man, I'm glad you got that squared away! Also glad you didn't give up. A lot of folks would have thrown in the towel and declared the Axe a failure.

Well at least you were able to get it sorted out. There is no worse feeling than doubting yourself when it comes to your tone.

I did listen with just my ears, obviously...and there is a definite thing going on that I don't get with just an Axe...but part of it is just the nature of the beast when hitting a non-mv amp at the edge of breakup with fx. what was confusing was that the issues in the IEM's were exaggerating it SO MUCH it made me doubt what I was hearing without them. It's like it had been taking that distortion I'm getting from the power amp breaking up and multiplying it times 10 in the IEM's.

What did the manufacturer say? Hopefully it was a no-quibble quick replacement of the IEMs.

What brand of IEMs?
Alclair. Already been in conversation with them. They actually saw my post on here, lol. Trying to get it sorted now. Said I may need a higher headroom model. I don't run my Aviom hot at all, though. Like half on the master, most channels at half or a bit more. It's pretty much conversational level...

I just have to say that I have no experience with any of the problems that people point out in these types of posts. I do not question their posts or experiences I just have never had any problems with my units, other than scraping together the money to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom